Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My soldiers keep hauling barrels after drinking!  (Read 758 times)

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My soldiers keep hauling barrels after drinking!
« on: December 19, 2011, 02:00:20 am »

i noticed sometimes when he finished 'drinking', a soldier go to demonstration/individual practice(as his current job) with a barrel 'hauling'  (he also holds an axe and a shield in two hands), and as soon as he arrive the barrack, he decide to 'stock item in stockpile', and return to the stockpile, put down the barrel, and return to the barrack and start demonstration/individual practice actually. I wonder if it is a bug, or i did something wrong? how to get him put down the barrel before going to the barrack?

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
Re: My soldiers keep hauling barrels after drinking!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 05:42:58 am »

It is a bug, reported as #300.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 02:18:48 pm »

Give them waterskins. Rarely you'll find a dwarf drinking from the barrel because his or her waterskin has gotten forbidden somehow (probably something to do with uniform changes, but I've never seen the exact moment it happens), but that can be remedied with a quick trip to the stocks screen to catch any other forbidden flask-type items.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 03:10:08 pm »

CMDR HAMMERLOTS: No drinking during military exercises, please.
URIST MCBOOZEHOUND: Aww. *goes back to stockpile*

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 10:13:09 pm »

Give them waterskins. Rarely you'll find a dwarf drinking from the barrel because his or her waterskin has gotten forbidden somehow (probably something to do with uniform changes, but I've never seen the exact moment it happens), but that can be remedied with a quick trip to the stocks screen to catch any other forbidden flask-type items.
Thank you. But what's the 'gotten forbidden' thing? It's about another bug?

Anyway I'll design a small stockpile in the barrack and allow soldiers carrying food and booze. But they will not get a happy thought as dining in a fine dining room then, how should I keep them satisfied in a long duty of training season?

blaize9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blaizecraft
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 01:06:16 am »

add a nice metal statue in the middle, also smooth and engrave the Walls + Floors.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 10:45:31 am »

Thank you. But what's the 'gotten forbidden' thing? It's about another bug?
What I think happens is that dwarves who change their upper body armour automatically drop the waterskin tucked into the armour, and at that point it gets treated by forbid orders as a death item.

Soldiers won't take food to the dining room, so if they're active constantly they won't ever get good thoughts from a dining room. Backpacks aren't as good as they should be because dwarves will refill them every time a meal is eaten, and if your dwarves do any wrestling the food will end up on the floor, which in a subterranean barracks will result in clouds of miasma. But backpacks do at least cut down on eating time, since like liquid in a waterskin the food consumed in one turn.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 01:15:33 pm »

This is why I use traps. The military is simply unmanagable for me.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 09:22:52 pm »

This? There are far more annoying aspects to the military than the odd bit of barrel-hauling. :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 10:01:36 pm »

Spontaneous dying amongst them.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 09:05:38 am »

All of it. The horrible interface. Trying to get them to do uniforms. Schedules. Setting up waterskins and backpacks. It's doable, but it's so much of a hassle that I much prefer traps.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 11:23:28 am »

I don't quite know, for some reason I actually like the unending complexity that everything in DF demands.