Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Galactic Arms Race  (Read 2850 times)

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Galactic Arms Race
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 01:48:51 pm »

Currently the game is just seems to be a proof of concept. The only problem is the way the AI is handled and such makes it so that only one type of weapon is even useful.

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 02:02:34 pm »

I'd beg to differ. I've already noticed three different AIs: A flanking AI, a standing AI, and a charging AI. The basic weapon is really only optimal against the standers, whereas I find that bending shots work miracles against flankers, and spread shots that form 'curtains' around you are great against the chargers. Personally, my favorite weapon a shot that's in one piece, it makes a good arcing motion, and right before maximum range it stops and forms a 'mine' of sorts, which is really great for covering retreats.

As well, the ships do shoot at eachother. More than once I've taken advantage of this fact, e.g. running through a space blob to get heat off my tail, and waiting for a pirate-alien battle to thin the ranks a little. It's why the systems tend to lean towards either full-alien or full-pirate after a while, as one faction comes to dominate the other, creating a feedback loop etc...

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 03:05:13 pm »

...Described as a spaceship Diablo...
this.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2009, 03:24:55 pm »

Well hey... At least it's free.

Prove me wrong and I'll vomit.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2009, 03:29:00 pm »

...Described as a spaceship Diablo...
this.
No, that's Nethack in space.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2009, 03:43:18 pm »

actually, the key difference between nethack and diablo is the 'time (diablo is keeping it real). so I would argue that Transcendence is in fact diablo in space.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2009, 04:37:15 pm »

oh THATS the key difference.  shoot, all this time i thought it was depth of gameplay.  Diablo is alot closer to Rogue, but without "hunger".

anyway, i cant even get this thing to run, though it claims to be vista compatible.  i guess i'll try it on my desktop at home later, it looks like it has promise.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2009, 05:45:35 pm »

oh THATS the key difference.  shoot, all this time i thought it was depth of gameplay.  Diablo is alot closer to Rogue, but without "hunger".

anyway, i cant even get this thing to run, though it claims to be vista compatible.  i guess i'll try it on my desktop at home later, it looks like it has promise.

Probably missing the latest XNA version required.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2009, 06:32:54 pm »

no, i followed the little instructions on the website.  it just crashes when i try to run it.  it will probably be fine on the XP desktop, it probably just doesnt support the ATI Mobility in this laptop.  That, or his vista support is shoddy.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2009, 06:33:53 pm »

well it doesn't work for me either, I have installed the XNA and updated my graphics drivers. just crashes right away.

SOULTION (worked fr me): see if your regional settings differ from English(USA), specifically the way floating point numbers are formatted. if so, setting to English(USA) might help. (this is in control panel/regional settings)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 06:41:22 pm by a1s »
Pages: 1 [2]