Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Sharing animal graphics  (Read 14480 times)

kafine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • my art
Sharing animal graphics
« on: February 16, 2012, 02:37:51 pm »

Here are some animals I made for my own use, feel free to have at.

So far it's got ocean sunfish, horseshoe crabs, crabs, octopi, tortoises, lobsters, kakapo, kestrel, magpie, crow, raven, kea, barn owl, snowy owl, cockatiel, cassowary, grey squirrel, red squirrel

They are transparent PNG so you can stick them on your BG texture of choice. I'll be doing some more, I'll throw them up here too as and when. I hope this is the right place to share these

Not sure about the anthro versions :/
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 12:13:11 pm by kafine »

jeturcotte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sharing animal graphics
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 02:42:06 pm »

:-*

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 02:56:44 pm »

Well done, they look great.  (Although... did we have green lobsters?)

Just as something I would say to anyone making such graphics, though, looking distinct is often more important than being beautiful by itself.  The crazy poses of the kings and queens and jacks on playing cards or Egyptian hieroglyphs , for example, do not show a very attractive image, but they show very easily recognizable images - you can tell the king is holding a sword or an axe right away because it is being held away from the body so that you can clearly see the silhouette of the item.

Most of these are both distinct and attractive, but that second one (baby sunfish?) looks like a spiky ball, the baby horseshoe crab is too small to really make out. 

It's a minor gripe, as well, but the smaller lobsters are also a little hard to make out - if they were viewed so that you saw them from straight overhead, so that it's a body with a few legs and claws coming out, the image would be somewhat simpler, and easier to identify.  The color contrast on the body makes it a little hard to make the overall form hard to make out, and I didn't recognize it as a lobster until I read the text beneath.

EDIT: Oh, and it's just a little odd to see a "skeleton" creature whose form is defined by its exoskeleton... :P
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 02:58:59 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

kafine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • my art
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 03:21:42 pm »

(Although... did we have green lobsters?)

Heh, the green lobsters were a request from my boyfreind who wanted to be able to have land-walking lobsters so that we'd see them more often. So we've been using those ones as "marsh lobsters".

Oh, and it's just a little odd to see a "skeleton" creature whose form is defined by its exoskeleton... :P

I know :C I thought it might be cool to include in the game because a skeletal crab would essentially be an exoskeleton floating around empty space. You kind of have to *imagine* that effect though because there was not enough space to draw it XD

Thankyou for your comments, I think it is apparent that teeny sprites is not what I'm accustomed to artwise. I might go back to the babies in the future next time I work on the file.

kafine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • my art
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 03:22:49 pm »

I intend to add a skeletal octopus too just for laughs

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 03:24:32 pm »

Zombie Lobster?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 03:39:52 pm »

Thankyou for your comments, I think it is apparent that teeny sprites is not what I'm accustomed to artwise. I might go back to the babies in the future next time I work on the file.

Yeah, when I started making graphics, learning to avoid adding details that made the graphic too busy when you zoomed out was the hardest part for me. 

Thinking how an Egyptian Hieroglyph of the creature would look is what I try to do when I make them - you have to show the limbs and the overall shape of the body more than you have to make it look naturalistic, since you just can't really make it look natural at this resolution.  Shading is fine, but things like having a limb that goes "in front of" the torso tends to make the image confusing, as you just don't have enough pixels to effectively convey a black-line outline.

I intend to add a skeletal octopus too just for laughs

Actually, thinking about it, Considering as zombies and skeletons are now just differentiated by how much of their flesh has rotted, I think the octopus will literally just rot to nothing and be unskeletonable (if that's even a word).

Of course, only in Dwarf Fortress will you be seriously assailed by a zombie 5-pound cephalopod.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 03:48:21 pm »

Beats the crap out of my tortoise.

jeturcotte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 04:21:41 pm »

Actually, thinking about it, Considering as zombies and skeletons are now just differentiated by how much of their flesh has rotted, I think the octopus will literally just rot to nothing and be unskeletonable (if that's even a word).

Well sure, hence 'just for laughs.'  It would just be a floating (for flopping about) central bone-like thing found in the head...

I wonder how would would draw the octopusman or giant octopus

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 10:47:09 am »

Those are beautiful!
I'm particularly in love with the horseshoe crabs.

I have yet to catch up with all the new critters for my own graphics set. :(

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 11:06:07 am »

By the by, if you guys (meaning Ironhand and Phoebus) can use them, I can do some critter graphics, as well.  I just need to know which ones you still need.

I embarked in a place recently with eaglemen that were obviously yet to be "graphified".
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 11:38:52 am »

The only ones I'm missing are... whatever got added in the newest version.
I don't know what all that is, though.

I'll eventually get around to spriting as well,
but I really don't have the time right now.

So I'd love to borrow your sprites, if you're offering!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 12:38:20 pm »

So I looked at the new animals, and I made a barn owl.

I tried to draw one in flight according to one of those pictures to give a better sense of "it's a bird" from a glance, but I think it might look a little too complex to really make out, so I drew a more boring "it's just sitting there" version.  Then there's a chick.

Tell me which one you guys think looks better, and I'll make the zombie version of that one.

I apparently also need to make a giant barn owl (not sure how to convey size other than making the sprite itself smaller, though, and it might get too small to really see...) and a barn owl man... and a snowy owl and a snowy owl man and a giant snowy owl and a loon and a giant loon and a loony man...
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 02:02:50 pm »

I made snowy variants.

Tell me which one I should focus on, though... I'm kind of torn, myself.  I'm starting to like the "in flight" more the more that I look at it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 04:01:09 pm »

Still struggling to find a way to make a loonman that doesn't look like crap...

I guess I need the viewing angle to be in profile, so that I can convey the "it has human arms AND wings" notion effectively.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6