Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d16] Stray Lava Kitten  (Read 1485 times)

Grimic

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma cures all.
    • View Profile
[40d16] Stray Lava Kitten
« on: October 18, 2009, 11:24:56 am »

So there I was dropping cats into a volcano, when this happened:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's just standing there not moving at all.

E: Just to clarify, temperature has never been turned off, and several recruits/other animals including kittens died while this one survived.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 11:36:37 am by Grimic »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: [40d16] Stray Lava Kitten
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 01:32:33 pm »

Does it stay alive if you save and reload?

Grimic

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma cures all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 02:29:27 pm »

...That got rid of it, but I still wonder what caused it. Seems like the game just stopped checking for and updating the kitten after it fell a Z-level.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 03:35:31 pm »

It's possible the kitten fell on top of another one, as that's known to cause some interesting issues (namely, it cancels all falling damage, so one can survive a drop from 20 Z-levels unharmed simply by landing on a goblin).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 03:36:45 pm »

^^^ That might be worth checking out, seems like it would be hard to duplicate though.

Too bad.  If it had lasted through a save/load, it would have been a lot easier to track down.

Any circumstances you can think of that were different for that one cat?  Marked for slaughter, passing out from a prior injury, anything.

Grimic

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma cures all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 04:56:56 pm »

Nope, the kitten was a perfectly normal, newly-arrived migrant, but late enough to not have been flashing a gray "x". It might have been on it's way to chase/stockpile vermin at the time it fell in, but I didn't see any sign of that. There were about 7 or 8 other units (6 recruits, a donkey, and another kitten I believe) packed close together at the edge of an incomplete bridge where I pulled the switch to drop the sacrifice, and no volcano critters below as far as I'm sure.

Seems unlikely, but the most believable explanation is that the kitten jumped when the bridge opened and fell on top of one of the other sacrifices just before they vanished into smoke (in relation to the bug Quietust mentioned). That's one hell of a fat chance, though.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 07:43:38 am »

There is a bug that occasionally rears it's head that results in creatures becoming magma immune. I had a Dwarf once that spent nearly four years swimming around the Magma Pipe wrestling Fire Imps to death with his bare hands (havining modded Imps to appear in clusters of 30 - 50) once, and i remember seeing at least one other person who had a similar thing happen.

No-one is quite sure what causes it. The falling damage thing could be it.