Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksdwarves won't take ammo?  (Read 1542 times)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
Marksdwarves won't take ammo?
« on: May 12, 2013, 02:53:52 am »

I'd made my marksdwarf some bolts, a quiver, and a crossbow. I had set it up in the equipment screen, and set the ammunition (Hunters at 10, not that I had any at the time, and the dwarf at 20; I had a lot more than 30 bolts at the time). However, when I sent him to kill a coyote, he beat it with the crossbow. Upon checking his inventory, he was carrying the quiver and crossbow, but no bolts. Any help on how to get him to take some bolts into combat?

Also, sorry for any spelling/grammar errors, I'm a bit tired right now.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 02:18:13 pm by flameboy99 »
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
Re: Marksdwarves won't take ammo?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 04:28:36 am »

I think this is horribly bugged. It seems to have been a problem for years.

I've also done the same, was under siege, had a protected cliff, tried to send marksdwarfs out to stand there and get some practice, they just stood there. no bolts. At some random point later, one of them went and picked up a quiver full, despite a couple hundred available.
Then they ran out....and stood there.. despite tons more on a stockpile..

firsal

• Bay Watcher
  • A thin creature prone to great ambition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 04:47:47 am »

I think this is horribly bugged. It seems to have been a problem for years.

I've also done the same, was under siege, had a protected cliff, tried to send marksdwarfs out to stand there and get some practice, they just stood there. no bolts. At some random point later, one of them went and picked up a quiver full, despite a couple hundred available.
Then they ran out....and stood there.. despite tons more on a stockpile..

I think you should have canceled their orders for a minute or two for them to get ammo. IIRC, marksdwarves will not pick up ammo while stationed.

As for the asker, have you assigned ammo for combat to the marksdwarves?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 04:52:59 am by firsal »

Victor6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 05:01:49 am »

9 times out of ten a 'bug' is just Urist being Urist.

Assuming you didn't muck up the material settings;-
1. Did you have bolts available in a stockpile when the marksdwarf wanted to pick them up? It's no good having bolts in a bin that's being carried somewhere or in someones quiver.
2. Are the bolts already in multiples that allow for your current ammunition setup? Dwarves do not manually split stacks of bolts iirc. You may have 1 stack of 30 bolts which the hunter took.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 05:13:07 am »

9 times out of ten a 'bug' is just Urist being Urist.

Assuming you didn't muck up the material settings;-
1. Did you have bolts available in a stockpile when the marksdwarf wanted to pick them up? It's no good having bolts in a bin that's being carried somewhere or in someones quiver.
2. Are the bolts already in multiples that allow for your current ammunition setup? Dwarves do not manually split stacks of bolts iirc. You may have 1 stack of 30 bolts which the hunter took.

Yeah, I had their orders cancelled, they picked up everything else, just not the bolts. They picked up the crossbow, the quiver, I actually had them standing around for about 10 minutes before the siege happened. They never picked up anything during that time.

However, not picking up ammo while stationed doesn't make sense. What are they supposed to do when they run out?

2. As for this how exactly are you supposed to accomplish that?
You get stacks of bolts that show up randomly (dropped by hunters, killed caravans, loose bolts retrieved, etc) are they just unusable because they don't add up to the randomly assigned amount? It defaults to 100 or something like that.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 02:17:22 pm »

I think this was the problem. It's working fine now, thanks.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.