Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help to generate a world with a specific embark location  (Read 729 times)

Usân Khan

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Сайн байна уу
    • View Profile

Hello all. This is my first post, so excuse me and my somewhat poor english.

I've been into Dwarf Fortress for a while already. I have this grand idea for a fortress, but I have been unlucky with generating a world for it, so I have been wondering if someone familiar with the advanced world generator or in some way of modding could help me create or find one.

What I require is a world that has a region with a local embark the size of atleast 4x4, ( in the embark screen ) 5x5 at max. The embark needs to have a river of some sort, but not a brook. The catch here is that I also need a mountain or high slopes immediately after the river. The other side would be just flat plains or a desert. The river should preferrably divide the map from the middle.

Poorly drawn example below in the spoiler. Notice the drop to the river.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As for minerials, iron or copper + tin is a must. Other metals would be a plus. Flux is not necesary. I prefer warm or temperate as climate and either wilderness or calm as surroundings. No haunted as I have never fought undead.

That's pretty much about it. Everything I did not mention is not mandatory. I play without any mods, default ASCII graphics. I have edited the RAWS a bit though to add elven diplomats.

PS. I hope this is in the correct section. Also, I hope I don't sound too demanding. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I prefer the world age as small as possible to avoid dwarven children from taking over my fortresses.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 11:15:51 am by Usân Khan »

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
Re: Need help to generate a world with a specific embark location
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 12:57:56 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57428.0

This tool should help you. It allows you to create your own dream world to some extent.
Though it's quite hard toget an embark location exactly as you desire.
Unless someone before you had such an location already and is willing to share.

A.

Usân Khan

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Сайн байна уу
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 02:42:50 pm »

Hmm. Looks very interesting. I'll try it out, thanks.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 02:55:24 pm »

It is very odd to see something like that. Most of the times you should consider building/digging out something like that for yourself... Or turn off erosion in advanced world gen. Turning off erosion gets the weird crazy terrain you might be looking for.

Alluvian_Est-Endrati

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGRAVERY:MISGUIDED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 04:15:48 pm »

Design a New World with Advanced Parameters: Change the following options as indicated. You will end up with a world with a lot of sheer mountains (and rivers/lakes) with steep drop-offs into water, similar to what you have described. With the extreme elevation variation, you can more easily find a site that will go from mountains to flat deserts/grassland or the like much more easily.
  • Elevation X-Variance: 3200
  • Elevation Y-Variance: 3200
  • Erosion Cycle Count: 0
  • Minimum River Start Locations (Pre-Erosion): 800
  • Desired River Start Locations (Post-Erosion): 800
  • Periodically Erode Extreme Cliffs: No
"I’m going to keep bloody gambling! Bloody, bloody gambling and drinking! Where’s my bloody drink? Anyone want to gamble for it?”

Send in the Clowns: &.&

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 07:57:06 pm »

Elevation X-Variance: 3200
Elevation Y-Variance: 3200
Erosion Cycle Count: 0
Minimum River Start Locations (Pre-Erosion): 800
Desired River Start Locations (Post-Erosion): 800
Periodically Erode Extreme Cliffs: No

And if a warning message appears just press p. There still may be a few rejects though.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 10:03:46 am »

From what I've seen, in 34.11...
The only time you're going to get a canyon-river is where two rivers meet.  And it's going to be symmetrical, so you're going to have to excavate one side to get what you're looking for.  If you want more than 4 z-levels of cliff, that may mean excavating down to rock.  It all depends on how wide you want the cliff-side.  How wide do you want the cliff? (as in, how long should the river run along it.. the whole width/breadth of the embark?)

A few commands in dfhack would get you want you want, including creating a river of any path, with a little planning.  Is this for a mega project?  If you need a vertical working area, you can do it entirely underground, with much less effort.