Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: My Little Darkness: Memories of Harmony (+Phoebus graphics, v1.04b)  (Read 14045 times)

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Never forget the past…

My Little Darkness: Memories of Harmony

Features
The Dark Presence is an ancient and malevolent force that has existed throughout the land since time immemorial, older than even the immortal elves. Though there once was a time when it was imprisoned deep within the bowels of the earth; now it travels wherever the night exists, stealing the bodies of ponies, dwarves, humans, elves, and goblins alike and twisting them into murderous, mindless puppets as it consumes the world in shadow. Already there are regions twisted completely into eternal night, where shadows permeate the sky possessing all who come in contact with them, yet the Dark Presence continues, choosing sentient mortals as vessels for its incorporeal form, so that it may infiltrate untouched lands and bring the darkness to them.

Taken, remnants of sentient beings fully possessed by the Dark Presence, they fight viciously and without mercy. Now only hollow puppets controlled by the Darkness, they cannot be saved and must be avoided or killed.

All Taken are cloaked in a blurry shadow which renders them nearly impervious to physical harm.

Only the Light can harm them.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Any sentient corpses that come into proximity of the Taken or the Darkness, whether they are the bodies of your fortress citizens or invaders defeated by your defenses, will be stolen and turned into new Taken.

Five Types of Taken

Flankers

Teleflankers

Stealth

Assault

Changelings

New Evil regions, where Taken roam freely under an eternally dark sky. Here the Darkness travels the land, and will steal even your living citizens away from you should they be caught in the open.

“The Touched”

“The Nightmares”

But not all hope is lost. Legends tell of the Dark Presence’s escape through the exploitation of its prison deep beneath the earth, a surreal underworld both conceptual and subjective – that flows instead of holding solid form, where imagination becomes otherworldly reality. Now, fleeing from the shadows smothering the land, the brave denizens of Equestria must unite to find and fight their way into the bowels of earth…to even hell itself…in search a way to stop the Darkness once and for all.

Note: The Taken are intended to complement the procedurally generated evil regions and undead, as well as the bogeymen, vampires, and night creatures in adventure mode, through reduction of those settings to 10 or below in worldgen settings so that the custom interactions may appear. It is, however, recommended that you lower procedurally generated demons to 0.

Completed Special Talent and Cutie Mark Functionality

60 career family talents and associated cutie marks. Possession of a talent boosts skill gain rates and reductions in rust rates for a select few skills within its family, along with minor boosts to less closely associated skills. (Boosts to attributes are planned but have not yet been implemented) Furthermore, many talents are limited to specific castes, or have a caste alignment which leads to greater numbers of that caste possessing them. Examples include;

Over twenty prestige-tier talents with unique combinations of skills and better boosts to mental/physical attributes, at the cost of being rarer than ordinary talents. Examples include:

Rare caste-unique prestige talents.
While all Earth, Pegasus, and Unicorn Ponies all possess the innate abilities of their caste, the select few possessing these cutie marks are able to take full advantage of their tribal heritage.

While talents are innate, the cutie marks which are the only outward indicator of talent do not appear until a foal becomes an adult.

Credits:
Concepts and songs from Alan Wake are the property of Microsoft and Remedy Entertainment.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 09:39:13 am by Lycaeon »
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Darkness: Memories of Harmony (v1.00)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 02:57:27 pm »

Changelog
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 11:22:23 pm by Lycaeon »

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 02:57:51 pm »

My Little Darkness v1.00 updated features.

The Nightmares …in death, they refuse to be forgotten…

The Dark Place

Taken changes

Darkness Purging

Light combat changes

Magic Research
   Arcane research will provide access to the wide range of spells available to the unicorn tribe, but is only practical in well-established, fortresses. However, even novice unicorns may now quickly learn the apprentice level spells, making the necessary resources well worth spending in the end for a magic-using military. Warning; most of these reactions will produce arcane fumes that will poison any non-unicorns nearby.

Lenscrafter’s Workshop – Here precious gems are carved into lenses, one of the basic components of research.
   Arcane Research Facilities – Used for the purification of magical essences from Taken dark sludge as well as the research and production of scrolls of arcane knowledge.
   Arcane Scriptorium - Here, the scrolls of arcane knowledge are transcribed into tomes for spells. One scroll of knowledge may be transcribed into a single tome for that level of magic.
   Magic Archives – Once a tome is produced, it may be practiced and eventually learned here. Novice unicorns will suffer the direct effects of any spells they attempt to learn.

Performing Arts and Talents

Paper Industry
   The paper industry produces the paper, tomes, scrolls, and ink necessary for magical research and other endeavors.

Minor changes
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 05:32:28 pm by Lycaeon »

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 01:07:02 pm »

Re-uploaded after removing [NOTHOUGHT] from taken, so they can be killed by brain injuries. Also removed an automatic testing reaction and somewhat buffed torch duration.

Some more balancing with light is still in the works, mainly newer weapons as well as distribution mechanics. All in all, combat between torch-wielding soldiers and Taken is now much more even, with about 3 times as many Taken necessary to take down a well-trained squad, depending on the number of special Taken (Except for the Nightmares, most of whom can cripple full squads by themselves).

agertor

• Bay Watcher
  • Socks, so useful I wear them
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 01:19:50 pm »

I don't suppose there is a Taken without the ponies, don't get me wrong. I just want to put the taken into the dwarf fort world
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN
I came back with my sandwich. That was the saddest sandwich, I had ever eaten in my entire life.
you are an evil person sock.

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 03:51:06 pm »

I've uploaded a version which adds only the Taken and other minor additions to vanilla DF.

As the main development arc is pony-driven, I can't guarantee consistent storyline updates to this version, though all other changes should take place as normal.

agertor

• Bay Watcher
  • Socks, so useful I wear them
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 09:26:25 pm »

~Thank you~
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN
I came back with my sandwich. That was the saddest sandwich, I had ever eaten in my entire life.
you are an evil person sock.

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 09:40:09 am »

Hotfix version 1.00c

Returned [USE_ANIMAL_PRODUCTS] to pony entity after noting it was missing in the previous version.
Reduced surface Nightmare frequency.
Reduced the frequency of Taken kobolds.
Removed whirlwind from shadowbolts and taken wonderbolts and increased gust recharge period.
Removed requirement of cloth for the production of flares and torches.

Also, in the reaction_light raw file, please change [REACTION:MAKE_TORCH3] to [REACTION:MAKE_TORCH2]. It shouldn't affect any games in progress as there's another reaction for torch making, but it does reenable the making of torches in bulk.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 10:05:25 am by Lycaeon »

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Darkness: Memories of Harmony (v1.00c)
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 12:00:14 pm »

Updated to version 1.02 with some additions and adjustments.

Three new Nightmares and associated Artifacts.
Artifact purification reactions are now automatic.

Performing arts system revamp and musical/leadership/comedian cutie mark talents.

New light weapon: Flashbang grenade

Flares now require pyrotechnic flare powder made from charcoal and saltpeter (or potash) at the grinder, in the same manner as the flashbang.
Citizens can carry flashbangs or flares, but not both (Though they can still carry torches).
Light distribution system revamp.

New Spell: Steadfast Ward (Apprentice level spell which renders user immune to apprentice level spells as well as reducing physical damage)
Ink requirements for arcane research reduced.
Spells will now have their level (apprentice, adept, master) listed next to them in the archive. Probabilities for learning spells are listed below.

Included Vherid's warm colors as an optional colorset.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 12:09:59 pm by Lycaeon »

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Darkness: Memories of Harmony (v1.02)
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 01:33:59 pm »

We might need
now. Buggers who sneak into fortresses looking like a normal pony: priceless.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 03:06:53 pm by Pokon »
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 05:43:27 pm »

We might need
now. Buggers who sneak into fortresses looking like a normal pony: priceless.

Just finished watching the new episodes. I've been thinking about a way to implement a civilization embodiment of the darkness for a while now...a changeling variant of Taken would be perfect. :D

thetyler101

• Bay Watcher
  • [SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 06:07:11 pm »

This mod is... just... wow.  :o  You sir have gone above and beyond on this one.  I'm reluctant to just call this a pony mod.  It just goes so much farther than that.
Why are there not 500 replies on this page!

Give that bitch some stone crafts, bitches love stone crafts.

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 07:15:19 pm »

Thank you kindly. :)

I hope you enjoy playing, though I'm always looking for feedback and suggestions. The beta version was plagued by quite a few bugs which I managed to iron out in time for v1.00, leaving some the features I had planned pushed into future updates.

For the changelings...they seem to me like pure embodiments of darkness not needing the bodies of others to assume a corporeal presence. In such a form, their shrouds' illusory capacities are increased, allowing the bending of light and their subsequent visual transformation, as well giving them a vast, almost alien intelligence. However, without a physical anchor, they are more reliant upon belief and emotions to not only maintain their form and appearance, but to also fill the void within their hearts. In short...it's going to be quite the challenge to mod them in.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 07:49:50 pm by Lycaeon »

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 01:04:29 am »

This looks awesome, Downloading now.

Tecknojock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 07:34:42 am »

This sounds great. Subscribing.
Pages: [1] 2 3