Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clothing: A partial solution to the clutter  (Read 6800 times)

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clothing: A partial solution to the clutter
« on: April 29, 2012, 11:50:28 pm »

I have a lot of slightly worn clothing clogging up the finished goods piles. In a fort as old as mine, which is around 30 years, it will overflow your storerooms.

Here is what I did. Make a gigantic stockpile that accepts finished goods and refuse. Turn off everything in the refuse menu and turn off everything except clothing in the finished goods menu. I set the number of bin to Zero. you won't need them. With about 100 haulers bringing scraps, the clothing will rot away before the stockpile fills up. Remove all of your other finished goods stockpiles, or just turn off clothing in their menus.

your dwarfs will bring everything in your fort to this clothing/refuse pile. It will rot and disappear now. When things are all done and the clothing coming in slows to a trickle, you can delete the stockpile and build 5 clothier shops. I Make mine right next to each other side by side left to right.
The first one makes one of every type of cloth "armor" on /R repeat Includes things like vests, robes dress, shirts, etc...
The 2nd one makes trousers only on /R repeat
3rd one makes caps and hood on /R repeat
4th one makes shoes and socks on /R repeat
5th one makes gloves and mittens on /R repeat

Do not create any new finished goods stockpiles for these new clothes. Let them stay in the workshop until it *CLT* then cancel the /R repeat order
Dwarfs will come and claim new clothing as their old stuff wears out.
Check the clothier shops every so often. You can look at the *CLT*. When it goes away, turn the repeat order back on for a while.

When you are once again swamped in a tidal wave of clothing around the entire fort, repeat Step 1 and make a new Clothing/refuse pile. Optionally do a Mass forbid across the 5 clothier shops so the new stuff doesn't get tossed into the trash, Make sure to Mass Claim them back after you finish and remove the refuse/clothing pile.

Once the next update arrives. This whole thing can be automated. Stockpile can draw from specific workshops only. So you can have a permanent refuse/clothing pile and a regular clothing pile that only accepts stuff from those clothier shops.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
Re: Clothing: A partial solution to the clutter
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 06:05:25 am »

If you do not turn repeat off on the cluttered workshops, their production should get progressively slower until their output rate matches your citizenry's uptake of new clothes. Self-regulating!

Patroclus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 07:19:24 am »

The disadvantage to this method is that without finished goods stockpiles, the clothing that goblin traders* bring won't ever get hauled anywhere.

What I've been doing to clear out the old clothing is searching for "x" in the Bring Goods to Depot interface.  Worn clothing will show up.  Unfortunately you have to select every item one by one, but it will let you clear it all out.

*: you offer them vicious brutal murder in exchange for taking all their goblinite off their hands (and feet and heads and torsos). Sounds like a fair trade to me!
I want Hell to be a place where my dwarves can live in peace and harmony.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 12:59:31 pm »

Goblin clothing stays forbidden. I mark it all for dumping before I claim it. I don't let dwarfs claim clothes to wear from an unsecured area like the surface.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 01:03:31 pm »

What I've been doing to clear out the old clothing is searching for "x" in the Bring Goods to Depot interface.  Worn clothing will show up.  Unfortunately you have to select every item one by one, but it will let you clear it all out.
Just set up a macro of enter+downx20 and you can select entire pages of them simultaneously.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 02:42:20 pm »

I always sell the slightly used clothing for phat loot.

Hoomans show up with metal bars, and oversized armor I can melt down into delicious bars. They seem quite happy to take the multiple masterpiece quality worn clothes off my hands.

(Fortress has been running for over 60 dwarven years now. Clothiers, dyers, and weavers hit legendary quite some time ago.)

Rather than letting (approx) 500 urists of value vanish, I trade it out for something entropy proof, like metal bars.

Sure, it takes awhile to get all the bins to the depot, but that's fine. Time stands still on the trade screen, so if they get it there, it sells.

It makes a great value pump to get nice fat caravans too.  I routinely overbudget them with a half million urist trade balance. The human caravan loves me.  I think their whole kingdom wears our castoffs.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 12:00:56 pm »

I have a clothing workshop endlessly producing clothes, and also a farmer workshop endlessly processing plants to get pig tail cloth, and a few looms. This leads to a constant production of new clothing which is enough to keep up with demand. Then there are three ways to handle used clothing:

A) Have the only clothing stockpile also be a refuse stockpile. Ensure it accepts nothing other than clothes. No bins allowed. All clothes are hauled to this stockpile and rot away unless claimed by a dwarf. Any unclaimed clothes rot away without any fuss. Continual new production of clothing is required for this as you will not have clothes stored up in advance.

B) Create a stockpile that accepts only clothes and nothing else. Allow it to accept bins. Put the stockpile near a garbage chute, atom smasher, or magma pit. When the stockpile gets full, mass desginate everything for dumping. Then go into the stocks menu and undesignate bins for dumping to save the bins. All used clothes get tossed into the garbage disposal, bins are saved to be filled up again.

C) Same as method B, except "donate" your bins of used, dirty thongs to the traders.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 12:03:49 pm »

B will cause your masterwork clothing and cloth to be destroyed, which will piss off the workers who made them. Trading them or making them rot in a refuse pile doesn't have the bad thoughts though.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 12:06:30 pm »

B will cause your masterwork clothing and cloth to be destroyed, which will piss off the workers who made them. Trading them or making them rot in a refuse pile doesn't have the bad thoughts though.

Rotting clothing in a refuse stockpile doesn't seem to cause a negative thought. Also negative thoughts are related to how many masterworks the dwarf has created. If the dwarf is churning out 5 masterworks a day, he won't care if they rot.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 12:40:15 pm »

Also, you can exclude masterwork from the stockpile.
Most of my stockpiles are limited to certain quality level, to better manage inventory.
(especially armor, so that only the highest quality is kept, everything else re-melted)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 03:11:43 pm »

Also, you can exclude masterwork from the stockpile.
Most of my stockpiles are limited to certain quality level, to better manage inventory.
(especially armor, so that only the highest quality is kept, everything else re-melted)

I do this as well. I have a stockpile close to my forges and crafts workshops that holds only masterwork weapons, armor, and finished goods (but not clothing). Because its the closest thing to those stockpiles, whenever I decorate an object, it picks something from that stockpile, so I have gloriously decorated armor and weapons for my military.

The non-masterworks are stored in a different stockpile adjacent to a garbage dump and smelters. Every once in a while I mass designate it all for melting. All metal objects are then melted down in the smelters. Once thats done, I chuck the rest into the garbage, but save the bins by undesignating bins for dumping through the stocks menu.