Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Well and rock floor grate  (Read 2927 times)

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Well and rock floor grate
« on: October 10, 2018, 09:25:48 am »

t is possible to build wells directly above one another, and they will still function if there is water below. They will not obstruct one another, as they are not impassible structures. Hatches, floor bars and floor grates will block well functionality, if they are between it and the water, but grates and bars will not stop water from flooding out. Grates, bars and hatches will allow functionality again if opened with a lever.

This is from Wiki. But I saw in a tutorial video that, in order ti avoid invasion from swimming building destroyers, you could use a floor grate

Is the Wiki wrong?
http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Well and rock floor grate
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 01:59:53 pm »

Nope. Neither is wrong.

Wells draw water from the top of a water column. This can be above where the grate blocks off the bucket. This is also why there's recommendation to make one's well tile at least 2 deep to avoid mud: it's only muddy in the bottom.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 07:53:14 pm »

Quote from: The wiki
t is possible to build wells directly above one another, and they will still function if there is water below. They will not obstruct one another, as they are not impassible structures. Hatches, floor bars and floor grates will block well functionality, if they are between it and the water, but grates and bars will not stop water from flooding out. Grates, bars and hatches will allow functionality again if opened with a lever.

Quote from: The wiki, two sentences later
... It is possible to have obstacles beneath a well, with the well continuing to function, if the surface of the water is above the obstacles.

But I saw in a tutorial video that, in order ti avoid invasion from swimming building destroyers, you could use a floor grate

Is the Wiki wrong?

Much effort has been put into making the wiki accurate--far more than any tutorial, I'll wager.

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 12:13:51 pm »

heh, english isn't my native language, my bad :)
http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress