Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Metorites during worldgen.  (Read 5838 times)

Vulkanis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Metorites during worldgen.
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2010, 04:20:38 pm »

Also the thought that demons would come from the "heavens" is rather...foolish if anything gods would shoot meteors at you filled with weapons telling you to kill all the demons you just released from hell by greedily mining out the metal of the gods, its would be a boon and a bane, the boon would be a large cache of masterwork weapons made of metal compareable to adamantium the bane would be that your probably going to have dwarves die from the impact of the thing...

First of all, who says that meteorites are sent by the gods.
Second, even if they are, who says they're your gods.

Please goto the "legends" section of any world you've generated and read "deitys"

First, I don't see a deities section in Legends mode.  But looking through historical figures shows plenty of non-dwarven gods.
Second, you missed my points entirely.  You're saying people are foolish for suggesting that the gods would send demons down in meteors, but you're the one who's saying that gods are actually sending meteors down.  And my second point was that even if gods are sending the meteors down, it's not necessarily your gods who are sending them down.

Well considering Armok is the "god" of the dwarves and he created them greedily, why would he not assist them, I am aware there are more then dwarven gods, we can assume the gods are in the polar opposite location of the center of the planet where they locked away all the demons. I guess all gods locked them away so why wouldn't the gods help lock them up again, it doesn't nesscuarly have to be from Armok. There isn't a diety section I meant to just look for dietys. I wouldn't imagine there would be demons where there is supposedly "gods" so how could they send a meteor down full of them when they have none up there in the first place.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2010, 04:27:42 pm »

The chance of an iron meteorite, or even any meteorite hitting the world in a period of 1000-10,000 years seems pretty small though, if you're going for realism.

500 per year, but not all are big enough to leave craters.

Earth is about 4,5 billion years old. The DF world is, usually, 1050 years old.
Thus we might as well make them fall every week and we'd still have some spare.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at; I *think* what you're saying is that Earth is 4.5 billion years old and we only get 500 per year, whereas the DF world, being younger, would be subject to more frequent bombardment, although at 500 per year, Earth averages a little less than 10 per week, so unless you mean having them fall every week per site, one per week would be less for a DF world ;)

What I'm talking about is that the DF world somehow managed to get you billions of years compressed into a nice time frame of, as I said, usually 1050 years. And meteorites can't really fall when time itself is frozen, so before you know it you have a planet in the middle of a sea of asteroids, and that's the state of things at year 1. However gravity has found herself to be lazy in this game, and hell, you can float on ice if you really want to - would such stuff happen when willpower of a mere hauler can bend it?

So I was close.  But then again, dwarven *history* spans 1000 years.  But if you look at world generation, the actual world, erosion, flora and fauna generation, etc, occur before year 1 starts.  So in that way, it's more like, what, 10,000 years of human history compared to 1000 of DF history?

Considering that the game's timeframe is the XIV century, and that dwarven history supposedly has a thousand years, they basically started out with technology of the Byzantines. Impressive for a bunch of alcoholic maniacs.

Also, I implied that time was frozen before year 1. When applied to the meta, it makes sense, at least for me.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2010, 04:33:31 pm »

Also the thought that demons would come from the "heavens" is rather...foolish if anything gods would shoot meteors at you filled with weapons telling you to kill all the demons you just released from hell by greedily mining out the metal of the gods, its would be a boon and a bane, the boon would be a large cache of masterwork weapons made of metal compareable to adamantium the bane would be that your probably going to have dwarves die from the impact of the thing...

First of all, who says that meteorites are sent by the gods.
Second, even if they are, who says they're your gods.

Please goto the "legends" section of any world you've generated and read "deitys"

First, I don't see a deities section in Legends mode.  But looking through historical figures shows plenty of non-dwarven gods.
Second, you missed my points entirely.  You're saying people are foolish for suggesting that the gods would send demons down in meteors, but you're the one who's saying that gods are actually sending meteors down.  And my second point was that even if gods are sending the meteors down, it's not necessarily your gods who are sending them down.

Well considering Armok is the "god" of the dwarves and he created them greedily, why would he not assist them, I am aware there are more then dwarven gods, we can assume the gods are in the polar opposite location of the center of the planet where they locked away all the demons. I guess all gods locked them away so why wouldn't the gods help lock them up again, it doesn't nesscuarly have to be from Armok. There isn't a diety section I meant to just look for dietys. I wouldn't imagine there would be demons where there is supposedly "gods" so how could they send a meteor down full of them when they have none up there in the first place.

Again, you're the one assuming gods are sending them down.  It's fine if you want to suggest that, but you shouldn't assume that everyone else is talking about meteors being sent by the gods and thus suggesting demons being in them is stupid.

And does anyone know if that stuff about the demons being locked away by the gods is even DF canon?  It always seemed to me to be whatever people felt like saying as an explanation for things.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2010, 05:01:37 pm »

I, honestly, don't think this sort of consideration to fluff is necessary.  If the player comes in contact with a rare metal then there should be a price for their greedy digging, that's a given.  Now, whether that price is hoards of dangerous creatures or something different(original), is the question.  Or nothing, I suppose is an option, if it's such a rare event.  Of course, if it WERE to be something, I could see it being an expensive statue that you can't sell.  and when there are the most dwarves or beings near the edge of the map (to coincide with goblin ambushes) it will awake and cause terror from inside your fort. or maybe when it has a blood covering or something.  just a thought.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Vulkanis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2010, 06:35:59 pm »

I, honestly, don't think this sort of consideration to fluff is necessary.  If the player comes in contact with a rare metal then there should be a price for their greedy digging, that's a given.  Now, whether that price is hoards of dangerous creatures or something different(original), is the question.  Or nothing, I suppose is an option, if it's such a rare event.  Of course, if it WERE to be something, I could see it being an expensive statue that you can't sell.  and when there are the most dwarves or beings near the edge of the map (to coincide with goblin ambushes) it will awake and cause terror from inside your fort. or maybe when it has a blood covering or something.  just a thought.

It could turn into a Colossi? That would explain where the things come from, thats brilliant!

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2010, 08:10:40 pm »

foolish is thinking that dwarven gods have anything to do with heaven. do you really picture dwarves as sun worshipers? or star gazers? heck, most dwarves are cave adapted, they vomit when out in the open. also, "heaven is for gods and heaven is in the sky, hell is for demons and hell is beneath the earth" demonstrates a very small, unimaginative and prejudiced mind, and you never heard of evil gods?
also, armok is not the god of dwarves, armok infact is not a god in any world you created. besides the name of the game, it doesn't appear anywhere in game, and it's fairly reasonable to assume that before it reaches the beta stage, df will lose the slaves to armok part of it's name, it isnt doing anything there.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]