Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28

Author Topic: The Spellbook - Community Interaction Repository  (Read 139448 times)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: The Spellbook - Community Interaction Repository
« Reply #345 on: May 18, 2012, 09:18:01 pm »

Acid Spit
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Shoots a solid glob of acid for damage, and somehow instantly spawns a pool of acid under the target (target is not affected rightaway, and can walk off safely. That is if the acid fumes don't burn their lungs, acid sometimes sits for a bit allowing for someone to step in it quickly causing acid burns if not shoed and then instantly turning into fumes like a landmine to burn the lungs if they do have shoes. Great for parties)

Now I want to make a special interaction that has a main shot at one target, then shoots another material at multible targets. All at once.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 19, 2012, 02:14:01 am »

Magma breath, courtesy of Hugo.

Very short range attack, magma solidifies quickly but it does quite decent damage in melee. Unless you are made of magma safe materials, do NOT use this !

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 19, 2012, 03:48:19 am »

Some good ol' magic buffs to make things more fun & interesting:
There are still limitations but it can still give interesting results like:
Dorf/Elf size creature throwing a Troll like a potato sack

Extra Note: I guess a Healing/Regeneration spell is possible without turning to a different creature with:
[CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE:RECUPERATION:20000:0:START:0:END:50]
Making the values higher will just make you heal faster but won't really stop the burning blood soaked pain immediately (maybe add some numbing syndrome too)...
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 19, 2012, 05:41:37 am »

Potato sacks don't skip across liquids.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 19, 2012, 06:44:19 am »

Potato sacks don't skip across liquids.

They would if you threw them as hard as that troll was thrown.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #350 on: May 20, 2012, 01:29:32 pm »

Looks like fun.  I've got a few:

A giant spell, to double the size of the user.  It was originally used as a syndrome for a rare plant, so timespan/targets may need adjustment to make it fair.

A psychic 'torture' attack.  It's meant to have a short cooldown period, so that the user can apply it continuously and 'drain' the target's life over time as well as incapacitating them.

Doom spell.  It has no effect up until exactly one year after its use, when 9 out of 10 targets will suddenly suffocate and die (the rest will probably go insane after seeing all of their friends drop dead at once).  Give it to a monster that could spread it quickly throughout a fortress, and you can be sure to have plenty of Fun when the clock runs out.

A 'baleful polymorph' secret, granting the user the power to turn enemies into mushrooms (which die easily but have a short transformation time), eggs (which resist unarmed attacks but are easily destroyed by weapons, can move a little bit but are blind) and stone blocks (instant kill and nets you a free block, but long cooldown period).

A totally overpowered spell.  Can give an unarmed dorf the power to cut through a herd of elephants like a magma-heated adamantine knife through butter.  It was designed as a 'vermin bite' syndrome from an extremely rare vermin.  Could still be fun to play with in the arena though.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 20, 2012, 01:41:18 pm »

That first interaction will make you 8x as big, not 2. Make all 3 numbers the cubed root of 2 times 100. The second interaction isn't over time, it's 1/5 of a second at 100 fps :p
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 01:44:11 pm by Putnam »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #352 on: May 20, 2012, 01:57:22 pm »

That first interaction will make you 8x as big, not 2. Make all 3 numbers the cubed root of 2 times 100. The second interaction isn't over time, it's 1/5 of a second at 100 fps :p

The Giant spell is 8 times the volume, but double-sized in each dimension.  Yes, it's supposed to be that way.  A 140-kg human is big, but not a giant.  A 3 and a half meter tall human could be called a giant.

And as for the second interaction, I meant that it is supposed to have a short cooldown period, so it can be used constantly to drain the target as long as the user continues to apply it.

Should have been a bit clearer about those... :)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 23, 2012, 11:13:04 pm »

I have reworked my secret interactions, and those that come upon the magics will build towers in worldgen now! Very lovely to enter an elemental mages' tower and become a ‼mage‼ for the remainder of your short, sad life.

I intend to continue adding to it. Shamans/witchdoctors are still on the to-do list, as are more advanced forms of each magic set. You gotta colelct them all! :P

Unfortunately it has become too large to fit in the size limit of a post, so I've uplaoded it to the DFFD.

Here's that file if you're interested; http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6378 It's also what I would prefer were listed in the OP, if that were still being updated.

Here's what the creature castes look like; the ones that are added to the five main races in Vanilla DF;
Example used is of dwarves. They don't all have the same caste ratios and kobolds can't have priests or elemental mages. (because they're not that bright, for all the cuteness in the world.)

Question: If I made a thread for it, would anybody be interested in using it or keeping me on track with updates? Is it good enough for a thread of it's own? I'm terrible about forgetting about things halfway through. No self-motivation.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 11:14:58 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Alamander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 24, 2012, 05:33:34 am »

I have a newb question that has likely been asked many times, regarding these spells, (here it comes:) buuuuuut.... how do I use them? These bits of code, where should I put them, which folders? And are they accessed by reading slabs etc... such as the secrets of life and death? Or are they simply something you add to every instance of a type of creature? (For example, I'd love to be able to shoot fireballs from my fingers, but I don't want every other human to be able to do the same, or every other human be invulnerable to fire.)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 24, 2012, 07:18:14 am »

It depends on whose secrets you intend to use. There's a lot of variability in how people have been displaying/providing them in this thread, because it's mostly been a discussion about how interactions work and all the cool things you can do with them, rather than actual mods to download. But if you can show me what you wanted to use, I would gladly help you get it working in the manner you desire.

Mine that I posted there can be learned from slabs/books as secrets or you can be born with them if you chose the associated caste (the castes are rare enough that you won't find them everywhere), and all you need to do to install it is extract the .txt files to the DF/raw/objects folder. In that respect it's about like installing any fully-prepared mod, mostly because I can't just post the entire thing on the forums now that it's become so big.
On that note, I really need to reupload it, because theres some outstanding issues with it currently.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 26, 2012, 04:24:36 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you use TRAILING_DUST_FLOW as a sort of "Fus-Ro-Da" type attack?
Code: [Select]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:TRAILING_DUST_FLOW]
  [CDI:ADV_NAME:FUS-RO-DA]
  [CDI:USAGE_HINT:ATTACK]
  [CDI:BP_REQUIRED:BY_CATEGORY:MOUTH]
  [CDI:TARGET:C:LINE_OF_SIGHT]
  [CDI:TARGET_RANGE:C:15]
  [CDI:MAX_TARGET_NUMBER:C:1]
  [CDI:WAIT_PERIOD:50]
Also, would I need to define a material for this to work properly?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 26, 2012, 04:31:37 pm »

is there a INTERACTION with the ID "TRAILING_DUST_FLOW"? you might want:

[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:MATERIAL_EMISSION]

and drop a

[CDI:MATERIAL:WATER:TRAILING_DUST_FLOW] altho... would this make dustings of ICE?

also UNKNOWN_SUBSTANCE could replace WATER and so could all these

INORGANIC:<inoganic id>  Placeholder for rock, used in arena mode. When given a subtype, selects a user-defined inorganic material. 
1  AMBER  Amber 
2  CORAL  Coral 
3  GLASS_GREEN  Green glass 
4  GLASS_CLEAR  Clear glass 
5  GLASS_CRYSTAL  Crystal glass 
6  WATER  Water, when placed in buckets or when mining out ice. 
7  COAL  Coal - subtype is either COKE or CHARCOAL. 
8  POTASH  Potash 
9  ASH  Ash 
10  PEARLASH  Pearlash 
11  LYE  Lye 
12  MUD  Mud 
13  VOMIT  Vomit 
14  SALT  Salt 
15  FILTH_B  Filth (brown, solid) 
16  FILTH_Y  Filth (yellow, liquid) 
17  UNKNOWN_SUBSTANCE  Unknown substance (white, liquid) 
18  GRIME  Grime 

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 26, 2012, 04:52:00 pm »

I see now. But do I need a material? I thought that that flows did not need a material.

This work?
[CDI:ADV_NAME:FRD]
[CDI:FLOW:TRAILING_DUST_FLOW]
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 04:56:11 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 26, 2012, 05:11:26 pm »

I see now. But do I need a material? I thought that that flows did not need a material.

This work?
[CDI:ADV_NAME:FRD]
[CDI:FLOW:TRAILING_DUST_FLOW]
No No
FLOW is preset material emmissions:
FIREBALL
FIREJET
DRAGONFIRE

you want [CDI:MATERIAL:<material or INORGANC, if INORGANIC which one>:TRAILING_DUST_FLOW]
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28