Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 63

Author Topic: Bastard Paranormal 2 - Game Over!  (Read 187862 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bastard Paranormal 2 - Third Run Phase
« Reply #540 on: March 14, 2012, 01:03:36 pm »

I would like to make the following proposal - If we have a night without a night kill, we agree to do an insta-shorten no-lynch.

If the scum DO let us do it, by, say, choosing not to kill, we're one step closer to the ship, we learn a bit more. If they don't, no big loss, we just continue as per normal.

Of course, if them getting to the ship is enough to make us lose, I have one incredibly good question:

Why would they ever night kill at all? All it accomplishes is decreasing the chance they would get to the ship by leaving less valid lynch targets. If their wincon is "survive until this day and you win by sabbing the ship", the night kills seem counterproductive. As such, I believe that simply getting to the ship with us isn't enough - they NEED to kill us too.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 14, 2012, 01:16:20 pm »

I'm not sold on said proposal, but I'll consider it.

On the nightkill:  How could they kill us all anyway?  Given the nature of the game, they're assuredly greatly outnumbered.

Perhaps if we get on the ship and take off, it devolves into a standard game with roleflips and night phases and everything if there are still scum around.  Maybe that's when the dopp serum wears off and they get hungry.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 14, 2012, 01:22:51 pm »

If we lynch every day and they kill everynight (and we don't know how many of them there are), it might be enough to simply outnumber us when they get to the ship to win. Or they might have extra kills or abilities we don't know about. There's a lot that could be going on on that front - we know nothing about the scum team composition.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 14, 2012, 01:28:10 pm »

I would like to make the following proposal - If we have a night without a night kill, we agree to do an insta-shorten no-lynch.
I disagree, for two reasons: a) Meph did confirm that resting for at least a bit was necessary so we're not overly tired. We shouldn't shorten until at least, say, 24 hours of rest phase have elapsed; and b) if we lose two people in the run due to a nolynch, it'd be similar to losing one in a lynch and one at night, except we don't get to choose who is lynched, the scum do, and it may be more than two ("a bunch"). I still think nolynching is a bad idea, but if people really want to do it, at least let 24 hours of rest pass, or you'd be shooting yourselves in the foot:
Meph, if we take too short of a rest break, will the fatigue from continued running affect our escape chances? That seems likely, as you are stopping to rest for a reason.
The fact that you know both things above to be true (or at least, mentioned by Meph) makes me suspicious of your intentions, GG.

Of course, if them getting to the ship is enough to make us lose, I have one incredibly good question: Why would they ever night kill at all?
They may not have a choice in the matter. Those chasing us are flavourful captors, those with us are scum players. Perhaps the collaborators have only target selection (someone has been targeting the pilots), but may not have a choice on whether attrition happens, as it's "the station" and "the captors" that are doing the kills. If we make it through this run unscathed I think it'd be more likely because we shortened and outran the flavourful captors than due to leniency from the collaborators.

As such, I believe that simply getting to the ship with us isn't enough - they NEED to kill us too.
I think that doesn't make sense: with one kill a night, there aren't enough kills to get everyone before the ship is reached. Therefore, they expect at least one escapee to reach the ship, their winning is subject to preventing the escape even then (by sabotage, or lack of pilot, or eating them, or something). PPE: but yeah, multiple kills a night are possible, especially if we, ahem, nolynch, but it's true we don't know how many they are.

PPE: I like Toaster's idea of a post-game game on the ship with standard scum.
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 14, 2012, 01:51:08 pm »

Bookthras, I've made it quite clear I wouldn't want to nolynch more than once. I'd hope that would avoid any problems with fatigue. But honestly, I don't know. It's a gamble, one I'm fine not making if there's no support, but not one I personally think is a bad idea.  I definitely don't think we'd want to consider doing it twice in a row, for exactly the reason you stated.

And I didn't say they ONLY needed to kill us, but they DID need to kill us. The the reason they need to so is because they are "forced" to, that's fine. I don't know how likely it is - if the station could kill people like that, why isn't it doing it more often? But the point is that for one reason or another (forced to by mechanics, need less of us at the end to successfully prevent escape, need to increase chances of winning potential overtime) they want to kill us. And if they could win simply by getting to the ship (barring being forced to kill by mechanics), they wouldn't want to kill us because it would only make winning more difficult for them.

I'm not saying some sort of sabotage-like mechanic isn't possible, but that at the very least making it to the ship with us is not a guaranteed win for them (unless, as you said, their kill is forced. Which, I should stress, I doubt)

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 14, 2012, 02:21:50 pm »

Bookthras, I've made it quite clear I wouldn't want to nolynch more than once. I'd hope that would avoid any problems with fatigue.
What avoids problems with fatigue is resting, which is exactly what you advocated we don't do. You are missing the all-important "insta-shorten" of your scummy proposal. The "no more than once" has absolutely no bearing on how tired we are before running again, as we can do it only once per rest phase, yes?

But honestly, I don't know. It's a gamble, one I'm fine not making if there's no support, but not one I personally think is a bad idea. I definitely don't think we'd want to consider doing it twice in a row, for exactly the reason you stated.
Your backtracking when your intentions are suspected is scummy as well. Please explain to us how not doing it twice would prevent either loss through fatigue or the "bunch" thing on the first one. You smell of Pétain to me, you filthy collaborator (and now I remember I was vaguely suspicious of Think way earlier in the game too, but he was too lurky to press).

I'm not saying some sort of sabotage-like mechanic isn't possible, but that at the very least making it to the ship with us is not a guaranteed win for them
So, you think we should be reasonably OK with the notion of a collaborator making it to the ship?
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 14, 2012, 02:40:02 pm »

o ____ o

Right. Ok.

The only info we've got on resting and fatigue and whatnot is flavourful. Reasonably, fatigue is cumulative. Skipping one rest period will exhaust you less than skipping two in a row. Is this really all that complicated? But still, we can always ask.
Meph: Would insta-shortening one day be any safer than insta-shortening several?
How long could go before running again, a single time, without reasonable increasing our chances of losing people?

I don't think no-lynching is a good idea as is - I very much doubt the scum will skip killing us until they are eliminated. But I'm somewhat worried that IF we eliminate the scum, with no roleflips we'll go on lynching people without needing to and screw ourselves over some other way. After all, our wincons are not "lynch the scum". We are all, you excepted, survivors - the more of us that make it to the end, the more of us that can win. I like people winning.

Your backtracking when your intentions are suspected is scummy as well. Please explain to us how not doing it twice would prevent either loss through fatigue or the "bunch" thing on the first one. You smell of Pétain to me, you filthy collaborator (and now I remember I was vaguely suspicious of Think way earlier in the game too, but he was too lurky to press).
It was only ever a proposal. A proposal based on a condition I honestly don't think will happen. If it DOES, I'll argue the case. If it doesn't, I'm certainly not going to push for it. If it does, and we end up not no-lynching, it's not a big deal.

So, you think we should be reasonably OK with the notion of a collaborator making it to the ship?
Ok? No. I certainly don't. I don't think it will be enough to make us lose, but I'm not stupid enough to think it will be good for us.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 14, 2012, 02:58:10 pm »

Meph: Would insta-shortening one day be any safer than insta-shortening several?
How long could go before running again, a single time, without reasonable increasing our chances of losing people?

The longer you rest the faster you can run afterwards, but also gives your pursuers a chance to catch up. Collapsing from exhaustion will almost certainly result in capture. The standard Rest length of 3 RL days is the middle-ground that you assume will get you decently rested while not dawdling too long in one place.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 14, 2012, 03:09:13 pm »

Meph: How far away are we from the ship now?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 14, 2012, 03:10:10 pm »

About halfway, you think.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: March 14, 2012, 05:26:46 pm »

About halfway, you think.

Hmm.  Given that we extended on the first two rest phases, I would think that if there is a connection between resting longer = running faster, we might be closer than halfway.  Unless the two essentially cancel each other out. 

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 14, 2012, 05:40:20 pm »

Meph: Halfway to the ship or to the hangar?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 14, 2012, 07:18:32 pm »

Sorry for my absence, I went away without notice for a couple days. I'll try to give better warning next time.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 14, 2012, 07:36:26 pm »

Meph: Halfway to the ship or to the hangar?

That's effectively the same thing, as far as you know.
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 15, 2012, 11:49:17 am »

Whether it was Toonyman’s efforts or your head start something seems to have worked, as you manage to stay a step ahead of your pursuers. Eventually, though, you can’t run anymore and decide to rest. You find yourselves in some sort of arboretum, filled with strange alien plants.

Rest phase has started. It will go until ~5pm Pacific Monday
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 63