Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Fool's Art Request Thread  (Read 16061 times)

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fool's Picture a Day Self-Challenge (May 2012)
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2012, 02:32:23 pm »

Draw a zombie dwarf.

It only took me about 2 hours this time around. I'm fairly familiar with human-like muscles so I skipped the line art step and hopped to shading.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2012, 02:38:03 pm »

So casual!

imo, a little more time on some dynamic posing and a little less on detail wouldn't have gone amiss. It feels... very flat, very static, and overall very stiff.

Also, is the dwarf blushing, or is it just me? :P

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2012, 02:46:16 pm »

Yeah... I don't often draw people (despite having memorized basic muscle anatomy), so my poses are kind of flat. I think I might have to practice that a bit before I tomorrows picture. It really is something I need to work on.

I was thinking that the dwarf would have a bit of a redder face from having alcohol all the time, but I could be wrong. Maybe it was a bit too much red?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2012, 02:47:18 pm »

Redder nose. You make the nose red. :P

I've got no clue how that actually works, heh.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2012, 02:03:07 am »

You could also just totally do pose practice as tomorrow's picture. It's relevant to helping you draw quicker, right?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2012, 03:20:52 am »

You could also just totally do pose practice as tomorrow's picture. It's relevant to helping you draw quicker, right?
Strike a pose! Or pose a strike! Or just pose menacingly.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2012, 04:28:20 pm »

I did get some practice in using 60 second poses with posemanic, but photoshop crashed after about 25 poses because I forgot to close off a process that hates the keyboard and photoshop. Needless to say I don't think I want to do the same thing again.

Things have been stressful lately and I think I'm just going to not post an image today. Over the next few days I'll need to look into game art schools (anyone know a good one in Canada?) since computer science proved to be another dead end. I'm fairly sure that I'll be moving to the east coast by the end of next year since most Canadian gaming companies are around Montreal, so there are probably a lot more schools out there. I need to look into what I can take that will transfer this year while I save up for a bus ticket and a couple months rent. I'll continue posting pictures tomorrow.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2012, 04:32:58 pm »

No. That's no acceptable. You've issued yourself a challenge, sir, and even if you're image doesn't turn out great, you should do an image. Even if its a few minutes off effort. Even if its less. You gave yourself an image a day challenge - don't let yourself down!

(This is supposed to be encouraging, not demanding. If it comes off that way.)

All the successful artists I know claim to have gotten that way through bloody-minded persistance, and doing /something/ every day, no matter what. Some of them aren't even terribly good!

Edit: Okay, most. I don't know how the one fucker managed it, and he's not sharing.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 04:38:26 pm by GlyphGryph »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2012, 04:36:50 pm »

I, too, really think you should draw POST something, even if it's lower quality. How about a 15 minute forest scene? (Or just a chicken if you really don't want to draw landscapes this month.)

EDIT: Post! I meant post! I did read the post about photoshop crashing while drawing.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 04:42:34 pm by Nirur Torir »

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2012, 04:40:57 pm »

I would need to make an image, cook, eat, and get ready for work within an hour. That's not happening. -_-

I'll try to make something after work, but I can't promise anything great. I'll post what an hour or two of attempted forest looks like. It won't look great, but I don't think it'll be horrible.

EDIT: Thanks for the push. Feel free to call me on it if I ever try something like that again.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 04:58:35 pm by The Fool »

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2012, 12:37:14 am »

Don't like double posting, but here's my forest. I think it worked out well. Click to make it bigger.

Spoiler: It's a Forest (click to show/hide)

I played with textures as I went and it sped things up. This took me about an hour and a half. I'm amazed that it went that quick because I really dislike drawing landscapes normally. I might have to include backgrounds from here on in.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2012, 02:00:05 am »

Nice. I like that light effect.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2012, 08:58:19 am »

Are you taking requests?

If you do, draw a well-cultured Dalek, please.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2012, 09:25:52 am »

Did you make that grass texture yourself? Is pretty nice.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2012, 09:58:54 am »

I'll be thrilled when I have the skill to draw landscapes/backgrounds like that.

Just don't burn yourself out by adding another hour per day for backgrounds if you're already annoyed by how long they're taking.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9