Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Decent Netbook/Notebook  (Read 489 times)

Rudefire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Decent Netbook/Notebook
« on: November 17, 2011, 05:27:32 pm »

Hello all,

I am having a bit of a problem, and I need help. I will be deploying to Afghanistan soon and will be needing to entertain myself when it gets boring. I was going to take my computer (a terrible HP Pavillion) with me until it died on me. Now I need a new computer. I need something small, light, and cheap. The big focus will be for playing both Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft. I will be playing other games such as ADOM and ASCII Sector. I need suggestions for a good netbook/notebook that is affordable that will run these games with little to no problems.

Thanks,
Rudefire

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Decent Netbook/Notebook
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 05:32:07 pm »

I managed to run DF at decent FPS on my eee with the new atom 550 dual core. And it,s just 350 € or so. I did limit myself to 2x2 embarks for the most part, and performance started to drop after 70 migrants. (I did manage to get a decdnt set of features by altering the siege thresholds, and reducing the pop reqs to reach new town categories)

I did try minecrafts through the humble bundle 3's demo, and I think it did work fairly decently

If you have the dough you could try to go for one of those lightweight laptops that have i7 processors, and nice graphics cards. But they tend to be expensive. As in, not for less than 1300€
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.