Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question  (Read 1160 times)

UristMcADVENTUREMODE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question
« on: February 05, 2011, 10:45:30 pm »

New kid here,how does throwing work? it never seems to move anybody. also, is there a way to fly or hover?

Imakuni

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Dance Floor!!
    • View Profile
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 10:57:23 pm »

With throwing, you press 't', choose the item you want to throw, move the 'X' cursor over the target you want to throw it at (The target to be either perfectly diagonal or perfectly straight to you I believe) and then press enter. Not really much to it.

To your second question, I don't think there is.
Urist McImmigrant: "What?! Hey! What's going onnn---aaaaRRRGGHH!!"
Urist McSurgeon: "Must remove the rot, yes.  This one is unclean, ssssss.  Purity of essence, yesss."
Urist McImmigrant: "Whhaa---aaaARRGHH OW!  MY PANCREAS!  AAAAGGHH!! THAT'S MY - NOOOOO---AAARRGHGHHH!!!"
Urist McImmigrant has suffocated.

Deadly Lamarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 11:01:59 pm »

g -> gets things you stand over.
t -> opens your inventory for throwing related purposes.
? -> throw object where ? is the letter of the object in your inventory you want to throw.

ninja'd. Also what Imakuni said.

is there a way to fly or hover?

alt+direction near a cliff will make you fly down.

... sorry. No, you can't fly or hover without modding, but it is possible if you add the flying token, whatever that is. I forget. Don't worry about it.

In 40d, flying, which still required modding, was like having staircases everywhere; you use < and > to go up or down. I imagine it's the same in 31.18.
Sometimes you succeed in your goals and sometimes you and everyone around you is murdered by a gigantic spider.

C'est la vie

I'm walking crawling across the continent looking for a crutch. Story shortened, horse ate my foot.

UristMcADVENTUREMODE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 11:03:22 pm »

With throwing, you press 't', choose the item you want to throw, move the 'X' cursor over the target you want to throw it at (The target to be either perfectly diagonal or perfectly straight to you I believe) and then press enter. Not really much to it.

I meant wrestling throwing, but thank you for that information, its helpful too

UristMcADVENTUREMODE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 11:07:10 pm »

g -> gets things you stand over.
t -> opens your inventory for throwing related purposes.
? -> throw object where ? is the letter of the object in your inventory you want to throw.

ninja'd. Also what Imakuni said.

is there a way to fly or hover?

alt+direction near a cliff will make you fly down.

... sorry. No, you can't fly or hover without modding, but it is possible if you add the flying token, whatever that is. I forget. Don't worry about it.

In 40d, flying, which still required modding, was like having staircases everywhere; you use < and > to go up or down. I imagine it's the same in 31.18.
Mod what exactly, the raw files?

Deadly Lamarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 11:12:01 pm »

Yes, you need to add the token to your race's definitions in creature_standard. There's a list of tokens on the wiki: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

I meant wrestling throwing, but thank you for that information, its helpful too

Do you know how to get to the wrestling menu? From there, you have to grab your target, then the next turn you should have the option to throw them from the same menu.

You might need to have a free hand:
p -> put something in a container
d -> drop something you have

It doesn't do a whole lot unless you're bigger.
Sometimes you succeed in your goals and sometimes you and everyone around you is murdered by a gigantic spider.

C'est la vie

I'm walking crawling across the continent looking for a crutch. Story shortened, horse ate my foot.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 02:47:11 am »

Like if you're a human throwing a fox or ground hog.
Or a Bronze Colossus throwing a human.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 02:51:21 am by NewsMuffin »

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 09:58:02 am »

A dwarf with superdwarven strength and in a martial trance can throw humans into walls at lightning speeds, causing them to explode on impact with an obstacle. This was in version 0.31.12, and I might remember it not working in .18
Regardless, martial trances are your best bet for throwing with any success, and only dwarves get them. Sometimes wolves can be thrown as well, but it doesn't really harm them.
Just remember that you have one turn after you execute the throw command before the person is actually thrown.

also, welcome to bay12, UristMcADVENTUREMODE. The wiki is your best friend, and can answer quite a few questions before having to ask anyone in the DF Gameplay Questions section.

I think you're ready to start massacring civilizations now!
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

UristMcADVENTUREMODE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 10:10:51 am »

threw some guy into a building, prompting a hugeass explosion.I'm in love

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 12:09:11 pm »

threw some guy into a building, prompting a hugeass explosion.I'm in love

Is that throwing skill or wrestling?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 01:54:15 pm »

I think throwing as pertains to wrestling is dictated only by wrestler skill.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.