_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5801536 times)

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: On ship thread
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2012, 04:43:31 pm »

((Thomas prefers to work alone, but will join up with others if it will benefit him))

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2012, 04:46:11 pm »

((Ivan wants some vodka))
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2012, 04:52:52 pm »

Before he forgets, Bishop does some final tests with his new weapons on robotic opponents on passive in duel, namely full body prosthetics and other robots. As he mulls over his token shortage, an idea comes to him. Bishop logs out for a moment and looks up at the roof.

"Computer, I know that your listening, so I have a deal for you. I am willing to sell the schematics to two new useful weapons, for the armory to reproduce for others. Doutlessly you have seen the results in the VR machine I've been using. Intrested?"

Test out both new weapons on robotic enemies in duel, then talk to steve about if he's interested in buying the schematics to the new weapons for the armory. If he requires more convincing, tell him that I'll also work on another blueprint for free if he's willing to pay a good price for these two, and that the results speak for themself as he's doutlessly seen. After his response, search for the hottest containable liquid and the coldest containable liquid as well as what material is required to hold them. If said materials are far to expensive to use in ammunition, then search for more affordable options.
You try out the weapons in Duel against various robotic and synthetic prosthetic. The bolo cuts through the artificial muscle on the robot, but fails to penetrate the metallic "bones".  Against the Synth-flesh it cuts in a bit and then stops for some reason. Hmm. The EMP works quite well on the robot but doesn't seem to have any effect on the synth-flesh.

>Their usefulness is still in question. I'll tell you what though, if you can find some way to prove that they're viable in actual combat situations-the fact that they kill dummies and unarmed, passive simulated targets doesn't amount to much- and worth the cost of manufacture then I'll place them in the armory for mass use and give you a bonus for aiding in the war effort.

You try to search by the temperature of the material and find it doesn't have such a setting.  [intelligence roll:5] You realize you might be going about this the wrong way. Objects don't have inherent temperatures so searching for the hottest or coldest liquid doesn't make much sense. What you need to do, you figure, is find a vessel capable of heating or cooling something very dramatically and then find a substance that would handle how you'd like it to under those conditions. 

Work out the next three designs: a gauss rifle with two charging circuits, a gauss rifle with four charging circuits and a double-barreled gauss rifle with four charging circuits (two per barrel). Then put on an exoskeleton and test them with or without using overcharge against an unarmed battlesuit and then against an Avatar of War. Compare the price in tokens for each of these three weapon designs.
"Punch many holes in things", huh? *chuckle*
...Also, Steve, do the 'Corps ever employ any tripods or bipods?

You begin fiddling with the design of the rifle, copying and pasting the charging circuits around. With two charging circuits the time between shots is cut in half. With 4 it's down to a little more then a 1/3 of a second between shots. The effect of two  barrels with 2 circuits is that you can get off a shot roughly every 1/3 second, each barrel firing with .75 second intervals between shots.

You head to duel and test out each configuration against a battle suit and avatar. As expected, the rifles with more charging systems fire quicker. The damage is universal, as none of the guns have any sort of power advantage as they are wired.

Battlesuit: normal: Small dent, Overcharged:  slightly larger dent.

Avatar: Normal: Bounced off cloak.  Overcharged: Bounced off cloak but tore a small hole.

>What do you mean?

((And I'll try to get some research on shielding that exoskeleton computer from EMP - among other research projects, that is.
Oh, and also - how do you feel about making a general policy to share knowledge as well as schematics among all the 'Corps members? Do you think it will be IC (for the most of characters, at least)? Well, I guess, 'making the lemmings invent useful things before being expended' as well as 'the spirit of comraderie demanding to help each other' would be two viable reasons, but what about the rest of us? Oh, and also I'm not quite sure that it would be IC for my character to bring up such an idea - unless he thinks that others would approve of it. Hmmm.))
Think over the personalities of the comrades and try to guess whether the idea of sharing knowldge (e.g., how to use this and that) and research data/projects would appeal to them, or not.
You'll have to ask around about that, I don't want to go volunteering people.
((Ivan wants some vodka))
If you live you can always check the armory, they have a lovely supply of chemicals to "augment" yourself with.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: On ship thread ((Ivan wants some vodka))
« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2012, 05:46:15 pm »

((Uh, okay - sorry for that. I just hoped I could get some roll to test wisdom/understanding people, but I see that it might get really ugly that way. Hmmm, I would interpret this result as 'I don't really know these people too well', if you don't mind.))

Well, it looks like I'll probably need to find some other way to increase the damage output.

>What do you mean?
Ah, I just wondered whether bipod and tripod weapon mouts can be purchased (and are viable for the task of steading weapons), or not - well, never mind, I'll probably just go and ask the armory master.

Try making a larger version of a gauss rifle - longer barrel, circuitry with more capacity, but no bigger caliber. Make it about halfway in between the gauss rifle and the heavy gauss cannon - or somewhat less, perhaps.
Then try making a smaller version of a gauss rifle - a gauss pistol, that is. Try lowering the caliber a bit to achieve that, but no more.

*humming joyosly while working*
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2012, 07:07:18 pm »

((So did my Sabre request go through?))

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2012, 07:10:54 pm »

((So did my Sabre request go through?))

((Yes, I assume you missed the post?))
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2012, 08:49:20 pm »

Sweet, I got into the thread title twice!
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2012, 08:56:15 pm »

((Actually, so did Feyri.))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2012, 09:04:28 pm »

"Well, I can't ask for anymore than that I suppose."

Bishop scratched his chin and got back to work, wondering why on earth the bolo didn't cut in that far for the synth-flesh. Maybe it was disrupting the vibrations too much?

Conduct tests on synth-flesh, namely to see what this stuff is capable of, what makes it so tough, what it's weak against, how it works, how strong it is when in smaller strands and if it's capable of being shaped and why it's stopping the filaments. Also, modify the bolo gun to have the foregrip in a pistol grip format, with the signaller buttons on it with the safety on the back so you press it with your thumb and the actual signaller in the form of a trigger. This should provide a bit more accuracy and stability for users.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2012, 09:46:08 pm »

((Just noticed all characters on the first pages in the main thread.

Heh, poetic on mine.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2012, 11:37:08 pm »

((Uh, okay - sorry for that. I just hoped I could get some roll to test wisdom/understanding people, but I see that it might get really ugly that way. Hmmm, I would interpret this result as 'I don't really know these people too well', if you don't mind.))

Well, it looks like I'll probably need to find some other way to increase the damage output.

>What do you mean?
Ah, I just wondered whether bipod and tripod weapon mouts can be purchased (and are viable for the task of steading weapons), or not - well, never mind, I'll probably just go and ask the armory master.

Try making a larger version of a gauss rifle - longer barrel, circuitry with more capacity, but no bigger caliber. Make it about halfway in between the gauss rifle and the heavy gauss cannon - or somewhat less, perhaps.
Then try making a smaller version of a gauss rifle - a gauss pistol, that is. Try lowering the caliber a bit to achieve that, but no more.

*humming joyosly while working*
(Don't worry about it. I just don't want to tell you that some guy is up for helping when he may not be. Might make people feel obligated.)

>Oh yeah, we have bipods and tripods for weapons.

You experiment with modifying the gauss rifle. You extend the barrel and add additional charging circuitry, routing it to add extra power to a single shot rather then provide faster shots. It will work, and it will make the shot more powerful, but the recoil will also increase in kind.

Next you try shrinking it down, lowering the caliber a bit and making a gauss handgun. That will also work, but it won't be much stronger then an old style gunpowder one.

"Well, I can't ask for anymore than that I suppose."

Bishop scratched his chin and got back to work, wondering why on earth the bolo didn't cut in that far for the synth-flesh. Maybe it was disrupting the vibrations too much?

Conduct tests on synth-flesh, namely to see what this stuff is capable of, what makes it so tough, what it's weak against, how it works, how strong it is when in smaller strands and if it's capable of being shaped and why it's stopping the filaments. Also, modify the bolo gun to have the foregrip in a pistol grip format, with the signaller buttons on it with the safety on the back so you press it with your thumb and the actual signaller in the form of a trigger. This should provide a bit more accuracy and stability for users.
You bring up a chunk of synth-flesh and all the information the computer has on it. Hmm. Apparently the reason why the bolo couldn't cut very deep is because  the flesh reacts to physical damage by nearly instantaneously coating the invasive object in a type of crystallizing solution that halts its advance. As per manipulating it, it seems that it's more grown then anything else, and that the only real way to make specific shapes is to do what amounts to genetically engineering it to grow into what you want.

You rework the foregrip on the bolo gun, rearranging the buttons to be more ergonomic and easy to use.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2012, 02:52:49 am »

"Hmmm... A crystalizing solution eh? That sounds interesting..."

Get a large sample of this solution and conduct experiments to see what will nullify it's effects. Vibrations don't work, and neither does brute force, so perhaps a chemical solution of some kind? How does it react to heat or cold? What about electricity? Maybe it reacts to sonic frequencies? Try EVERYTHING!

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: On ship thread ((Ivan wants some samogon))
« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2012, 05:42:18 am »

Test the gauss longrifle against a battlesuit and an Avatar of War (both in normal and overcharged modes), test the gauss handgun and the hand toaster against Mk I and Mk II suits, compare their effectiveness. Also, return to the double-barreled gauss rifle and test if firing two overcharged shots simultaneously (while wearing the exoskelton) improves the damage output (if only a little; perhaps it can rock the target or something like that).
Estimate the price in tokens of the gauss longrifle, the gauss handgun as well as of those three many-circuit designs of the gauss rifle.

Thank you, Steve. Now, time for explosives.
((Ivan wants some samogon))
((FTFY ;D ))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2012, 01:32:53 pm »

"Hmmm... A crystalizing solution eh? That sounds interesting..."

Get a large sample of this solution and conduct experiments to see what will nullify it's effects. Vibrations don't work, and neither does brute force, so perhaps a chemical solution of some kind? How does it react to heat or cold? What about electricity? Maybe it reacts to sonic frequencies? Try EVERYTHING!
(Your bolo's don't vibrate by the way. Remember, you cut that out when the vibrations destroyed the net.)

You bring up information on the Synth-flesh's reaction to trauma. Apparently it is only effective against physical objects, things like lasers or electricity are unaffected. There's no data on specific chemicals to counter the reaction, but it seems that the reaction is effective in repelling chemical attacks with acidic or basic solutions. There is no data on Sonic frequencies, but the computer suggest that such a thing might be effective. It would require very high energies though.

Test the gauss longrifle against a battlesuit and an Avatar of War (both in normal and overcharged modes), test the gauss handgun and the hand toaster against Mk I and Mk II suits, compare their effectiveness. Also, return to the double-barreled gauss rifle and test if firing two overcharged shots simultaneously (while wearing the exoskelton) improves the damage output (if only a little; perhaps it can rock the target or something like that).
Estimate the price in tokens of the gauss longrifle, the gauss handgun as well as of those three many-circuit designs of the gauss rifle.

Thank you, Steve. Now, time for explosives.
((Ivan wants some samogon))
((FTFY ;D ))

The long rifle seems to have negligible effects in both modes against both targets. The Hand laser cuts into both suits after a few seconds of exposure, the Gauss pistol seems to lack the power and mass to penetrate the suits. You test the double barrel gauss cannon against an array of suits. The mk I-III are each pierced by the shots, the battle suit and avatar don't budge.

The computer estimates that the long rifle will cost between 5-7 tokens and that the Gauss handgun will cost 3. As per the other variations, a plain double barrel will cost 5, 7 if it has the extra charging circuits. A Normal Gauss rifle with 4 extra circuits will cost 4. The circuits can either be routed for parallel charging to allow faster firing or simultaneous charging to increase the power of the shots. The circuits are 2 for a token.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2012, 01:37:12 pm »

((@Nikitian: I was thinking about creating a rotary gauss cannon, a.k.a. gatling-type cannon.You can try it, if this team survives and gets some artifacts we may end up slightly less poor.))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 2101