Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to play as humans?  (Read 5117 times)

atazs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to play as humans?
« on: December 13, 2016, 07:23:44 am »

Ok i enabled Humans for Fortress mod in the launcher, i chose the Human embark option but i still embarked with dwarves. What gives? What do i need to do? On the current world i can only choose one civilization which is the dwarf one. Humans shouldn't be extinct on the world either. I saw a guy playing Masterwork as Humans but he literally just embarked and he was playing as humans. I don't get it.
Someone on Reddit seemed to have the same problem, but he was so helpful he just later edited the post and said "I figured it out :)". Well gee thanks so much for the helpful information pal. I guess i'm just dumb.

So yeah how do i play as humans or something that aren't dwarves?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 07:25:56 am by atazs »

Dookmiester

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ferrets for their weasel war dances.
    • View Profile
Re: How to play as humans?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 10:57:45 am »

Uh did you unmark the dwarves alongside marking the humans as on? I haven't tried humans in a long while but I'd wagger that may be the problem. If not then I really don't know.  :-X

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to play as humans?
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 11:34:33 am »

i do i was just wondering if there was a specific link i should use, also i cant figure out how to change my civ type, from dwarfs to anything else,
Ok i enabled Humans for Fortress mod in the launcher, i chose the Human embark option but i still embarked with dwarves. What gives? What do i need to do? On the current world i can only choose one civilization which is the dwarf one. Humans shouldn't be extinct on the world either. I saw a guy playing Masterwork as Humans but he literally just embarked and he was playing as humans. I don't get it.
Someone on Reddit seemed to have the same problem, but he was so helpful he just later edited the post and said "I figured it out :)". Well gee thanks so much for the helpful information pal. I guess i'm just dumb.

So yeah how do i play as humans or something that aren't dwarves?

simple on the Civs page in the Masterwork Dwarf Fortress App, enable the Civ/Civs you wish to play on your next map(active = possible to appear, Fort = playable in fort mode, Adv = playable in Adventure mode)...  Go to Create New World in game.  If you want to play both say orcs and dwarves on a map, make sure that the number of civs is at least Medium.  If you selected all of them to be active and fort playable and want to be able to play them all, Then select High.

Additionally if you are in the Design New World with Advanced Parameters menu (better because the additional map options let you create map environments that you may wish to try out) you can enter the parameters with E.  there go to the 11th page and set number of civilizations to at least  40.  I try to set it to 2-4 times the number of civs that are set to active in the Civs/invaders tab, 100 will nearly guarantee all civs show up on the map, and multiples of each.  Also right below that ensure that playable race is set to yes.

Now then the world generates, once its completed you could load all the map data into an external viewer(see info on the legend viewer of your choice), but that's not necessary.  In game go to start playing, choose fortress mode, and select your new map.  Once the map is loaded and your on your map screen use TAB to change info screens.  the two important ones are the ones that look like this:

Now then If you look the first page has Humans at the top of the list.  This is the race of the current selected Civ in the second screen,  If you change civs and go  back to the other page the top race will change to the new civ:

So by doing this you can select a Civ that supports the Race you wish to play. 

The other way to do select the race you want is to do so in the civ menu.  Select only the race you want to be able to play as Fort and only that race.  When you generate the next map that race will have to be on the map and it will be the only race playable in fort mode.  A decent way to increase the number of seiges is to select one race of one faction (say dwarf, they are "civilized" aligned), then select all the races of the other factions, slavers, evil, savage... generally the different factions do not get along as their desires of right and wrong are opposite and more wars will break out.  Then set the civs to 2 times the races selected as above.  you will end up with 2 to 4 of every race on the map including the race you want to play.  then select the civ with the most at war tags in the race page from above.

In either case, you can select the race you want.  but in the first version you have to do it at the embark location selection screen, and in the second you do it in the masterwork settings themselves.

---cut and pasted from a previous post I made in the masterwork main discussion. Posted here for relevance and ease of access for new players.---
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 11:46:56 am by Amostubal »
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal