Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Deities  (Read 4550 times)

Auning

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Deities
« on: May 03, 2012, 01:21:31 am »

A few ideas on expanding the concept of deities:

Small altars scattered throughout the land dedicated to certain deities. Perhaps these altars are built in the area of where something relative to the god occured. For example, if there was much murder done (perhaps in a large scale battle/war in the "Desert of Static" then an altar made to one of the deities of murder would be constructed within it. Or, if possible, at the site it happened.

There should only be one type of each deity, if possible (if it isn't already like this). For example, only one deity of travelers, only one deity of persuading. This needs to be inplace for the following suggestion to achieve the intended effects.

Deities should generally inhabit the world in places that are akin to their governing, if possible. For example, the god of the sun may reside in the biome that gets the most sunlight in the world. The god of rain in the biome that gets the most rain in the world. For other more difficult deities types, such as deities of fire, may have their own procedurally generated places. Whether constructed by their followers, or ones they created by themselves. For example, a deity of fire may reside in a firey pit deep inside of a mountain (like a magma crab), or even more unlikely, on the surface, in a land that it has completely decimated with fire over time. There are many difficult deity types that would be hard to incorporate, but in the end, the effects would all be very interesting.

Perhaps in fortress mode, if you please a deity, you could get them to reside in your fortress, or reside nearby. For example, creating many, many, high quality iron goods may please the deity of iron. Engraved images of them would also attract their attention. Just as well, you can enrage them. If you chop down massive numbers of trees the deity of trees may get very upset with you, and will result in repercussions of some degree. Such as attacking/smiting down anydwarf that tries to chop them down.

It should in no way be easy to come into contact with a deity, or get them to even converse with you (If even possible, in their case). But when you've gained their trust or favor, perhaps you can perform various tasks relative to their power for them. Such as slaying the enemies of their precious followers, or dealing judgement for them. Perhaps amassing sacrifices for them, such as the god of iron demanding at least 300 dwarven weight units of iron items to be brought to his domain. Perhaps the deity may bestow onto you a gift/power/object once you have greatly pleased him/her/it. Whether it be the god of healing bestowing an enhanced rate of recovery, or the god of (insert name of material) giving you a random artifact crafted from (insert name of material), masterfully engraved with itself on it in adamantine, etc. These meetings with a deity will very rarely happen, but those who seek it, and are smart about seeking one, very well might find one.

The main goal of these additions would be to add more content for those characters that simply don't want any more business with/have mastered dealing with goblins, bandits, and the occasional roc/dragon. It would add a sense of wonder to the world, rather than always knowing what will be over the next hill, or in this next cavern. Rather than a question of "Either it's nothing, or some variety of creature/enemy that i've already encountered many other times, or poses no real challenge." It would allow for many unique and memorable adventures, and fortress challenges/blessings. Nothing like having the deity of magma being pissed at your dwarves.
[DESCRIPTION:A horse-like creature susceptible to severed nerves when muscles are torn in limb, grasp and starting length are all the same.]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_YOLK:LIQUID]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE:BIRD_ROC]

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deities
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 04:00:44 pm »

There should only be one type of each deity, if possible

In Greek Mythology there was Hades, Cronos (who later took control of the Elesium fields), and Death (who I forgot the name of).

And those arn't all the "death sphere" gods in greek mythology but it gives you the idea of multiple gods of the same type. Though a more well known combination would be Ares and Athena who are both gods of war.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 04:29:17 pm »

As I read it all I could think is that I would so have to hunt them down in adventure mode. But, one deity per type doesn't seem right to me. I'd say one per type per civilization. So, while your civ might have a god of suicide, there's nothing stopping the dwarven civ next to yours also having a god of suicide. And, at the same time, nothing saying it WILL either. But that's just because I like the thought of civs going to war in world gen over which god of pigtails is the TRUE god of pigtails.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 06:48:15 pm »

That's a cool idea dizzyelk.

I'm all for anything that gives religion more of a punch past "This God Cursed This Guy (Who profaned his temple) with some Werechinchilla disease" or something like that.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Auning

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 06:55:30 pm »

I think you're right. I was just thinking only one deity of each type as it may overpopulate the entire world with them, making them as easy to find as a vampire. However, if there are multiples, as long as they remain elusive, it would actually provide more interesting potential content like what you were saying. The deity of pigtails smiles upon thee.
[DESCRIPTION:A horse-like creature susceptible to severed nerves when muscles are torn in limb, grasp and starting length are all the same.]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_YOLK:LIQUID]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE:BIRD_ROC]

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 06:59:04 pm »

If Deities can "vie over territory" so to speak, it also leads to the possibility of "God Wars".  Gods themselves get upset about other Gods which are too similar to themselves and send their followers out to slay the followers of the other.  Possibly including a way for the God, themselves, to be supplanted by the attacking god.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 07:11:38 pm »

If Deities can "vie over territory" so to speak, it also leads to the possibility of "God Wars".  Gods themselves get upset about other Gods which are too similar to themselves and send their followers out to slay the followers of the other.  Possibly including a way for the God, themselves, to be supplanted by the attacking god.

Frankly... Gods can have the same sphere while having DRAMATICALLY different jobs.

I mean... Greek Mythology had tons of nature gods.

The game should make gods different in ways other then spheres. I'd find it dumb if the god who oversees souls about to die fights the god who decides where people go when they die for his job.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 08:05:36 pm »

... but wouldn't it still be cooler than Elves fighting you because you cut down too many trees?  And Gods of beauty cursing people with werepantherism?

Escapism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 01:30:27 am »

Hm. While you could have a ton of gods in a world, I think it would be a better experience to have just a handful major ones represented. That way, you'd have some familiarity with them, and they'd be more meaningful, compared to if you have a hundred gods per world.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 08:09:24 am »

That much is true.

Possibly there could be a distinction made between Lesser gods and Greater gods.  Like the Romans did.  They had hundreds of god-like creatures represented in their myths, and even household gods that were worshiped by only one or two families at most.  But the BIG guys were important and everyone still knows them, like Mars and Jupiter.

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 06:44:55 pm »

That much is true.

Possibly there could be a distinction made between Lesser gods and Greater gods.  Like the Romans did.  They had hundreds of god-like creatures represented in their myths, and even household gods that were worshiped by only one or two families at most.  But the BIG guys were important and everyone still knows them, like Mars and Jupiter.

I like this idea but I don't think it should be one sphere per god. There were tons of gods related to the seas in many civilizations for example.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 06:56:55 pm »

I like this idea but I don't think it should be one sphere per god.

Nor do I.  But gods which are close enough to each other should vie against each other, either for worshipers or supremacy, possibly resulting in some kind of military action by their followers or at the very least an assault or profaning of a temple or two.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 10:34:36 pm »

Nor do I.  But gods which are close enough to each other should vie against each other, either for worshipers or supremacy, possibly resulting in some kind of military action by their followers or at the very least an assault or profaning of a temple or two.
Especially if their other spheres don't line up very well. Say God A is the god of gold, death, and fish, whereas God B is the god of gold, life, and socks. They're more likely to fight because they share the gold sphere, and have opposing spheres in death/life. However they aren't as likely to fight God C who is the god of gold, oak trees, and cats. But still more likely than God D, who is the god of dimple cups, rain, suicide, and thongs, who they share nothing with.

On the other hand, if they didn't end up fighting God C, they could also ally with them, since they share a sphere, but don't have any opposing spheres.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 10:42:08 pm »

Especially if their other spheres don't line up very well. Say God A is the god of gold, death, and fish, whereas God B is the god of gold, life, and socks. They're more likely to fight because they share the gold sphere, and have opposing spheres in death/life. However they aren't as likely to fight God C who is the god of gold, oak trees, and cats. But still more likely than God D, who is the god of dimple cups, rain, suicide, and thongs, who they share nothing with.

On the other hand, if they didn't end up fighting God C, they could also ally with them, since they share a sphere, but don't have any opposing spheres.

This aint God War II, buddy. This be DWARF FORTRESS. There aint no allies, only blood-foes and future blood-foes!
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 10:46:32 pm »

Agreed on both the previous points ;)
Pages: [1] 2