Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21

Author Topic: Torchlight 2  (Read 74138 times)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Torchlight 2
« on: April 29, 2012, 05:17:21 am »

Hello guys, I did a search for this but didn't find any.

I am wondering if any of you pre-ordering Torchlight 2 on Steam? I am so disappointed by Blizzard I don't plan on buying Diablo 3, so Torchlight 2 seems to be the next best alternative to satisfy my hack-and-slash appetite. Also, anyone interested in getting the four-pack? I'm in Australia and I know most of you are in the US so not sure if that is going to work.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Torchlight 2
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 06:33:40 am »

I'm seriously considering picking it up as I had a great deal of fun with the first one. The expanded world and character customisation seems like it should make the game even more replayable. I wonder if characters from the first can be imported over?
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 06:36:04 am »

Steam's good with worldwide gifting etc. I'll likely get it at some point, as I enjoyed the first one.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 08:38:08 am »

I'll give it a try since the first one was very lax on the system requirements, and me and my roommate have been looking for a hack'n'slash that can run on, well, anything really. I hear the second one is using the original engine, only reworked, so it should still run well on my communist tractor of a laptop.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 09:13:29 am »

The first one didn't run on my GMA netbook past the title screen (the whole "runs on netbooks" thing was largely a scam as it was unplayable on most netbooks, even on minimum settings with netbook mode on), but it runs beautifully on my Radeon 4250 laptop. I'll definitely be picking TL2 up.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 09:17:17 am by freeformschooler »

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 09:24:05 am »

I think it did run on some netbooks, but it very much dependent upon the architecture. Some were reported to have handled it, some weren't, and there didn't seem to be any way of predicting it.

As for Torchlight 2, take my monies. Take them now. May try and get some of my friends to run through this with me co-op :D Diablo 3 can suck it.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 10:11:49 am »

Is 2 as broken, tedious, and overrated as 1? I played FATE; it was decent, but not good enough to be repackaged, and I haven't seen anything to indicate this will be better.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 10:28:28 am »

Is 2 as broken, tedious, and overrated as 1? I played FATE; it was decent, but not good enough to be repackaged, and I haven't seen anything to indicate this will be better.

What was broken? Tedious is what people describe hack & slash games as when they don't care for the play style. It's endless clicking and loot whoring. That's all there is in the genre and we, as fans,  can't get enough of it.

To the best of my knowledge, 1 was underated if anything. And Torchlight and FATE are a bit different. FATE is more casual but still similar.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 11:00:10 am »

What was broken.... ah. This is what I remember from playing.

• I lost a character because one of the puzzle map segments glitched out in the campaign and there was no way to reset/regen the map. Stuck forever.
  • The Alchemist's "caster" tree only had 2 spells that would scale with any damage type.
  • The... transmuter, was it? The horadric cube in NPC form never worked right for me. Gems in particular seemed random; I could put in 1 small gem and it would cycle through every quality, then to another gem type.

There's also the fact that half the skill trees for every character were the same (the "adventuring" skills) which seemed disingenuous to me. +axe skill spawning on a 2H crossbow. Arrows that can't fly to the edge of the screen. Paying an enchanter to strip your items of every mod. Set piece gear with random mods, so... pretty much entirely useless. Fishing (the worst).

I'm a big fan of aRPG's; I loved Dungeon Siege (2 mostly), Titan Quest/Immortal Throne, That Game That Can't Be Mentioned Here, and even hybridized stuff like Dungeon Defenders (haven't gotten to Orcs Must Die yet). Torchlight just seems like a bare skeleton with some clothes stuck on it, that could have been great, but wasn't. There's plenty of polish but no substance or longevity. The more I played, the less I liked. I'll probably check out Grim Dawn and That Game That Can't Be Mentioned Here 3, though.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 11:15:41 am »

Really looking foward to this. I'm glad they've (for whatever reason) decided to make a coop multiplayer game before they try and make an MMO.

Also Orcs Must Die isn't really an ARPG at all.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 11:57:15 am »

... That Game That Can't Be Mentioned Here 3 ...

Is there some reason for this? Just curious, since I noticed the lack of a thread, and now this.

Releasing Torchlight 2 so close to the aforementioned (aforealluded-to?) game is a pretty bold move, I think.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 12:24:12 pm »

I concur with Darkmere. I liked Torchlight, but I also felt like it was kind of hollow in multiple ways. Since I haven't played any of the demos, I guess I won't know whether TL2 falls into the same trap until it comes out.

Also, for everyone speaking of co-op here: we HAVE to have some Bay12 Co-op games.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 12:50:56 pm »

... That Game That Can't Be Mentioned Here 3 ...

Is there some reason for this? Just curious, since I noticed the lack of a thread, and now this.

There is a thread for it, and I know at least a few here look forward to it. It was mostly complaints in the thread though, so instead of fueling the fire I just went to the incgamers site and started posting there. Maybe after release it'll get better.

Orcs Must Die: I saw it compared to Dungeon Defenders a great deal, I guess I just assumed. I'll still play it at some point, though.

OT: I do hope TL2 goes forward and succeeds at its own thing, but I'd prefer to wait-and-see. The "teaser trailer" that was a Shank-style movie showing that irritating sorceress and destroyer getting killed by the big bad you didn't really actually kill in 1 didn't inspire confidence for me, though. I got a vibe that they're promoting more of the same, instead of progression.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 03:27:04 am »

Been playing the beta for 2 or 3 days.  I'm quite pleased with it.  I played Torchlight 1 a bit, but I also found it hollow.  However, this one feels just as substantial as any of the other ARPGs around.

Everyone I know is talking about Diablo 3.  I was honestly looking forward to that and jumped on the open beta weekend with great optimism.  It only took me half an hour to get disgusted enough with the game to uninstall and never look back.

So just being online tonight makes me want to talk about Torchlight 2 :P    I'm going to go play it again in a bit.  If anyone is curious about anything, I can enlighten.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 12:36:11 pm »

I purchased The Game That Shall Not Be Mentioned Here 3 and had a blast for the couple hours I played, but I will probably also buy Torchlight II, as I thought the first one was charming, and you can't beat the price-tag.

Torchlight was the game I used to try to get my daughter away from Sims and minecraft.  She liked it well enough, especially the pets.  Having to explain DPS and AoE was another story...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21