Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 30

Author Topic: [Succ. 34.11+] Watchedgleam (necro-, demon- and vampire-con; free elf-delivery!)  (Read 80721 times)

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Succession 34.02+] Watchedgleam (part evil, savage, tower, elven war)
« Reply #225 on: April 09, 2012, 10:59:01 am »

Hm...Guess I'll be finishing up after all...
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 11, 2012, 09:18:48 am »

(Sorry about the lack of pictures. I'll edit them in in a bit. I'm just finishing up winter right now in game. Btw, does anyone know how to generate huge amounts of power? We'll need that to power the magma pump stack I made. I won't be finishing it this year, but I've stockpiled a bunch of iron corkscrews and pipe sections for my successors, and dug out the actual "structure" of the pipeline)

15th Sandstone, 254:

Much has happened since my last entry in this book; I have had little time to devote to my personal projects, and even less to devote to these memoirs. A troop of perhaps a dozen elves mounted on giraffes attempted to infiltrate our fortress. Fortunately, they were detected well before they reached the walls by the peasants cleaning up Watchedgleam’s exterior. Unfortunately, not a single one of them was harmed, and as such, I have no excuse to start cutting them up. I still must determine what organs a dwarf can and cannot live without. Lungs, heart, and brain known to be absolutely essential, but some reports indicate that the dwarven liver is, surprising, not a necessary or even important organ. The implications of that are fascinating.

The battle against the elves was brief, even given the sad state of our military. The “Overseer” was encouraged by her advisors to shut the gates, and did so, ordering the militia to mass in the trade depot. We then let the elves in, and being the witless fools they are, our guests didn’t even hesitate to consider the possibility of a trap (or several, as it happened to be). All of the invaders not slain by the traps in the entrance hall were shot or cut down by the soldiers, who managed to avoid the worst of their arrow fire due to the cover afforded to them by the depot’s walls. Work continues on the shaft to the magma sea, and I’ve been told that the bulk order of iron corkscrews and pipes have been completed, as well as the stone blocks and mechanisms. We’ll need to be careful which of the latter two products we use however; it seems our masons and mechanics are too dull to realize that the mechanisms must be able to withstand magma, and as such should only be built out of the sturdier stones.

Back towards the beginning of the month, I had the pleasure of having a mother of one of the fortress’ wretched children in my office babbling about how she feared her son gone made; the boy had begun acting strangely she said, mumbling about something called “Rasuk Rethal.” Having seen many cases like this before, I rushed to lock up all the craftsdwarves’ workshops in the fortress, but to no avail; the child had already found his way into the one on the upper level. Given the particulars of the boy’s condition, and his general lack of professional skills, it seems likely that he will produce a scepter, crown, or some other ornamental, yet useless piece of jewelry that we can’t even sell for fear of the child going on a murderous rampage-though if it were my decision, we’d do it anyway, and send the retch to Room 101, just to be sure. Of course, since the child dragged the skeletons of our most recent guests (a small host of goblins) into the workshop with him, it’s certainly possible we might be gifted with a moderately useful bone weapon. Either way, the boy shall be sent to Room 101 afterwards; he’ll be no use to us anymore, and would be better as a lookout in the caverns than anything else.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shortly thereafter, we discovered that a weaver who’d been thrown in in the dungeons for violating some ridiculous law enacted by the “Overseer” had died of dehydration. As the cause of death is so obvious, and the patient is most certainly dead, I have opted not to tamper with the body for the time being. I’m starting to wonder whether putting Reg “in charge” was a good idea…

16th Sandstone: I’ve received reports of a string of bizarre events; hallucinations, odd sounds, ect in Watchedgleam. Reg believes that it is due to the presence of “restless spirits”; while such things may very well exist, given the very clear presence of the undead in our immediate vicinity, I am skeptical in this case. Even if we are hosting ghosts, I would very much like to see what they’ll do.

20th Sandstone

Excellent. It appears that the blasted child who took over a craftsdwarves’ workshop has produced something potential useful: a goblin bone buckler. However, seeing as he seems to be as clueless with bone carving as ever, I’ve had him sent to Room 101. On a side note, the magma pump line will need a great deal of power. I’m currently debating whether to focus on that, or leave that project till next year (I have decided that Reg will have to go come Winter, after that incident with the Weaver. I also have come to realize that I sent both of her useless daughters to Room 101: I must make sure she never discovers that while in power, or the Omega Contingency will need to be put into action early...)

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 09:33:19 am by Archereon »
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
It was inevitable.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 11, 2012, 11:15:49 am »

Alright then, I just finished.

We almost had a dangerous amount of !!FUN...

Two FBs showed up, one that was a flyer and had deadly dust, but for some reason it showed up in Hell and just wandered off the map. (or got pwned by demons, not sure which).

The other got mauled by our military.

Then we got swarmed by thieves and snatchers, then a bunch of ambushes came around, and one of our miners spent about half a month fleeing from them. I was trying to build a system to power the obscenely huge pump stack I dug out (but didn't build), but am wondering if it's even possible without a dwarven reactor.

We require about 800 Urists just for the pumps, and Armok knows how much for everyone else.

I'll post my final update today or tomorrow, and upload the save now.

Current deceased list is I have no fucking idea. I might have killed Gigmaster though, in an attempt to make an army of vampire supersoldiers.

Here's my save.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:34:04 am by Archereon »
It was inevitable.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 11, 2012, 01:28:24 pm »

may i have a dwarf that only knows how use a spear and a crossbow? and if so may he (please use a guy) be named Aseaheru [origional name here] [lastname] with the profession of a outpost guard? then if you decide to expand across the river there might be a grey tower with two people in it in iron hats, shields of the same and iron chainmail, oh and iron weapons please? if not than oh well.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Xieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 11, 2012, 05:19:29 pm »

Woo!  Grabbing the save.  I promise to do my best not to kill everyone.  Although in the process of working on the magma pumps I may inadvertently flood the world...  Ooo maybe a surface magma lake?  Hmmm what to do...

Edit: Apparently I have missed some history.  Time to readup on the past overseers exploits once again and try and figure out how I acquired the illustrious title of hellscout...

Edit 2: And having re-read our history, I know what I must do.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 07:00:51 pm by Xieg »

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 11, 2012, 05:29:24 pm »

Protip: Save your DF screencaps as .png files. Not only does it reduce the filesize by over 80% (allowing you to get away with uploading much larger resolutions), it also looks much, much nicer (at least for low color screenies like those of DF origin). And crop out the blank spaces (or cut and paste the interesting parts into a new file), it only takes a second.

Also, you have my full support for the idea of a magma moat, or somethin' similar.

Edit: Why is our legendary weaponsmith, creator of the artifact pickax in exile? o_o
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 06:59:45 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Xieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 11, 2012, 07:44:39 pm »

A number of items exhumed from the hidden tomb lay arranged before you, artifacts of a time long past.  Assorted trinkets and items expected of a dwarf of reasonable status are here, the years spent locked beneath the damp earth evident.  Amongst the odds and ends lay an ancient leather bound journal.  Interest peeked, you run your hand along the fading runes etched into the binding.  This is a firsthand record from a resident of Watchedgleam, a find like this is invaluable.  The excitement causes you to feel uneasy, a pit forming in the depths of your stomach.  Atleast, you believe it’s the excitement.  There is something about the book itself that makes you feel uneasy.

The old tome before you reeks of age and mildew, the damp of the vault having done its damndest to expunge these accounts from history.  The early accounts in the book are of Xieg, a dwarven chef of fine cuisine seeking refuge from the wars that racked the surface world.  Her flight from her original mountainhome, her arrival, and the first few years are normal for any who find themselves settling new frontiers for the glory of the dwarven race.  And then things take a turn for the odd.

4th of Opal, 252

I have seen and heard the impossible, the depths of the abyss still speak to me even with so much earth between us.  The voices never stop.  Their scratching, gurgling, unnatural voices never stop.  And their gaze never leaves me.  Even the blind ones continue to stare.  So many of them exist beneath us, in the voids of the world, imprisoned within the very bones of the land.  Their bloated and twisted forms writhing in constant agony.  I will never go to the lower levels again, it is to close to the gaping wound we have opened in the world.

4th of Hematite, 253

I have been dreaming of the abyss again.  It is nearly constant these days.  Some mornings I find myself waking by the holes in the wall, nestled up against the warm pillar, listening to the gibbering from within.  I woke there this morning.  They try and claw their way to freedom, even though it has been six months since their discovery.  How long have they been at it?  Did they claw this wound from the inside in their vain attempt to reach the surface?  It is almost sad, thinking they have been imprisoned in the pitch black abyss beneath the world for eternity.

4th of Opal, 254

I’ve been taking breaks by the holes recently.  I’ve become accustomed to the sounds from the deep.  It’s soothing really.  I feel at home here.  It’s almost as if I can understand their voices these days. 

“Freedom”

“Help us” 

“Show us the light”

So long in the darkness, they’ve yearned for the surface.  But it’s not ready for them, not yet.

1st of Granite, 255

We’ve been talking, the denizens and I.  I can ease their pain and prepare the world above for them.  Their time is nigh, and I can make the remaining days more peaceful for them.  They just seek to share their gifts with us, and sharing those gifts gives them purpose.  And purpose gives them peace.  I’ll construct a temple.  So many unemployed dwarves wander the halls these days.  I can offer them work, constructing a temple worthy of their teachings.  The others I can employ on the surface, preparing to draw the lifeblood of the world from the depths.  Soon our plans will reach fruition.  I can feel the denizens’ excitement in the air.

___________________________________________________-
I blame Nemica for making me go nutters.  Ah well, such is the life of a dwarf.  Time to begin the projects!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 11, 2012, 08:25:38 pm »

...........so from the above post, you're gonna do something involving hell? This'll be either very awesome al la deathgate, or a very comedic end to the fort(I'm betting the latter)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 11, 2012, 08:53:40 pm »

MUHAHA!
Highly Opinionated Fool

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 11, 2012, 11:01:11 pm »

Can I see my kills?
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 11, 2012, 11:18:48 pm »

Protip: Save your DF screencaps as .png files. Not only does it reduce the filesize by over 80% (allowing you to get away with uploading much larger resolutions), it also looks much, much nicer (at least for low color screenies like those of DF origin). And crop out the blank spaces (or cut and paste the interesting parts into a new file), it only takes a second.

Also, you have my full support for the idea of a magma moat, or somethin' similar.

Edit: Why is our legendary weaponsmith, creator of the artifact pickax in exile? o_o

Oops. I let some people in at some point to put beds there so the migrants didn't freak out and cause !!bad thoughts!!

Must have locked him in with the rest and not noticed I left him there.

Xieg: Oh Armok. Please don't intentionally sabotage the fort. It's usually funnier IMHO when things go to hell on their own.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:20:37 pm by Archereon »
It was inevitable.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 11, 2012, 11:43:07 pm »

Excerpt from the Mosus “Archereon” Dumatsirab, date unknown, but most likely near the end up Reg Udoszas's rein as figurehead Overseer of the Fortress

I do believe it is time for our current Overseer and mayor to abdicate her position. Yet another dwarf has perished in prison from thirst because he failed to make the twenty something doors she issued a mandate for. If I had realized this would be a regular occurrence, I would have encouraged the construction of a second well; for some reason it always seems to the useful ones who end up dying in such pointless ways. I have been discussing potential candidates for the next “Overseer” with Slowpokez.

He suggested Xieg, a lowly cook who arrived some time ago, and managed to make a fair number of connections in our community. I question his judgment in backing her; she is clearly quite unstable, and will likely not be as easy to keep in line as her predecessor. Furthermore, with such an individual in power, our work could be set back months if not years due to incompetence, if she doesn’t outright destroy the fortress!

With the looming disaster in mind, I have contacted T.A.D, an old acquaintance of mine…But I must stop this entry right here. What I am thinking of now is not to be put into writing...

(well, that's that. Here's some unsorted pics of what happened during my rein after my last update.)

It was inevitable.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 12, 2012, 09:16:01 am »

wow, apparently my posts don't exist... :-\
Highly Opinionated Fool

Gloopy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 12, 2012, 11:34:27 am »

Funnily enough Spishaban is the only one with experience in both spears and crossbows. :P
You can't equip a spear and a bow at the same time, but I'm sure Xieg will think of something

Archer dude, you left your tileset installed so now the ascii graphics are all screwy. (and I don't think it's reversible either) I suppose we could get around it by just enabling the tileset in the init.txt, but I'm not sure how to do that without installing it ourselves.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:36:35 am by Gloopy »

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 12, 2012, 12:41:17 pm »

Use LNP.
It was inevitable.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 30