Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3759637 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2280 on: June 06, 2012, 07:01:22 pm »

New release! Likely I will not be able to try this out for a bit because of vital commitments. Its good to see all these bugs getting fixed though.

How much is going to happen before the next "big" release starts coming along?

Is the next major future release likely to take as long as "Release 1" or are we more likely to get a number of shorter term "major" releases (i.e. a few weeks to a month or so) where each time one or two of the goals is dealt with (like 3D veins)?

As far as I remember, each major feature of DF2012 took around a month to finish, suggesting this kind of release method might be possible.

No timelines. Toady has gone often stated "yeah, no idea how long this will take."
Quicker releases were the goal with the last release schedule.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #2281 on: June 06, 2012, 09:46:19 pm »

Dwarf Fortress started October 2002, this log was started around the same time as the "back to the dwarf game" thread.

SO, 10 year anniversary sometime?

<P>Hell, I think 10 months might be possible.  Who knows anymore...<P>You mean what's the game gonna be like inside the mountain fortress?  Or what's the dragon gonna be like?  I could make an inside movie.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 09:48:33 pm by Quatch »
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: June 07, 2012, 12:06:03 am »

sfkjhsiusmidfhdrhbembhebe

DAT DEVBLOG!
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: June 07, 2012, 12:20:04 am »

Well, this was to be expected with the reorganizing of the dev page.

No less cool.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: June 07, 2012, 12:45:29 am »

Finally! adventure mode is gonna become fun, eventually...  :P

Though hopefully Toady can keep up his recent impressive pace with new stuff and fixing old stuff.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: June 07, 2012, 01:35:22 am »

The devlog we've all been waiting for!   :D

I was particularly taken with this phrase...
Quote from: Log of Gold
I'm currently taking the preliminary step of detailing entity claims to sites based on purpose, location, time of day, and so on.
This is an ingenious way to look at the AI surrounding NPC scheduling, and I can see it has great potential for generalisation.  Hope Toady enjoys programming this as much as we anticipate it!
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: June 07, 2012, 02:36:17 am »

That wall of text sounds promising as hell!
Can't wait to get into a fist fight where people can go two hits without getting their skulls caved in.
Could you please give a little definition for 'entity claims to sites'
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Meansdarling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: June 07, 2012, 03:20:52 am »

I sure am getting excited about DF again after reading that devblog!
Man, a real, not-real, growing, changing world to have the dwarves and other races adventure in.
It's gonna be amazing. I'll have to learn DF all over again.

That was the best part last time.

Bulwersator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: June 07, 2012, 03:28:06 am »

I am so sad that 3D veins changed from "in next version" to "in the future"
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: June 07, 2012, 08:27:02 am »

Quote from: Toady
It's time to activate the world now.
I think I love him!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: June 07, 2012, 09:30:00 am »

Excellent. New development in progress!

Does this mean we're going to have worldgen progress in actual play?

So here's the rephrase of the question I asked earlier:

Might we get releases for every feature or two that comes out (as with minecarts and hauling) in this coming release? The idea being that instead of taking ten months or so to get the big release out with many features, we'd have the features (i.e. worldgen progression during fortress play, 3D veins) as they are done individually. The equivalent would be if we had gotten cities and the individual night creatures out as they were individually finished. Its not a question on whether the features will be finished faster, but rather whether the features will come out more individually.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: June 07, 2012, 10:56:32 am »

How does Toady manage to consistantly outdo himself on the main page like this?  ;)
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: June 07, 2012, 11:25:33 am »

Oh my yes, I've been waiting for this for some time. I recall in one of the DF Talks he said this (moving worldgen activities to play) would "test the very premise of the game."

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: June 07, 2012, 12:15:37 pm »

Might we get releases for every feature or two that comes out (as with minecarts and hauling) in this coming release? The idea being that instead of taking ten months or so to get the big release out with many features, we'd have the features (i.e. worldgen progression during fortress play, 3D veins) as they are done individually. The equivalent would be if we had gotten cities and the individual night creatures out as they were individually finished. Its not a question on whether the features will be finished faster, but rather whether the features will come out more individually.
The primary problem I see with this is the fact that he's very likely going to have to break the game on a fundamental level, and the first release he'd do would be his attempt to put it back together. It's not going to be as big of a break as turning everything to 3D was, but the game is going to be non-functional as something playable for a longer period than it will be functional -- at least so I believe. It's a lot of interconnected parts, and they all have to be capable of working before it can put out there.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: June 07, 2012, 02:51:32 pm »

The primary problem I see with this is the fact that he's very likely going to have to break the game on a fundamental level, and the first release he'd do would be his attempt to put it back together. It's not going to be as big of a break as turning everything to 3D was, but the game is going to be non-functional as something playable for a longer period than it will be functional -- at least so I believe. It's a lot of interconnected parts, and they all have to be capable of working before it can put out there.

From what's up there now, finishing the continuing of worldgen in gameplay might be a good point to release.

It looks like we might also be getting the opportunity to retire our forts soon too.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 748