Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Advanced Options  (Read 929 times)

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Advanced Options
« on: February 08, 2009, 01:32:19 pm »

I would like to reitterate the need for advanced plant-use controls.  Currently the way I use forbidding to get dwarves to mill what I want when I want it.  Suddenly, the next crop pops up, and all my bags that are supposed to be used for food are full of dye, my glass production halts for lack of sand bags, and my dwarves start getting very very hungry very very quickly.  And there's no thread around to dye...  Should we dump it all?  It may be necessary...

The fix to dwarves milling randomly or incorrectly (other then specific placement of stockpiles, which reqire constant attention, and forbidding which is tedious): options allowing one to select not just what is brewed and cooked, but what is milled, thread-processed, extracted.

One person when I spoke of this previously worried that this would be an ungainly list.  Thus I propose that these options be in an advanced menu.  Normally one comes to the kitchen window, and can choose Brew and Cook.  With the pressing of A, they enter Advanced Kitchen, which allows one to chose Cook, Brew, Mill, Thread-processing, Extracting.  Thus the option is there for those that want it, without cluttering up the normal kitchen screen.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced Options
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 01:38:47 pm »

Well, unless I forgot something, it would be easier to make the millstone itself have an option to mill dye and mill food

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 07:10:26 am »

Super-bump.

There's usually not much need to differentiate in the "process plants" order in vanilla DF, but that's simply because all such processing yields thread and it's all comparable if not identical in value. It would still be nice to have that division if more varied cloth types are introduced, in mod or otherwise(like a valuable gather-only cloth plant).

The prior entry has a good compromise that leaves the dwarves some of their "valued" autonomy: milling and extracting could be differentiated by the presence of certain tags in the plant raws. "Mill Plants(food)" for plants with COOKABLE_WHEN_MILLED and "Mill Plants(dye)" for those with a MILL_DYE, for instance, and possibly "Mill Plants(extract)" for plants that have neither(could be introduced as purely a trade good, or something used in reactions somewhere other than the dyer's shop). Or maybe just food vs goods. Currently, the only extract-to-barrel plant(sweet pod) has a cookable extract, but it'd be nice to see the same division there.

Including the smelter's sensitivity to available raw materials would help avoid superfluous options.

But even if extracting isn't touched, that division would be very nice to see for milling, if we're not going to be able to give specific orders. (And I do like the notion of telling my dwarves "anything that can be milled into dye, do it".)
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 05:19:19 pm »

I'd like to see more options like this in the kitchen screen.  In addition to "Brew" and "Cook", how about putting in "Mill", "Process", "Eat" and "Drink", so we can make sure our guys are subsisting on epic prepared meals instead of eating ingredients.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 06:56:55 pm »

Vermin should also show up in the kitchen screen. I want to cry every time a dwarf decides to munch a purring maggot instead of milking it, and fire snakes are for processing into liquid fire not snack time.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 07:02:25 pm »

While we're talking about the kitchen screen, it might be nice if we could set options for items we don't currently have. I hate having to remember to turn off cooking of booze every time I import a new kind, for example.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 08:23:22 pm »

For booze especially, conditional status might be a welcome thing. If I have 300 units of dwarven wine and 150 plump helmets and 400 plump helmet spawn, in my 50-dwarf fortress, I'm really not too fussed if they want to cook some, but I don't want to lose all my seeds or booze(the plants themselves are a tiny bit more forgiving in terms of their own numbers, but if I'm low on seeds I don't want the plants cooked, either).
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

GoldenH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 12:15:58 am »

It's also important for meat, as I don't cook meat so that I have more bones.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 12:26:04 am »

Meat doesn't give bones. Vermin fish do, though.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 12:30:29 am »

While we're talking about the kitchen screen, it might be nice if we could set options for items we don't currently have. I hate having to remember to turn off cooking of booze every time I import a new kind, for example.

The problem here is that you wind up with weird scenarios where your list is potentially full of stuff your entire dwarven civilization doesn't even know about. If it weren't for that, I'd say it's a good idea.
As far as cooking booze is concerned, though, it shouldn't be possible to begin with (except as seasoning, like in real life, although in those days it would probably be considered wasteful, maybe).

Regarding the OP, millstones and farmers' workshops should have jobs specific to plants, so that you can mill/process exactly what you want. Same as with other workshops, where you SHOULD be able to choose which, say, stone to use, but can't.

So basically, there shouldn't be any need for a cooking screen style list when it comes to processing, because you should be able to choose what to process.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 01:58:43 am »

As far as cooking booze is concerned, though, it shouldn't be possible to begin with (except as seasoning, like in real life, although in those days it would probably be considered wasteful, maybe).

I believe I remember hearing in one of the DF talks that cooking would be receiving an overhaul. Something about not ending up with one item meals or meals consisting entirely of alcohol. It's not in the future of the fortress thread, so take think of this what you well until you hear/see otherwise.
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."