Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The war animals, they do nothing.  (Read 4681 times)

UHaulDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • kiwisbybeat.com/minus
    • View Profile
The war animals, they do nothing.
« on: March 26, 2012, 05:18:10 am »

So I was looking for this troll that apparently causing mischief, when I saw my expedition leader in bed with a vampire.(I was paused)
So I set the bed for removal and set to making a room in a hill to keep my vampire in.
On unpausing  I saw that I was to late to save my expedition leader, and that the vampire had just appoint its self mayor.
So I made the room I was making have all the items needed for a mayor, when it hit me that I was wasting my time and just made a burrow locked the door and filled in the passageway with a wall.
Even after I chose someone else to be mayor, the vampire still thinks its mayor. Its now stuck in the hillside with the furniture I left there waiting for its mandate to be filled.

Back to the subject, In the room with the expedition leader was a Giant War Leopard assigned to the el. It just sat there and did nothing. In fact its still doing nothing, its still my departed el's pet, and its in the room where the el was killed(Which I made into the el' tomb).

What gives? Aren't war animals supposed to protect there owners?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human dwarven stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein Urist McStein

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The war animals, they do nothing.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 05:33:07 am »

They are supposed to protect their owners, yes, and it would if the Vampire had been Hostile. Or even Wild Animal, probably.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 05:36:52 am »

^^^ This

It won't attack "friendly" entities, even blodsucking fuckwits.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 07:34:28 am »

dwarves will defend themselves from friendly dwarves in the case of being targeted by a tantruming dwarf for a fist fight.  Do pets get involved in fistfights?
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 07:52:56 am »

dwarves will defend themselves from friendly dwarves in the case of being targeted by a tantruming dwarf for a fist fight.  Do pets get involved in fistfights?

I think I've never seen a dwarf actively defending himself from a tantrum dwarf.
Dodge/block followed by a counterattack yes, but never a "real" offensive action.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 08:17:10 am »

Hell, I had the military stationed in a room where a vampire was doing his business.  No dice.  In fact, nobody even reported witnessing the crime (this was a 3x3 bedroom).  Vampire moves to the next room over, does it again, and nobody responds.  Also, one was my prize metalsmith.  The other was my expert lasher.  A FUCKING LASHER.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

vintermann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 08:45:26 am »

Hell, I had the military stationed in a room where a vampire was doing his business.  No dice.  In fact, nobody even reported witnessing the crime (this was a 3x3 bedroom).

Unofficial police code?

UHaulDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • kiwisbybeat.com/minus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 11:47:17 am »

I think the problem here is that the vampire "action" is not coded as an attack, as to not be posted in the reports.
Keeping something hidden in a game that shows is self as soon as its in known territory is tricky.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human dwarven stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein Urist McStein

Bilanthri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 12:54:22 pm »

I think the problem here is that the vampire "action" is not coded as an attack, as to not be posted in the reports.
Keeping something hidden in a game that shows is self as soon as its in known territory is tricky.

Not to mention that if it was a hostile action it could cause a loyalty spiral. Very tricky indeed.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 03:23:27 pm »

Not to mention that if it was a hostile action it could cause a loyalty spiral. Very tricky indeed.

Nah, you can't cause loyalty cascades that way

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 03:36:34 pm »

Nah, you can't cause loyalty cascades that way
It would if the vampire attack was considered a hostile action, and the vampire was still considered part of your civ.  Thats what he was referring to.  Thankfully it doesn't work that way.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 03:37:52 pm »

Dwarfs killed during fist fights don't initiate loyalty cascades, and animals can't continue the chain

UHaulDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • kiwisbybeat.com/minus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 02:43:26 am »

If a vampire or any other night creature was discoverer, wouldn't they be excommunicated from the civilization?

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 05:35:09 am »

Excommunicated? - To spooky mansion up the hill where they mail order dark cloaks with large collars. That or burnt at the stake.