Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3761367 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4995 on: January 15, 2013, 02:25:32 am »

For example, would it be possible for the player to become a king as an adventurer, start a war with a civilisation, retire, make a fort to build an army to aid it's civilisation in said war, AND have the adventurer Monarch migrate to your fort?

I support this demand/question.
It would be good to know.
For this upcoming release? Nothing been stated to that effect. But, its an implied goal, if not an explicit goal. ToadyOne has talked about having your Adventure character being able to gain affinity  & reputation with civilizations, and taking on mantels of responsibility or being rewarded with nobility. And from there, its not unreasonable, and probably prudent to have any succession mechanic to eventually included that Adventure being able to take part in it.

Beside that, ToadyOne has also spoken about being able to manage entire countries, or taking on any living historical person in the game and using them as a character, and that also heavily implies that you'd need the ability to preform their given duties.

Its been spoken of, but goodness knows when it'll happen.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4996 on: January 15, 2013, 03:13:52 am »

With story generation being one of the main aims I figure romance will be important. I know sex is a difficult topic but will some kind of abstracted lust be present? I ask because it has been an interesting source of motivation in many stories.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 03:41:59 am by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4997 on: January 15, 2013, 03:15:24 am »

Well, we already have night trolls who can only be assumed to be doing... things from the very worst pages of DeviantART.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4998 on: January 15, 2013, 05:20:55 am »

More generally, it would be awesome that in a few years, a third dwarf fortress game exists ; a sort of strategy game, where you would play entire civilization against other civilizations, and where you could manage the equipment of thousands of dwarfs/elves/humans/giant armored hamster. You could change taxes, choosing who you want to ennoble, or make general, making an army of giant bears and asking for 1000 riders with steel swords...and  You could access to this part of the game either by becoming a capital city as fortress, or by becoming a king as an adventurer !
Well, anyway I don't think it's for tomorrow, perhaps 2020 ?

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #4999 on: January 15, 2013, 05:22:59 am »

What about "Crusader Kings 2" mode?

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5000 on: January 15, 2013, 05:51:25 am »

Well, if you manage to recruit giant eagles (^^), deal with dragon(s) who are menacing your cities, set a kidnapping policy and launch reclaiming expeditions in deep cities who found hidden dangerous stuff in deep caverns in CK2, why not. But I think DF is rich enough not to relate to CK, or any other Paradox games (the contrary is not always true, though). It's more a LOTR stuff !

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5001 on: January 15, 2013, 08:55:46 am »

Technically, the kingdom mode is supposed to be the evolution of dwarf fortress mode, and there is a process for that to happen underway. DF2013 V2 or DF2014 may allow us to send armies around the map, or increase the interaction of the fortress to the point where we'll be able to cause stuff to happen in the outside world.

Completely unrelated, has anyone noticed that the only crimes that are dealt with now (as of 0.34.11) are murders (and possibly violation of mandates), and vandalism or disorderly conduct don't trigger any penalties whatsoever?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5002 on: January 15, 2013, 12:44:06 pm »

With story generation being one of the main aims I figure romance will be important. I know sex is a difficult topic but will some kind of abstracted lust be present? I ask because it has been an interesting source of motivation in many stories.

I'd also like to add demons and their bad influence and people being corrupted (Like a few Roman emperors, e.g. Caligula and Nero) by power. It's probably something you wouldn't add generally, but we all know that many people of old were prone to do bad things, I'd expect that a world like DF wouldn't be much different. It could be only rumors and people disappearing with a King or just historical mentionings, all ini-toggled, but it may add a lot to the atmosphere...
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5003 on: January 15, 2013, 01:32:40 pm »

There's already making of gristly trophies by invading armies. Not any rape or sexcrimes outside night trolls and that one story...
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5004 on: January 15, 2013, 04:26:39 pm »

Technically, the kingdom mode is supposed to be the evolution of dwarf fortress mode, and there is a process for that to happen underway. DF2013 V2 or DF2014 may allow us to send armies around the map, or increase the interaction of the fortress to the point where we'll be able to cause stuff to happen in the outside world.

Completely unrelated, has anyone noticed that the only crimes that are dealt with now (as of 0.34.11) are murders (and possibly violation of mandates), and vandalism or disorderly conduct don't trigger any penalties whatsoever?
Violation of mandates is definitely dealt with.  I didn't notice a mandate to make shields and failed to complete it, and a poor dwarf with absolutely nothing to do with said mandate (he was an engraver, but it's possible he might have had some minor crafting skills) was chained for a season as a result.  So that hasn't changed.  I haven't yet had any disorderly conduct in my current fort, which is the only 34.11 one that I've taken far enough to activate the justice system.  If no one else has an answer for this, I can coax some dwarves into doing some violence to see what happens...

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5005 on: January 16, 2013, 04:19:56 am »

There's already making of gristly trophies by invading armies. Not any rape or sexcrimes outside night trolls and that one story...
I wasn't thinking of rape when I asked the question but instead things like leaders being influenced by a beautiful villain. Also situations like the one in Beowulf.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5006 on: January 16, 2013, 05:45:26 am »

New devblog update in. It would be nice if we got reports on how things were going each day, including the bugs. Especially the bugs, because they can be incredible.

With these new improvements, will the goblins try to block of the entrances and exits to a player-run dwarf fortress?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5007 on: January 16, 2013, 07:45:36 am »

I would love daily updates! However, from personal experience I know programing is something completely absorbing, and sometimes the silence speak volumes of progress.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5008 on: January 16, 2013, 11:58:04 am »

New devblog update in. It would be nice if we got reports on how things were going each day, including the bugs. Especially the bugs, because they can be incredible.

With these new improvements, will the goblins try to block of the entrances and exits to a player-run dwarf fortress?
Fort Mode sieges havent been changed, but events like that have been stated as a goal.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5009 on: January 16, 2013, 01:23:57 pm »

When a leader is killed in an attack, will their successor instantly be in power? Or will there be no leader until after the attack has been repelled, if it is repelled?

Also, how does the town defend its self? Is it everyone for themselves? Or are there organized defenses?
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 748