Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Torture and Slavery  (Read 2865 times)

Urist_McUristson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Torture and Slavery
« on: March 28, 2012, 04:31:12 pm »

I just finished editing my RAWS so that slavery is acceptable and torture only if sanctioned. So how do I actually use torture and slavery in game with my dwarves?

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Torture and Slavery
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 04:33:01 pm »

That kind of Ethics stuff only matters for determing if civs go to war in worldgen.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 04:33:16 pm »

Dwarves don't employ slavery as a game mechanic other than as pets.

Torture has no direct method of application. You can simulate it by chaining a goblin under a waterfall though.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 04:35:27 pm »

This thread is much less entertaining than I had expected it to be.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 04:40:46 pm »

Consider the lack of menacing spikes in this thread an open request for new features.

I somehow doubt that fortress mode junkies would complain about the addition of torture devices and chambers.

Being able to drive captured goblins batshit crazy and to poke them with burny hot sticks on regular intervals and other forms of sadism would likely be heralded as a fantastic new gameplay mechanic.

I suspect the reason it hasn't been implemented is because the toady one has some small, atrophied sense of moral dignity clinging to what remains of a tattered soul.

(Similarly to how you can't butcher pets.)

Urist_McUristson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 04:44:07 pm »

Well there go my plans of throwing endless slave legions of goblins and elves against the HFS and laughing at the results. Guess I can still sort of do it.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 04:46:38 pm »

Well there go my plans of throwing endless slave legions of goblins and elves against the HFS and laughing at the results. Guess I can still sort of do it.
Cage traps can help you. But don't expect the prisioners to last very long against the HFS.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

rawrcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 05:13:21 pm »

Consider the lack of menacing spikes in this thread an open request for new features.

I somehow doubt that fortress mode junkies would complain about the addition of torture devices and chambers.

Being able to drive captured goblins batshit crazy and to poke them with burny hot sticks on regular intervals and other forms of sadism would likely be heralded as a fantastic new gameplay mechanic.

I suspect the reason it hasn't been implemented is because the toady one has some small, atrophied sense of moral dignity clinging to what remains of a tattered soul.

(Similarly to how you can't butcher pets.)
Nope. It'll come during feature creep I'm sure, but no need to bloat the game with unneccessary mechanics currently.

Although, truth be told, I'd love to greet those elven merchants properly.
Niding absolutely detests humans. || twitch.tv/onnings

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 05:22:31 pm »

Personally, I think the asian bamboo torture approach, modified with some kind of tree species instead, would be ideally suited to elves and their pointy eared progeny.

Basically, you tent stake the ugly beardless abominations out in the hot sun over fertile soil, and plant a single seed of a fast growing tree species beneat them.

The seed sprouts, and over the course of a few days, it forces its way through the victim's body to reach the sunshine on the other side.

Add insult to injury, name the tree afterwards, cut it down, and turn it into wooden furniture.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 05:27:02 pm »

The only ethics that matter outside of worldgen and diplomacy are the ones related to butchering kills and sentients, IIRC.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 08:22:01 pm »

you could always try to mod them to have the proper tags for animal training, no? then train them as war elves/goblins.

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 08:33:34 pm »

My fortresses each have an execution room where a goblin/troll is slaughtered by dwarven military squads in full view of lots of other goblins/trolls in cages.

There is no need for hard-coded torture.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

MetalHead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 09:09:09 pm »

My fortresses each have an execution room where a goblin/troll is slaughtered by dwarven military squads in full view of lots of other goblins/trolls in cages.

There is no need for hard-coded torture.

I had something like this, but instead of an execution room/block I made a multiple z-level magma reservoir with clear glass windows for walls (I called it my Lava Lamp).  Bottom level had floodgates allowing refill of forges if necessary (and were closed during further filling in case I misplaced one of my forges), next had forges/smelters/all magma structures and massive stockpiles for their use...

And then the top level had all the disarmed, naked scum in a goblin-only animal stockpile.  When their time to die came, their cage would be moved to the mass-pit setup I had over the Lamp next to my dumping hole.  After each siege or ambush was completely crushed I would force them to watch first all of their personal belongings that I didn't want and then, one-by-one, their friends and comrades get tossed into the furnace and incinerated before their eyes until their number came up and in they went too.

I've debated leaving a sole survivor from either one, a few or each wave to fall in the shadow of my walls to escape by pitting him outside or something.  Not out of mercy of course (what's that?) but rather to let the only sign of a siege sent my way to be a single, naked and cowering survivor retelling of the terrifying inhabitants of the great granite scar on the savanna.

godisdead132

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven B.L.T. Beer Liquor and Tantrums
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 09:49:21 pm »

back in 28d i use to capture tentacle demons and cage them with an elf in a pit. then i would line the edges of the pit with a ring of weapon traps with one wooden whip each and force elves to run around the cage pit so it was always coated in elf blood

w= weapon trap
x=cage pit
l= wall
                  _____
                  lwwwl
                  lwxwl
                  lwwwl

think of what life was for that one elf in the cage. stuck next to an abomination that likes you a little too much while constantly hearing the screams of your freinds nearby and feeling their blood rain on you
may your lånem nentuk & zodost i hope your rÜsh is dezrem & serkib
1. Start DF
2. Mainline Whiskey untill it all makes sense (even dwarven behavior)
3. Pass Out.