Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How do you build your military?  (Read 2366 times)

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATEBILLION:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: How do you build your military?
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2011, 07:56:52 pm »

Maybe I should turn this into a military critique thread....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2011, 08:13:36 pm »

2-3 of the starting seven with promising stats are given some weapon/armor skills, and a profession to suit...  web-collector, wood cutter, mechanic, or mason; those are the guys I most often send out into harm's way.  Sometimes, if the dorf has a weapon/armor preference, I'll give them one point of weapon/armor smith and set them to unmoodable labor.  (Nothing cooler than a champion wielding a self-made artifact!)

Any migrants that have good stats get thrown weapons.

Training consists of telling them to whack troglodytes/trolls/monkeys that are disrupting work.  Recently, I conceived of a Cunning Plan to supplement such encounters.

Mostly I'm apathetic towards the military; I tend to go for lots of cage traps.  This leads to Defense #2: a planned gauntlet of giant tigers, giant lions, giant jaguars, the regular cats, and about seventy cave crocodiles.  Invasions are actually off right now as I'm working on a pseudo-megaproject fractal hall...  looking forward to finishing it and seeing what happens to the gobbos.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2011, 08:29:31 pm »

In my current fortress, I have a single full squad of axedwarves. The militia commander, Mafol Domasom, is the only one who's ever effective, though... because he gets there first and cleans up quick. He repelled two ambushes right after each other without taking a single hit. I don't mean they glanced off his armor, I mean he cut the goblins up so fast they didn't have time to try.
Pages: 1 2 [3]