Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3760598 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3885 on: October 12, 2012, 02:27:47 am »

Quote from: burn_heal link= =100851.msg3688755#msg3688755 date=1350022916
When scouts/armies are eventually introduced to Fort-mode, will we see the same villain-behaviour / groups-moving-around-the-world that is being worked on in this release? Will the world behave in (more or less) the same way it does in adventure mode?[/color]

Thanks for taking the time you do to answer questions here. Always looking forward to reading about current development :)
Thats is the goal. Adventure Mode and Fort Mode are not seperate games. They're suppose to be different means to interact with the same game, and more importantly with the same game world.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 02:30:57 am by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: October 12, 2012, 02:29:12 am »

Quote from: burn_heal link= =100851.msg3688755#msg3688755 date=1350022916
When scouts/armies are eventually introduced to Fort-mode, will we see the same villain-behaviour / groups-moving-around-the-world that is being worked on in this release? Will the world behave in (more or less) the same way it does in adventure mode?[/color]

Thanks for taking the time you do to answer questions here. Always looking forward to reading about current development :)
Thats is the goal. Adventure Mode and Fort Mode are not seperate games. They're suppose to be different means to interact with the same game, and more importantly with the same game world.

This is also why Toady is making such an effort to synchronize fortress mode and adventure mode systems over past years.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: October 12, 2012, 02:32:22 am »

Toady,

It has always seemed to me that Fortress mode is the more popular format in the game. With a lot of the focus of current development being on adventure mode, are you worried that more fort-oriented players will miss out on a lot of the new features?

It stands to reason that Fortmode would be more popular when it has historically had more features and time put into. It's no reason not to work on improving Adventure mode. With a better Adventure mode more Fortmode-only people may be encouraged to give it a shot and enjoy it.

burn_heal

• Bay Watcher
  • "G'day folks!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: October 12, 2012, 04:24:28 am »

With a better Adventure mode more Fortmode-only people may be encouraged to give it a shot and enjoy it.
This is certainly what I hope. I personally am excited about giving adventure mode a proper go after next release, it sounds like it will be really fleshed-out.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: October 12, 2012, 04:32:44 am »

Will we be able to adjust how many tiles it takes to get up to speed when sprinting? I think it would be interesting.

When at full speed can you change direction and keep the speed? Turning anything more than 90° without slowing seems strange. I know you've thought about this for the mounted controls.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: October 12, 2012, 04:34:45 am »

Hey guys, this is going to be the release with the non-lethal combat, right? Or am I mistaken?

If yes, has the great Toady made any mention of sheaths for weapons, at all? If drawing a deadly weapon ramps a fight up to lethal, I mean.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: October 12, 2012, 04:44:54 am »

Will we be able to adjust how many tiles it takes to get up to speed when sprinting? I think it would be interesting.

When at full speed can you change direction and keep the speed? Turning anything more than 90° without slowing seems strange. I know you've thought about this for the mounted controls.

Quote from: Toady One
When you are running full speed, you can still stop without carrying forward additional squares, but you need to move in roughly the same direction to maintain your full speed. So if you are going east, then northeast and southeast are also okay, but if you go north, you'll go back down to jogging speed until you build up again.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3892 on: October 12, 2012, 04:58:55 am »

Thank you Japa.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3893 on: October 12, 2012, 05:05:20 am »

The real meat of DF is in the integration with the world. Fortress mode and adventurer mode are tools to this integration. If you like only fortress mode, there are plenty of clones games inspired by Fortress mode already in development.  :)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: October 12, 2012, 05:41:09 am »

With the combat/movement speed split, will we be seeing mounts in the next release? If yes, both for fort and adventure modde or just for one of the two?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

BradUffner

• Bay Watcher
  • BradUffner has begun a mysterious construction.
    • View Profile
    • Gump Studio
« Reply #3895 on: October 12, 2012, 09:18:33 am »

Acceleration will probably be configurable per creature in the raws. Animals like cheetahs and turtles have vastly different acceleration rates, and rhinos have surprisingly high acceleration for their size from what I've heard.

Will acceleration and jump height be affected by equipment and other inventory?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 09:21:51 am by BradUffner »
Raw Explorer - Easily navigate and edit your raw files via GUI! - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103360.0
Tile Genie - Merge multiple tilesets - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77724.0

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: October 12, 2012, 09:26:53 am »

With the combat/movement speed split, will we be seeing mounts in the next release? If yes, both for fort and adventure modde or just for one of the two?

mounts for dwarves are not planned. invader mounts in fort mode were in, not sure if they've been taken out

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: October 12, 2012, 09:42:30 am »

Oh man this next update is looking better and better -here was me doubting that was even possible.
In regards to speed loss when changing direction, will it be more time efficient pulling a turning circle to make a full 180 or even to turn 90 degrees vs. losing sprint to change direction instantaneously?

Is the sprinting speed of a creature dependent on its innate speed or a separate variable?

Do different creatures have different turning circles? For example some losing speed at a mere 45 degree angle or others capable of maintaining speed in any direction.
If yes, is that also a separate variable or do faster creatures turn slower?

IIRC you mentioned that moving at a faster speed increases the force of your blows (like a non-placeholder charge). Is the reverse also true? Will running/jumping into a moving minecart head-on (or even obtusely) combine the force?

Uh... sorry for the pile of questions. This update excites me greatly.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Old Bones

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro skub
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: October 12, 2012, 10:02:08 am »

In adventure mode if you jump from somewhere onto a climbable surface, will you catch yourself?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: October 12, 2012, 01:19:47 pm »

Oh man this next update is looking better and better -here was me doubting that was even possible.
In regards to speed loss when changing direction, will it be more time efficient pulling a turning circle to make a full 180 or even to turn 90 degrees vs. losing sprint to change direction instantaneously?

Is the sprinting speed of a creature dependent on its innate speed or a separate variable?

Do different creatures have different turning circles? For example some losing speed at a mere 45 degree angle or others capable of maintaining speed in any direction.
If yes, is that also a separate variable or do faster creatures turn slower?

IIRC you mentioned that moving at a faster speed increases the force of your blows (like a non-placeholder charge). Is the reverse also true? Will running/jumping into a moving minecart head-on (or even obtusely) combine the force?

Uh... sorry for the pile of questions. This update excites me greatly.

As far as I know, creatures just stop (or slow down to normal speed), and turn. They don't have a turning circle like a vehicle or something, and their momentum won't carry them further (i.e. off cliffs or into walls) if they choose to stop.

mounts for dwarves are not planned. invader mounts in fort mode were in, not sure if they've been taken out

I think mounts are planned for adventure and dwarf mode. It was mentioned a while back with caravans travelling around the world.

Will Dwarf Fortress try to deliberately make navigable climbing paths up trees and through the tree-tops outside of forest retreats?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 748