Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just found out about a nifty little book  (Read 877 times)

gamewizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just found out about a nifty little book
« on: November 01, 2012, 05:37:04 pm »

i just found out about getting started with dwarf fortress any one read it is it any good? ::)
edit just downloaded it from a site that shall remain unnamed for now looks promising  :P
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 05:50:28 pm by gamewizard »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Just found out about a nifty little book
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 06:17:17 pm »

The guy who wrote it is a regular here ;)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 06:20:04 pm »

Yeah I wouldn't be so smirky about pirating a book that someone here wrote.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 07:09:16 pm »

Please consider buying a copy. It's well written, has wonderful illustrations, and it makes an excellent conversation piece if you leave it lying about the place when friends are over. All that besides, this is the first published book of note on Dwarf Fortress, and I'm rather hoping it sells well.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 08:20:30 pm »

Aye, that's the one TinyPirate wrote. Thread here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=110480

Also, buying the official ebook version from O'Reilly gets you free updates to it as TinyPirate keeps up with Toady's releases. AND you can get it bundled cheap with a physical version to just leave casually lying around, like a classy book that is also very sexy. There's nothing not to like!

I wouldn't be so smirky
Seconded. Get off my lawn!
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 12:14:51 am »

I'm pretty sure such an overt hinting of piracy isn't such a good idea on this forum, particularly something related to what this forum is big on. That's a bit... brainless, I daresay, not even as artifically stupid as dwarves are.

I was going to ask what the hell do you need a book for DF, until someone kindly linked to the thread about it. It sounds like pretty good beginner or a refresher book. And there're that pleasure of having everything in one spot written by someone. Particularly with a review or two pointing out that it's more detailed tutorial than wiki have to offer. And if it's being kept up to date, it would be worth it for infrequent players or forgetful ones :D