Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Creatures  (Read 11382 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Creatures
« on: April 21, 2012, 10:48:05 pm »

Norns, Shee, and haploid genetics.  If you know what I'm talking about you're probably grinning pretty wide right now.  If you don't know, get grinning.

It has, however, become apparent to me that the game is on sale starting at $60 in some cases, and I'm not interested in having a collection-quality CD laying about.  Does anyone know of a legit (or otherwise) source that I can get this game?  I can't imagine the software being costly anymore, it's just the hard copy of discontinued CDs that rise in value.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Creatures
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 11:03:40 pm »

On a different note, as seen in the Kickstarter topic, the man who created Creatures, Steve Grand, is working on a new project.

It's similar and clearly this man has gone fey!

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 11:10:26 pm »

Yeah, his new project looks very cool. I am a bit skeptical about how accurately he well he can pull of emulating some of the more advanced real-world science he's trying for, but I think the end product will be interesting even if he has to cut some corners for the sake of performance.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 04:47:07 am »

Creatures 1, 2 and 3 were the defining PC games of my childhood. Absolutely adored that series. Docking station was okay, but it opened up the potential for trolls to send out norns with faulty genes that you couldn't detect with the initial medical scanners.
As for where to get copies.. I'm not sure. I still have my original hardcopies from the good old days. There are always harbours of a piratical nature, I guess. It's not like any of the money you'd spend getting a hard copy these days would go back to the devs, anyway. Especially considering the company went under many a year ago.
When you get your hands on a copy of C3/DS, sling me a PM, I have all of the official norn DLC (Toxics, hardman, etc) backed up and I'm happy to share.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 04:48:47 am »

The entire Creatures-series has been on GOG.com for a while now. http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/creatures_the_albian_years

Creatures 4 is coming up this summer as a F2P game, but the Collector's Edition will include the previous games as well.

The Creatures series is still owned by Gameware, with GOG.com redistributing the games and BigBen having the rights to produce C4, so the games really aren't abandonware just yet.

You can always have a poke on some of the forums from the Creatures Community, they're small but still active. Still lots of mods and new content being released too. I'm usually on CreaturesCaves.com and CC Chat as AquaShee.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 04:54:23 am by Rhodan »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 04:51:01 am »

Creatures 1 + 2 - $5.99
Creatures 3 + Docking Station - $5.99

buy all most best creature games only gog.com all cheap ralex watch also
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 07:51:41 am »

Hoooo shit gog has it! :D  Now are there any suggestions on what to get and where to start?  And of course all the good plugins will likely be needed, I doubt they come with the default instal.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 01:26:04 pm »

Oh god science, I'm tempted to go get this game. It's a shame I was too dumb as a kid to know what the hell I was doing, I probably would have had quite a lot of fun with this.

All I can remember is injecting Norns with cyanide, then injecting them with life (or something) repeatedly to try to keep them alive. Really fucking sick now that I think about it, keeping them on the verge of death like that.

Oh god science.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 04:15:33 am »

I am also interested in this. Which game to get though? Is there one that generaly regarded as the best?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 04:21:50 am »

IMO (and that of the dev Steve Grand), Creatures 1 is the best of the bunch.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 07:04:55 am »

IMO (and that of the dev Steve Grand), Creatures 1 is the best of the bunch.

agreed. C1 had more charm than the others

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 08:10:09 am »

In C1 I taught my creatures to follow my "hand". It was glorious. 8)
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 09:23:40 am »

I got the 1+2 bundle and a friend encouraged me to play 2.  It sounds like, to me, that 1 is where it begins.  2 adds more stuff and more flare, which is good or bad depending on how you want to see it.  3 is not a sequel, it's just a different set of rules.  Not a better or worse game, just a different game.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 10:14:27 am »

I got the 1+2 bundle and a friend encouraged me to play 2.  It sounds like, to me, that 1 is where it begins.  2 adds more stuff and more flare, which is good or bad depending on how you want to see it.  3 is not a sequel, it's just a different set of rules.  Not a better or worse game, just a different game.

1 is the beginning, 2 was supposed to improve on 1 (but IMO is quite buggy, and it wasn't as well received) and 3 does infact follow on as a sequel. What happened was the discworld that the Norns lived on suffered a colossal volcanic eruption which wiped out (nearly) all life. The only surviving Norns and Grendals were those aboard a Shee ship in orbit around the discworld.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 11:09:36 am »

Actually, the story is as follows:

First the Shee leave the planet Albia in the Ark, escaping the first volcanic eruption that destroys most of the planet.
C1 takes place after this first eruption. C3 takes place on the Ark itself, which supposedly orbits the spherical planet the Shee chose as their new home. They possibly departed the ship and left it in orbit.

Somewhere else on the planet, a Shee that was experimenting with something called the 'Warp' completely failed to notice everyone else had left. He was possibly travelling the rather unpredictable Warp and completely missed the launch, probably arriving back on Albia decades after the events in C1.  This Shee then builds/grows the Capillata and launches it using another volcano, chasing the Ark. This second eruption uncovers more of the Shee's technology and sets the scene for Creatures 2.

The Capillata is the setting for the C3 expansion 'Docking Station', which works as a standalone free game but can also be 'docked' with C3 to give you a larger world and some of the additional features, such as letting your Creatures travel to other player's worlds.

There's more background stories that came with the various breeds, but they're a bit silly. They mostly involve the Warp.

If you want a free fix of Creatures, I recommend you get Docking Station (it's free!) and check the community for additional rooms, plant life, animals, toys, useful objects and Creature breeds. There's a lot of stuff out there and plenty of stuff still gets released from time to time. One of the latest release floods even contained a rather awesome Lovecraft-themed room for aquatic creatures.
Pages: [1] 2 3