Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Let's Bitch About Work: Businesses are Stupid  (Read 6980 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Bitch About Work: Businesses are Stupid
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2015, 04:25:49 pm »

Yeah, that's pretty much my plan. The problem is when we get requests for critical additional support like....NOW. And the process states that they have 3 business days to approve a change request. And their program manager has already said he will not approve any retroactive change requests.

So I'm having to come in and be all hard-ass like "No approved change, go fuck yourself."
"But..."
"Fuck. Your. Self. In the nicest way possible, of course."

It's a bit of a change, since I've been the implementation PM on this project for months now. People are used to coming to me, saying what they need to happen, and BOOM it happens. They're taken aback when their magical cornucopia of making shit happen has suddenly dried up and has a big "Insert Coin Here" label on it.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2015, 04:28:16 pm »

Which is why our PM has started introducing a 1 to 2 day lead time on anything we do for clients. You'd think the ability to deliver on requests the same day would be great for business, but all it seems to do is convince our customers we can work miracles, and suddenly when we can't, we're the assholes. So while we like being agile, we've learned to keep that agility internal unless it really, truly matters.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2015, 04:40:01 pm »

Which is why our PM has started introducing a 1 to 2 day lead time on anything we do for clients. You'd think the ability to deliver on requests the same day would be great for business, but all it seems to do is convince our customers we can work miracles, and suddenly when we can't, we're the assholes. So while we like being agile, we've learned to keep that agility internal unless it really, truly matters.

This is clever. I approve.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2015, 05:27:43 pm »

A coworker just gave me the distilled meaning of the policy:

"If a customer doesn't know you're doing them a favor, then it's not a favor."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2015, 07:11:27 pm »

I envy that you guys are in positions where you're actually allowed to do this.  Where I am, saying "no" for any reason ever is seen as failing at your job, no matter how unrealistic the demand is.

This is like a high-stakes game of Simon Says.  ???

Also, this is an amazing description.  Much of my time is spent obsessively documenting who gave us what information or approval for a course of action with timestamps.  The very first thing we hear whenever an issue catches the attention of someone higher up is "We demand a complete timeline".
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 07:15:21 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2015, 08:12:52 pm »

So the only other person on the team announced their resignation today.  She doesn't even have another job lined up, but they finally pushed her to quit anyway by forcing her to work this past weekend, while she's in the middle of trying to prepare for her wedding.  There goes the only other person on the team that had good skills and work ethic, and was easy to work with.  Now I'm the only person who isn't psychotically dramatic and understands how to keep things running smoothly.  Meanwhile, the workload continues exploding, and crisis keeps building up.  Her last day is Thursday.  My own job search isn't going well.  I am truly terrified.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]