Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What harm can one more cause? [world building thread]  (Read 611 times)

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
What harm can one more cause? [world building thread]
« on: November 14, 2014, 08:04:49 pm »

preface
This has been brewing in my head for roughly a year now. I've been putting off doing this for way too long, and this could also be a good way to organize some of my thoughts. It has gone through a few major stages, but now I'm pretty settled on the concept.  I already have a map, some history, and a few species already sorted out.  The setting itself spawned out of me thinking "what if religion was undoubtedly true?".(How do punctuate). Video games (coughSkyrimcough) generally have you interacting directly with creatures from hell, yet gods only exist as flavor and temporary buffs. Currently I'm focusing my efforts onto one continent (it's pretty darn small, around the size of Spain). It doesn't have a name, though. That's still being worked on.

overview
    The world is set on the wings of a giant bird. That bird is known as Bird Earth. Birds Sun and Moon fly next to him through the infinite night. The stars are also cosmic fowl, but they don't factor in too much. Humans are cared for by Bird Sun, although none of the three know who actually created them. Humans worship Bird Sun as their deity, mostly, although there are those that follow the word of Bird Earth, and fewer still who consider Bird Moon their patron deity. Humans are in the Roman era of technology, although they have advanced technologically farther than the Empire got to in our world. The valkyries looks like human women, but with wings. They're the daughters of Bird Sun, and were born out of fire to protect the humans during the first trollish invasion (Bird Sun is considered female, although it's unsure if space-birds have any true gender). They now rule over most of the human-city states.
    The trolls are strange and fierce beasts. They originated from the caves up high in the mountains, and they still live there now. They look similar to humans, although their skin color is much more diverse. They also are slightly shorter and less bulky than humans, and have a mouth of sharp teeth that grow constantly throughout their lives, much like rats. Trolls are born with white/grey/black hair, but they dye and cut it into strange shapes and colors. They love to fight. And Argue. And generally annoy each other. Greetings generally involve insults, and they enjoy it that way. Trolls were created by Bird Moon because He thought it would be funny, although He refuses to admit that. The trolls came down from the mountains and ransacked many human towns while they were unprepared, so there was a lot of carnage. They eventually were beaten back once the valkyries rallied the humans, although there is still the occasional raid.
    The arborians are the only creatures created by Bird Earth himself. They look like people made out of trees, if it wasn't obvious. They were created once the Birds first took notice of humans to learn more about them. He still maintains frequent contact with his tree-people. Arborians don't have genders, because they reproduce through the seeds of their lifetrees, which is the tree that an arborian grows from. Humans and trolls alike treat the arborians as if they were male. Being literally part of nature, the arborians have an easy time with magic.

Spoiler: Map! oooh (click to show/hide)

What next?
I'm going to get more in depth about everything as time goes on. Right now I just want to get this posted to serve as a form of motivation to keep updating. I might set up a poll if people are interested to vote on what I should write about next.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).