Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you tell which is newest save  (Read 681 times)

IYIercy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How do you tell which is newest save
« on: January 31, 2014, 11:17:52 pm »

also is there a way to change the way the game saves the game?

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you tell which is newest save
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 01:23:14 am »

I keep a little notebook in my pocket at all times which covers basic things like random spainish and japanese phrases that I might need while on business trips. Notes about work, and the last few pages are notes about things going on in forts, which saves are which forts, and whihc adventures are which, and where things are in adv mode.

Honestly IDK how. you could og straight into the files for DF to check which is the most recent.
And define "the way the game saves"
You mean like make it to autosave. If you're using LNP, there should be an option in 1 of the tabs about autosaving montly, or seasonally, or yearly.

Other than that, dunno

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 05:19:07 am »

if you're not using LNP it's in d_init IIrc

once you saved, you can go to the df folder with the saves and rename the folder from 'region 1' to whatever you want so you know which fort or adventurer it is.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 10:21:38 am »

The "newest" save is the one which does not have a timestamp on it - the ones with timestamps are yearly/seasonal backups and you should always ignore those unless you have a special reason to use them.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 03:29:36 pm »

Yeah I manually rename all my saves.

in the format

<x> <y> <comment>

x is the year, y is the month, (E)arly (S)pring or (M)id (Su)mmer, followed by comment (Steel Breastplate artifact, goblin siege, dwarf caravan just left).

Ill then archive those in a folder in saves, usually  called LATEST, region 2, <world name> whatever I feel like.

That helps me to know which is my "latest save".

Obviously the date modified in windows helps if your meaning that but sometimes ive "got it wrong" when deleting saves based on that (I could have just screwed up).

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 07:34:47 pm »

Yeah I manually rename all my saves.
I assume you mean renaming your save backups - after all, Dwarf Fortress only uses a single save-game for each world, and the only "intended" purpose for saving your game is to pause it for an extended period of time.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 07:43:02 pm »

I guess yes. The major reason why I copy my saves and rename them in the way I described, resulting in about 20Gb and 361 save files in my current most advanced fort is so that I could always go back and document the history of my fort, taking screenshots and recalling events id forgotten.

I do however save scum sometimes.

Didnt even think to clarify that I repeatedly copy my current save, rename and archive.

I do feel that im often working around DFs UI, partially implemented feature set and occasional bugs.

At least thats what I tell myself when i save scum!

I would say that a similar concept for naming saves would help know which is the most recent.

Possibly

<world name> <game mode>

combined with the windows "last modified" should solve my "which is my latest save" presuming even a mild degree of familiarity with the games your currently playing.

I have autosaves perma-off.