Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Howto: Dead parent civ?  (Read 730 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Howto: Dead parent civ?
« on: September 20, 2011, 05:39:25 pm »

By what means, modding or not, can you have a dead parent civilization?  Kobolds die out because they lack farmers or fishers, but if you mod them out for dwarves you cannot reclaim them once the game has begun.  What manner of trickery would allow this to happen?  Or, what can be modded for worldgen, and then un-modded after worldgen and still work?

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Howto: Dead parent civ?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 05:48:08 pm »

I see dwarves die out fairly regularly on pocket worlds. Using a large number of starting civilizations, and a long history generation will probably help your chances. You can tell whether or not a civ is extinct by starting up adventure mode.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Rastaphanu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 05:52:47 pm »

What if you added the [CARNIVORE] tag? Since you'd be taking it out after worldgen it would work wouldn't it?
Quote from: DF Wiki
Eating is believed to cause noise within 1 or 2 tiles; probably 1. It is unknown whether the noise radiates from the eating dwarf or his food.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 05:54:51 pm »

That's a creature tag, not an entity tag, so that should be changeable after worldgen, yes.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 07:40:50 pm »

I used [BONECARN] and still got migrants and such, and not just the first two waves.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 08:06:06 pm »

Relevant thread:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=88926.0

Basically, the game currently resists all attempts to have your parent civ stop sending migrants and caravans, even if they should be all dead.

Instead of modding out farmers, disable the dwarven ability to use underground plants. Mass starvation ensues.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 08:21:18 pm »

Curious...  I think a popcap of 0 and removing the AUTUMN would be the best way to achieve what I want.  Alternatively, giving dwarves a tiny size should make them poor in battle and lose constantly, and then up the size during regular play and it should go well, yes?