Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will Legacy be developed anymore?  (Read 821 times)

DreamWizard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Will Legacy be developed anymore?
« on: November 18, 2023, 02:33:11 pm »

I know time and resources are quite limited, but I have to ask if DF legacy (ASCII version) will continue to be developed any more? Been waiting on updated mac silicon version but ran out of breath...

If you're still not sure, can you tell us *what it would take* to be able to develop Legacy DF for modern machines? And if you are open to doing so?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will Legacy be developed anymore?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2023, 06:25:07 pm »

In DF terminology, "Legacy" refers to the pre-SDL updated engine for ancient versions of Windows, which you can see for pre-v50 DF at http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/older_versions.html. So, for the question as you worded it, no, Legacy will no longer be developed.

Given that you mention Mac, I think what you mean is Classic, which if you look at the above link again you can see there are Linux versions available for only the most recent versions. The Mac version is complicated by Apple making it more difficult to develop for, with ever changing targets and requirements. Don't buy into a walled garden platform then complain that your friends can't get over the wall.

That said, Toady has said multiple that they are working towards a Mac version, including less than 2 months ago with:
The Linux release is on a Steam beta and once that's clear of crashes and major problems, we should have that up everywhere, including here on Classic. This opens the door to Mac work. I imagine we're nearly to the phase where a new Mac computer enters the scene.
So, you'll just hav to be more patient as they hav a lot to deal with, including a recent death in the family.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

DreamWizard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2023, 11:12:08 am »

Thanks for the reply and I am sorry for the loss of a family member. I wasn't trying to be insensitive, I actually am a fan of Legacy DF (pre-v50) more than I am of the v50++ (am I the only one? lol..) so was just wondering if the 'ancient' versions would ever see the development side of things again.

I have a Windows gaming pc as well as Mac (for work/etc), and I play legacy on my windows pc. But I find the experience more enjoyable on my old mac laptop that is no longer viable. I knew it may be a long shot but I had to ask!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2023, 09:27:37 pm »

V50 is the result of development from ver .47 (what you're calling "Legacy" not what Legacy DF actually is). So we already have exactly what you're asking for.

What you are probably looking for is a fork with .47 as a starting point to fix bugs (except the ones you enjoy), add modern elements but not too many, improve the UI but not too much, improve the way the graphics work but not too much, etc. Would need people who agreed what that is supposed to be and, vitally, how much development is "too much" for this theoretical group of elitists, etc.

And the source code obviously, which you're not likely to ever get.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 09:30:56 pm by Shonai_Dweller »