Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 927 928 [929] 930 931 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3939924 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: What?
« Reply #13920 on: May 11, 2013, 03:14:31 pm »

(Is that everybody on the shuttle?)
Yep.

Head home.
You fly back to the base, you cargo of idiots in tow. Once there, you help them off and drag Auron, still unconscious, to the med bay.

Fetch Simus' stuff and hand it back. Then take a sample from the back of the specimen, about 10 cm deep. Perform basic tests to see what its basic components are, then move on to identifying more complex molecules.

((You want me to give specific tests, or would you like it more to simply tell me what one could find out with the available tools?))
(How you go about testing would be helpful, since I'm not exactly sure how you would test the chemical composition of the shell. Probably various chemical reactions)

You take a sample from the creature's shell, drilling in roughly 10 cm. You don't hit anything "fleshy", you just get a solid chuck of shell.

"The thing seems to be like, 90% shell...Insulation, I suppose.  You mutter to yourself, turning the sample over in your hands."

It's incredibly heavy even in these small amounts; heavier then solid lead by the feel of it. 

((@RC:I've got some weirdvision info on the rocklice in the alien autopsies section of my notes if you want some ideas.
@Mesk: I think all of green team is aboard.))

Send a drone over the domes (look if there's something special in the center of the sector) and a drone over the salt.

Your dual drone mapping provides a few insights. First, the domes are quite different in their arrangement then the normal zones encountered so far. The bridge multiple areas and are extremely thin and long rather then condensed like the others. What this means, you don't really know.

The salt expanse is more normal, however the drone picks up something rather odd in its flight. A clearly man made object, though it's hard to tell what it is. It appears to be a wreck of some sort, judging from the trail it gouged into the ground on the way to it's final resting place. The drone marks the location with a red star.

But if you can find a chemical test or something, that might work.

((I tried that, you never responded properly. There was a very good reason I listed all of those different chemicals when I did my initial testing.))

Hey Miyamoto, I'm done with Gilgamesh for now, I'll park him in the garage, then I would like to get my phase suit back.

Park Gilgamesh in the garage, then assist Miyamoto's shell testing (on separate pieces of shell) with the same physical and chemical tests that were performed last time. (Test a bit of each sample in the following manner: Examine under microscope, weigh on scale/measure volume (and calculate density derived from those two measurements), submit to hardness testing, test radiation/heat emission, test for electric charge, submit to flame (be sure to record flame colour), then, after the sample has cooled, reexamine under microscope to see if the structure may have changed during heating, reweigh on scale/measure volume (and calculate density derived from those two measurements), resubmit to hardness testing, retest radiation/heat emission, retest for electric charge. Record all test results on a datapad, then put physical tested samples in different containers, with their names appended with (Physical Properties Tested), subject each to the following in the fumehood: Sulfuric Acid, Hydrochloric Acid, Nitric Acid, Aqua Regia (Mix 1:3 nitric/hydrochloric acid), Ammonia, Sodium Hypochlorite solution, Potassium Rhodizonate imbued paper, (Molten) Sodium Hydroxide (be sure to use a metal container), (Molten) Potassium Chlorate, and Acetone. Observe any and all effects.)
(Well, you've gotta tell me what each of those chemicals are testing for. Because frankly, I don't know what the hell you're looking for with all of them or even how they would react. Like, if you say "I want to test for carbon compounds, here's X test that uses Y chemical and if it's positive the resulting fluid will be green or what ever. Because I mean, If I said "Here's a sample of Indalloy 117, what happens when you mix it with these 15 chemicals?" would you know the results to all of them? Actually, if you studied chemistry maybe you would...Well, I don't. Thats the important part.)

Microscope reveals a very dense crystalline formation, the sort of thing you'd expect more in a pure metal sample then something organic and is cubic.

The density is very high, about 19 grams per cm squared, though samples from different depths in the shell yield slightly different densities, with the outer shell being the most dense.

It is extremely hard, around an 8 on the Mohs scale, though the outer shell is again harder then samples from deeper in.

It emits neither heat nor radiation, nor does it have an electrical charge.

The flame you have on hand is incapable of burning the sample and none of the subsequent measurements seem to have changed from their originals.
Wait for shuttle to return to base then go find Miyamoto and tell him what happend.

You run to the lab and recount the tale of blind recklessness and debilitating results using a wide variety of hand gestures and lots of hopping.

((Which one of us had wierd vision again? as that could be useful in finding out what mineral samples we gather contain or just a bit more about them.))
"Ok then"
see if it is possible to rig up a rough flame test to check for any traces of phosphorus,copper,rubidium ect. See if it is possible to use a similar technique as is used on stars to ascertain chemical components due to absorption of different visible light wavelengths (from memory spectral absorbtion or something similar)

I dunno if those will  work...but the Iron sample contains both Silicon and carbon as it's impurities.

((I listed at least one indicator, which would be Potassium Rhodizonate, which'll show any lead in whatever kind of alloy it is. Hydrochloric acid reacts violently with zinc, sulfuric acid produces green smoke in contact with copper, and the other chemicals serve similar purposes, as well as testing corrosion properties (Aqua Regia is almost specifically for that purpose). But yeah, if PW wants me to explain what something in the tests is for, I have no issue telling him so that he can give a better picture. And if he wants me to slow down my experimental batteries, I'm good with that too.

And Corsair, the flame colour test is a part of my physical test regime, but PW never answered it for my original samples.))

It's powerful, that's for sure. I didn't mess with it too much, it's yours, not mine, and it's mostly built for combat anyways. I might get synthflesh first, but a battlesuit might be worth looking into, especially if I customize it in Tinker before ordering it. Might even try to find a way to incorporate the Phase Armor into one.

Yeah, the explaining it part would be good. My level of scientific education is basically "Self taught and knowing just enough to be dangerous/to make a fool of himself"

Get treated.  Beseech help from any gods that listen.

"Help me mesk, please, I'm bleeding bro, I'm bleeding."

Mesk reads a virtual newspaper on his datapad.

"Why mesk, why?"

You drag yourself to the med bay regardless and curl up on one of the beds.

((Ouch, it seems like Mesk is still a bit sore over the whole 'I'll-gouge-your-lungs-out-with-a-fork-you-bastard' thing. Who knew, huh?))

Chill out and wait for the drones to return. Chuck a few rocks out onto the salt flat and try to hit one of the larger crystals to see if anything happens. If nothing bad happens, go ahead and scrape up a sample into a container, being careful not to touch it at all with anything but the sample container.
Rocks react to the salt crystals about as well as you'd expect them to: they hit them and then fall down. You scrape a bit of the crystals off the surface and then it back down to wait for the drones.

Continue around the iron lake, staying alert.
You follow it around into the 13th sector and find what looks like the entrance to a cave. The iron sea dribbles a thin stream of blinding yellow-white metal into the mouth of the cavern, a burning line that traces it's way down the rocky decline, illuminating the cave with a steady, though dull, yellowish glow.

map

http://i.imgur.com/wroghh8.jpg

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13921 on: May 11, 2013, 03:52:33 pm »

Go see if anyone needs any non medical help.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13922 on: May 11, 2013, 03:57:57 pm »

"Could it be... Hey, I think we've got something from the previous team here. Could it be the one Anton was looking at, the one who took that shuttle? But why is he here? Those shuttles are supposed to last until the border... Watch out team, I've got a bad feeling about this..."

Perform one final battery of tests:

Fire a laser pulse at the ground inside the dome with the laser outside the dome. Touch that part of the ground that would have been heated with the rod. See if I can feel the heat passing through the dome. Remove the rod and see if it has been heated at all.

Perform the same test as above with the laser inside the dome if the laser failed to heat the inside of the dome in the previous test.

Fire a laser pulse to the ground to heat it up. Stick my pole in the hot ground and put the rest of it inside the dome. Wait for the heat to spread. Then remove the pole from the dome and test it for heat.
((Basically trying to determine what kinds of energy pass through the dome. I can see that vibrations caused by sound are stopped. Now I want to see if vibrations caused by heat are stopped too.))

Stick the hot part of the pole in the dome for a few moments (reheat as necessary) and then  after waiting for a bit see if it has cooled down more then normal while in the dome. ((Now trying to determine whether or not the dome absorbs all kinds of energy.))

If all previous tests reveal no danger then ask one of my teammates to hold my hand while I take a peek inside a dome. Open my light lamps.

If a teammate is holding me, first put a finger inside the dome. Then a hand. Then an arm. And finally stick my head in.

Use the the lamps for illumination (if illumination is possible). Fire off a few laser pulses to the ground close to me and a few towards the center of the zone. Hit the ground with my feet (that are still outside) and see if I can feel the vibrations with the rod now.

In the first sign of danger, physical or mental, pull out. If unable to pull out, activate jump rockets at full throttle to aid in my retreat.

Then follow the leader.

((Can everybody else see the map? It looks incredibly blurry to me for some reason.))
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 04:05:46 pm by Parisbre56 »

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13923 on: May 11, 2013, 07:51:29 pm »

wake up and assess my addiction and remaining giggle effects.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #13924 on: May 11, 2013, 09:07:09 pm »

Perform triage and begin diagnostics on whoever's in most need of treatment.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13925 on: May 11, 2013, 09:38:02 pm »

((Bro?  Is Lars channeling the spirit of Thrak?  Can't be good.))

Perform faith healing on self.  ((I'm sure leaving that vague will cause nothing bad to happen.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13926 on: May 11, 2013, 10:10:50 pm »

Blue Team

Bishop stares silently at the new map data for a bit, thinking and weighing up risks. Finally, he radios back to the base.

"Hey, this is Blue leader here. We've just had a drone find something that looks man-made. Seems like a wreck of some kind that's out on what looks like a salt flat. We've also found some interesting domes that seem to cancel out all light and form some kind of band of sorts.

What do you think we should do Base?"

Have everyone chill out for a bit and watch the experiment with the domes. Ponder how there can be anything man-made out there when the previous team all died in the gravity seep.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13927 on: May 12, 2013, 02:08:12 am »

General Transmission to everyone
"Hey I need some help from that magic vision guy in the lab if you could come here or direct him here to the labs that would be appreciated."
If/when he appears direct him to the sample and ask for some assistance. Otherwise test its strength.
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13928 on: May 12, 2013, 06:24:01 am »

Blue Team

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

'You can go investigate the shuttle, but use extreme cautious. Don't go all at once, keep some disatnce, the other team is down because they all were affected by something at once. But leave those domes for later, once you're sure there aren't any monsters hiding in it the experimentation can wait for a bit.'

Help Mesk with the 'wounded'. If he doesn't need help, then go check the computer and the desk in my bedroom for anything left by the previous teams. Then command Alvin for a self-diagnostic.
Also check how long we've been here already.

Quote from:  to the exploration team
How are things going there? Have you found anything noteworthy? Any interesting samples taken?

((@ Paris: what is the 'cube of death' in the barracks? Just noticed it in your notes.)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 06:31:19 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13929 on: May 12, 2013, 09:46:05 am »

((@ Paris: what is the 'cube of death' in the barracks? Just noticed it in your notes.)
((Hadn't someone taken the strange alien cube that vaporized the mutant spaceship with them? I don't know, I might be imagining stuff, but I was certain that someone took it with them. If not, I'll just erase that.

Also, will update the notes sometime soon. A fun little project I've been working on for my team in Perplexicon has been taking most of my free time.))
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 09:47:54 am by Parisbre56 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13930 on: May 12, 2013, 12:41:41 pm »

((Hadn't someone taken the strange alien cube that vaporized the mutant spaceship with them? I don't know, I might be imagining stuff, but I was certain that someone took it with them. If not, I'll just erase that.

Also, will update the notes sometime soon. A fun little project I've been working on for my team in Perplexicon has been taking most of my free time.))

((Wait, what mutant spaceship? Paint me stupid, but I'm not following right now. though I'm also trucking on an retarded lack of sleep, which probably isn't all too good for my memory.

Also, I really want to get into Perplexicon someday, but gosh darn has that thing become huge. ))

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13931 on: May 12, 2013, 12:45:22 pm »

"WHAT? DID SOMEONE SAY MAGIC VISION?"

Head to the labs, and see what the dude needs help with.

((I brought the Cubeulator with me. I call it that because it seems to be a massive cubic manipulator. Or at least functions like one. I was also the Mutant spaceship. I was one of Herr Docktors experiments. I was a "human" that could survive in space. I was essentially a humanized MKI sans medical system.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13932 on: May 12, 2013, 12:52:38 pm »

((I'm back and caught up on reading. Glad to know my team hasn't destroyed themselves in my absence. And good that we finally found the leader of the last expedition.

On the other hand, this is getting progressively harder to visualize. The descriptions are great, but I'm not entirely sure how the domes look like, or what the "underground passage" is. And yes, the map is too blurry to be useful.
And Piecewise, regarding the map, could you post the stuff we know about the sector on the map even if it's not restricted to a specific square? Like when we discover what "sector x" looks like but we don't go in there, it'd be useful to have like a large floating text there with the description. Or with the giggling sounds too, some sort of floating text to inform us of the description would be helpful. Please read the above suggestion.

On the ground, not much for me to do right now. Bishop and Flint took care of samples and experiments, so...
And for the motion anomalies, is there any reason we still don't know their height? We kind of repeatedly said that we were testing for that.))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #13933 on: May 13, 2013, 02:29:12 am »

Lukas

Lukas is standing around feeling useless. "Hey Miyamoto, any more heavy lifting you need done?"
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13934 on: May 13, 2013, 06:22:56 am »

Lukas

Lukas is standing around feeling useless. "Hey Miyamoto, any more heavy lifting you need done?"

'not really. Why don't you go back to red team and tru to gather more samples?'

Pages: 1 ... 927 928 [929] 930 931 ... 1256