Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: The Necromancer: Prologue  (Read 28537 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
The Necromancer: Prologue
« on: May 06, 2012, 08:59:45 pm »

NECROMANCER
Chapter One: Prologue

Necromancers. We're Feared, hated, reviled. There's no reason for it. People fear death, but we walk with it and converse with it. We learn from it. And so they fear us. They believe we prefer the undead. They are ignorant, but it makes us alone. And those who are alone are excommunicated.

I am a Necromancer. Despite no sin, I burn in the "holy" light of Arnor. Despite no wrongdoing, I am hunted by my own family. Despite no crime, I am hounded by the authorities. I am an outcast, a leper, a forsaken scrap rotting on the side of the road.

I don't hate them for it. It just makes me sad.

I pull myself a little bit closer to the small campfire I've made. It took me hours to gather enough twigs and leaves for a few minutes of warmth, avoiding patrols and monsters. I'm going to make the best of it. I always do.

It's so cold. I've almost forgotten my name...

Spoiler: Player (click to show/hide)
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: The Necromancer: Prologue
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 09:00:30 pm »

Suggestion game or what?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 09:04:40 pm »

I'm guessing it is.

> Given=Haggul; Clan=Trukh; Patronym=Gurronik (son of Gurron); Truename=He-who-will-not-cease-and-does-not-give-up-and-Whose-heart-is-filled-with-bones
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 07:13:33 pm »

Is this going to have anything to do with your avatar? :D
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 07:20:39 pm »

Given= Lenen
Clan=Trukh
Patronym= Prus
Truname= That Which Deserves the Fall
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 03:17:52 pm »

Lenen Prus, of the Clan Trukh.

I used to be that person. Now most people know me by title, NECROMANCER. But I suppose, in my heart, I know myself by my true name. A true name holds power, as it describes the person and is utterly unique for each and every one. A true name cannot be Discovered, only given by a loved one. My mother gave me mine.

I am Adaman Vukar, That-which-sands-harder-than-Iron. I am a NECROMANCER.

I am forsaken.

As dawn approaches, I snuff out my little campfire. I need little sleep, as a practitioner, and so I spent the whole night last night simply trying to survive the cold night. But now it's time to move, or they'll find me and hunt me down like a dog. I try not to think about if they use dogs.

I know this area well; it's nearby my childhood home. I have three areas, each good in its own way.

In the Wilderness I will find no solace and no companionship. I'll find no corpses either, and so I'll be far weaker than normal without any servants. Building a shelter here will be long, arduous, and painful, but I'll be nigh invisible to the populace at large. I'll not have to worry about being found nearly as much here.

In the town I may be able to rent a room, or squat in an abandoned house. If I raid some dungeons, I should also be able to buy one legitimately, or I could always just beg. It'll be hard and gritty, but I should meld into the mass of people, hiding my secret, and there's no shortage on dead bodies in a populated area like that. Money will be a major issue here.

In the cemetery I think would be the obviouls choice. There are a multitude of corpses there (obviously) and money will be a non-issue as people usually don't charge rent to squatters in a crypt. That said, it's high risk as a graveyard will be the first place they check if they hear but a whisper of a necromancer. It will be a furtive existance, but I will grow in power very quickly with so many souls hovering about.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 03:27:16 pm »

Head to the Wild Unknown the Wilderness. A cemetery would be too obvious, and the townsfolk hate you. If you're going to find anyone willing to help you, it'd be where life isn't so easy that people can afford to hate each other.

To be fair, they often do anyways, but it's safer than the rest. And it's easier to hide your activities there if need be: anyone who goes through really won't care as much.
Basically, go to the Wilderness.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 05:52:06 pm »

To the Wilderness
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 03:41:59 pm »

The Wilderness is probably my safest option.

I'm already in a good spot; far enough off the road that no-one should see my shelter or campfire, but close enough that I shouldn't get easily lost. I can use the road for transport, since people don't hate what they don't know is there.

It takes me the whole day to gather up leaves and sticks, construct a serviceable shack with fire. If I want anything more than something a caveman could build I'll need servants. Since I'm not going to kill random people for them...

I could get them from the cemetery. This will result in mostly skeletons. Skeletons aren't as mindless as zombies, since their brain is replaced with a magic simulcrum. They're fairly weak though, in terms of brute strength, meaning they make better crossbowmen than constructors, but an extra pair of hands is an extra pair of hands.

I could ambush highwaymen, thus dodging that moral issue. If they feel like they can kill someone else, I can feel like I can kill them. The fresh corpses will make for smart, strong zombies, but it carries the very obvious danger of facing a highwayman in combat. I'm a necromancer, not a battlemage or fighter. The thought of this path makes me shiver, but the rewards would be large...

I could raise animal servants from the surrounding woodland but they would be... Not very helpful. Not only would there be a small reward for a rather larger amount of work, but the animals will start to starve without fresh corpses and the towsfolk may notice. It would be my safest option, though, as dead animals don't fight back and the living one eating it tends to run away.

Or I could recruit living servants from the nearby populace. IT's a startling security hazard as far as being found out, but the poor there would be easily lured for a while into my service with the small puch of gold I have on me from... A Memory.After I recruit them, they'll be safe since turning me in will mean death for them as well, and they're able to reproduce and create more servants for my immortal self.

My final option would be to make myself a Souljar and make myself into a Lich. This would eradicate any chace of me going unnoticed amongst the populace, not to mention my dashing good looks. My clothing would also not survive the transfer, meaning I would be a naked skeleton in the middle of the woods. This would be my eventual plan, but only after I grow old and need the immortality. Being a Lich would endow me with incredible power, but there would be no subtlety with it. I would need to work fast and hard to survive.
Thou art I, I art Thou.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 03:44:42 pm »

BunnyBob77

• Bay Watcher
  • The Lurkmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 04:48:07 pm »

Get your minions from the cemetery.  Easy to get and useful servants.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 04:17:28 am »

Recruit living servants from the nearby populace

Mixed armies are better then undead only. And we need an apprentice.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 04:46:24 am »

Get an apprentice, teach them to make animals, then see how long it take highwaymen to become suspicious of all the sweet little woodland animals that are surrounding them...

Of course, if necromancy is something that cannot be taught, and you fail to find a talented individual amongst the destitute, then they will have to be less of an apprentice and more of a stable-hand/lieutenant/companion/body-guard. The offer of eventual immortality without need of basic sustenance should be appealing to someone who cannot afford to feed themselves...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Sorcerer Kail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 04:48:58 am »

Get skeletons, give them some kind of shooting weapon. Then ambush highwaymen and make some zombies. It's safer than ambushing highwayman right now, and recruiting living servants requires stable income of gold and well, also necromancers are feared so servants can report to guards/knights/whoever protects this land that necromancer is here. We should get them later when we will be able to resist smaller attacks.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 08:11:20 am »

Recruit living Servants. Why? To have the acceptance of the people while you practice your arts is a great boon. We need to desensibilize (i hope i wrote that right) the population to our Necromantic powers.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16