Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 780 781 [782] 783 784 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2225461 times)

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [34.11] Spearbreakers - Prepping for reboot, now testing mods.
« Reply #11715 on: January 05, 2016, 05:19:50 pm »

Er actually, I didn't make guns and co use a different skill. Will make the change soon then.

And concerning realism, why should guns get extra-high skillgain ? I'm not sure I understand.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11716 on: January 05, 2016, 05:21:25 pm »

Apparently because we cant train them with anything else.

I just say hang the expense, have the buggers train with them on the firing range. That or raining program workshops...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11717 on: January 05, 2016, 05:23:21 pm »

Not ultra-high, but if you give somebody a bolt-action rifle, a general idea of how to use it, a supply of ammunition, and several months, you'll have a fairly skilled rifleman at the end of it. Not legendary by any means, but accurate and fast-firing.  Logically, I'd like them to use the crossbow skill, but if they use another, it's possible to turn up skillgain without affecting other areas of the game much.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11718 on: January 05, 2016, 05:33:01 pm »

Personally, I also prefer rifles to use the crossbow skill. For me, it makes sense as crossbow are close to rifle in the way they are handled.

Oh, and on the subject of training simulator. I like the idea, but I'm a bit against them. I don't know, I feel like it would feel rather cheap. But if it's only to counteract the sparring bug, then there is no problem as this bug will be fixed in next version.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11719 on: January 05, 2016, 05:35:32 pm »

It does make a lot more sense. The only objection I'm aware of is to do with the fast skill gain, but on the other hand, crossbows have the same advantage. They're quicker and easier to learn than longbows.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11720 on: January 06, 2016, 12:52:58 am »

Oh, and on the subject of training simulator. I like the idea, but I'm a bit against them. I don't know, I feel like it would feel rather cheap. But if it's only to counteract the sparring bug, then there is no problem as this bug will be fixed in next version.

I remember Fallout: Equestria had a training simulator thing for your ponies to skill up military skills at. It had more then a few disadvantages: It trained skills comparatively slowly[Not sure how this was implemented, though], required decent infrastructure to build and didn't give Archer/Fighter xp like real training would. If a training simulator thing was implemented in Spearbreakmod, the above things or similar would probably help balance it out some.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11721 on: January 06, 2016, 02:05:05 am »

I remember Fallout: Equestria had a training simulator thing for your ponies to skill up military skills at. It had more then a few disadvantages: It trained skills comparatively slowly[Not sure how this was implemented, though], required decent infrastructure to build and didn't give Archer/Fighter xp like real training would. If a training simulator thing was implemented in Spearbreakmod, the above things or similar would probably help balance it out some.

You also needed to find simulator hologems to even make the things go (if memory serves, military ones are a bitch to get compared to ones that train civilian skills like gemcrafting - and understandably so.) My guess is that the xp earned through reactions for combat skills is fairly small or it was limited with single-product reactions keeping gains small and necessitating constant use to get a halfway decent soldier out of the system.

One could compare it to the Brotherhood of Steel really. Their simulations are all well and good, but all the training in the world isn't going to help against someone with decades (or even just months and some AP-loaded.308 rifles,) of live combat experience, not outside of a game like DF anyway.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11722 on: January 06, 2016, 08:14:49 pm »

Some little update concerning my fortress. Reached year 7, and months are rather uneventful.

I still haven't set up any advanced industry yet, because I forgot too. Even if I wanted too, I couldn't : I still haven't been able to get my hands on Cobalt-refining and Aluminum-refining datachips.
Which pisses me off a little because I'm trying to get them since year 0 since my embark is drowning in cobaltite and bauxite ! (I even found pitchblende and platinum !) I'm suspecting Parasol caravan of creating an embargo to prevent me from rising to a superpower. :(

I created stubguns and chainaxes/blades (all of copper). I'm still using Copper for everything, I was too lazy to smelt goblinite and traded steel. I can't survive without using my trap death-corridor. I tried once to directly confront the enemy for kickers, and my 40-dwarves militia got its ass handed on a gold plate.
I really need this Cobalt-refining datachip. :/

Oh, and I'm going to bring magma and water to the surface. I'm currently creating a long automated impulse-ramp powered mine-cart route that spans over 130 z-levels.

How is your test going Splint ? Is the current state of the mod satisfying you or are there some tweaking you would like to propose ?

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11723 on: January 06, 2016, 08:17:38 pm »

I assume different qualities of ranged weapon don't have any difference in effectiveness?
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11724 on: January 06, 2016, 08:20:29 pm »

I assume different qualities of ranged weapon don't have any difference in effectiveness?

It actually does ! I don't remember well, but I think rate of fire and accuracy is affected by quality, among other things.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11725 on: January 06, 2016, 08:23:16 pm »

Bashing people.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11726 on: January 06, 2016, 08:24:19 pm »

Bashing people.

And people-bashing, most importantly, of course. :)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11727 on: January 06, 2016, 08:30:22 pm »

It actually does ! I don't remember well, but I think rate of fire and accuracy is affected by quality, among other things.

While that's good to know, I appear to have typo'd. I meant to say materials, not qualities.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11728 on: January 06, 2016, 08:32:19 pm »

Well, if it's materials then Aseaheru answered perfectly :
Bashing people.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11729 on: January 06, 2016, 08:33:03 pm »

That is also bashing people, mostly due to weight.

Dang ninja
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 780 781 [782] 783 784 ... 815