Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sound and Doors  (Read 1164 times)

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sound and Doors
« on: August 02, 2008, 01:04:39 am »

When people sleep, if there is a workshop or something too close to there bed room, they get a bad thought.

What im suggesting / asking.

Asking if doors block sound.

if not i'm suggesting it.

Im suggesting that doors should block some sound, and allow work shops to be placed closer to bed rooms.

There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sound and Doors
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 01:08:13 am »

I like it, make sound travel half as far through obstacles and twice as far though air (to simulate the loss in transmitted energy at each material interface) and personally I think it should be stopped dead by soil tiles
The great game of Warlocks!

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Sound and Doors
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 01:51:05 am »

I find the issue with sound is the great distance over the z axis it can travel (it goes as many z levels up as it goes tiles side ways), many normal hallways are wide enough to separate living from working areas but the need to track sound production across z levels is tricky as you need 4 levels between a workshop and a bedroom to shield it.  If a wall is going to attenuate noise at twice the rate of open space the floors should also contribute on the z axis.  And one last thing, different workshops should have different noise levels, a forge might be 10 units of noise vs a clothier's shop at 4, this might also lead to traffic having noise.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download