Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bees & mead  (Read 1486 times)

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
Bees & mead
« on: March 19, 2012, 04:31:54 pm »

This is a part of suggestion - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104665.0
It would be nice if bees will produce mead witch depends on "flowers" kinds witch in certain radius out of hive.
After dorfs eat this mead they will be exposed by it's effect.
To produce "good" mead you need to control vegetation zone around hive.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Bees & mead
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 11:48:37 pm »

OK, sorry to not respond to this topic for so long, but I guess the best way to state my response is that I agree with it in general principle.  In fact, others and I have argued for something similar before, as a part of larger threads on more general issues.

You might want to look up these older topics, which covered the same topic in more detail:
Buzzin' Beard's bee thread, which features basically everything you'd ever care to know about bees from a veteran beekeeper, and ways in which that knowledge could be practically applied to the game as it stands.

And,
Improved Farming Rebooted, which goes into excruciating detail about how players could possibly manage a more complex farming system so as to better engineer the sort of specific honey types that could be generated in a more complex farming system that includes the likes of farming flowers and other "polycultures" where specific plants that attract or repel insects work in concert with standard crops.

Bumblebees, for example, are creatures that actually aren't kept for their honey-producing qualities, but because they are the only creatures that can naturally fertilize some fruit-bearing trees, and as such, are a necessary component of many commercial fruit orchards.

I know just throwing a link to older topics may not be much help, but there's a point where I've basically already said everything I can say on the topic, and would just rehash some of the same old things.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 03:27:02 pm »

I despise bees. Bees should all die. Fuck bees.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 04:30:19 pm »

I despise bees. Bees should all die. Fuck bees.

That would mean the death of a huge number of citrus fruit, as they cannot pollinate and bear fruit without bumblebees, especially.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 11:55:53 am »

It's worth it!

(also by the way I like this suggestion! More complication!)
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 12:02:35 pm »

Worth it, but only if we can have honey stack size bigger than 1, so we can get barrels bigger than mead [5]. :(