Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 100

Author Topic: Path of Exile - Betrayal  (Read 240956 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - Open Beta!
« Reply #330 on: February 20, 2013, 10:49:40 am »

One thing that slightly disappoints me about this game is the reuse of abilities for enemies. The vast majority of enemies use the same skills as players. It only slightly detracts from their uniqueness, but it makes the game seem less interesting to me and more formulaic. I tend to dislike teh "one size fits all" method of design, where you reuse everything so you get your money's worth out of it. I hope they invest in their enemies a bit more to give them some extra zazz.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 20, 2013, 02:37:25 pm »

In-setting, skills are bestowed by gems, there's no reason why the bad guys shouldn't also have access to them.  It also ties in with threat cognition... The bad guys are using the same things to pwn you as you use to pwn them, so all you need to see is what skill they're using, and you know exactly how deep in the shit you are.  (very deep, most of the time)

As for the gamedev angle, GGG has been laboring with a small handful of people for most of the years prior to OB.  As I understand it, the staff didn't really expand until the last year or so prepping for OB, and it's still a small team in the grand scheme.  They don't have Blizzard's war chest.  They're just NZ indies making a thing.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 20, 2013, 02:47:40 pm »

Oh I get the reasons. I simply don't like them. Threat recognition seems like a weak justification for it, especially since you'll learn to recognize other abilities just as quickly. I get sick of seeing the same abilities used everywhere in the game, period. I've seen a few non-boss enemies that do unique things, and I'm hoping for more that in the future. PoE has some issues with feeling generic already, and to me making every enemy based on skills and support gems the players are already intimately familiar with is rather boring.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 05, 2013, 02:11:58 pm »

So...  There's a big patch getting deployed today.  It's a whole bunch of stuff, so I'll just link to the announcements.

The verbose news post about the major changes can be found here.

The terse patch notes can be found here.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 05, 2013, 02:46:01 pm »

Quite a lot of stuff indeed. Debating whether or not to jump back in though; my computer can't really handle anything in Act 3 even at my reduced standards.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 05, 2013, 02:47:25 pm »

The new challenge leagues sound fun, but I REALLY burnt out on PoE shortly after finishing Normal.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 05, 2013, 02:54:49 pm »

I liked that Path of Exile is one of the only two games I've ever seen that do F2P in a way that doesn't offend me, and I like how interesting the skill/item/stats system worked.  I found the actual gameplay pretty tedious though.  :(

Might just not be my kind of game though.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 05, 2013, 02:59:14 pm »

Glad to hear about the rebalancing. Act 3 Cruel was just getting way too brutal, getting one shot every couple of minutes basically killed our play through.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 05, 2013, 03:19:00 pm »

Glad to hear about the rebalancing. Act 3 Cruel was just getting way too brutal, getting one shot every couple of minutes basically killed our play through.

Yeah, some of the noisier people in PoE's General Discussion have been using "Path of Life Nodes" as a pejorative.  Based on my own experiences, I can't really argue with it.  In spite of grabbing every node I could (with a Marauder) and favoring +life gear when possible, I kept running into a brick wall in Act 1 Merciless, just not enough HPs to quickly defeat an average mob.  Act 3 Cruel wasn't a cakewalk either; lots of strategic running through areas, and picking my battles.  Finishing Cruel was a huge meat-grinder, died dunno how many times.  (Hardcore, with all those lag spikes?  Hah!  Fuhgeddaboudit.)

Before these changes were announced, I was considering a hiatus until winter.  I suppose whether I do that depends on the details of how much the passives really changed.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Path of Exile - Release & Scion
« Reply #339 on: October 04, 2013, 11:00:27 pm »

Hello again, thread. So, it seems PoE is going out of beta now (on October 23rd, US time not NZ), and with it, a bunch of added things. Here's an interview which seems to have most of it, but have a summaryish post anyway, since the thread had died for a bit.

-Scion class - Unlockable class, dead center of the passives tree. Daughter of a corrupt noble.
-More skills, including a couple that make white items useful (or magics, or rares, or if you're far too wealthy, uniques!)
-Act 3X, the extended and more properly finished version of Act 3. More lore and boss and areas and other nifty things like that.
-PVP that is not duels. (race-like tournaments and capture the flag)
-Guilds
-Apparently going to be on steam
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 05, 2013, 02:03:59 pm »

I'm still playing a bit, but that's been erratic, schoolwork permitting....  And the 1.0 patch is landing during midterm week.  :P

My hardware is still on the fence for running the client well, so I won't be up for co-op, but I'm able to do some light trading for low level twink gear.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 05, 2013, 02:19:23 pm »

I'm quite excited for this, and will be willing to try coop with anybody that wants.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 05, 2013, 04:37:05 pm »

Glad to see this is finally heading to release. Haven't played much since the difficulty nerf to Cruel, but what I did play I enjoyed as usual.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 05, 2013, 07:50:53 pm »

I'd be willing to do coop as well, but I've been waiting until I had a computer that doesn't require a party to lag through the Act 2 normal boss into Act 3 to play it more than occasionally.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 22, 2013, 10:30:29 pm »

Patch notes for 1.0.0 have been posted.  Patch goes hot about 10am tomorrow (US West Coast / GMT-7).  No word on the DL size, but I'm guessing 2-3 GB.

The one big thing to discuss here would be the guild additions, which are quoted under the fold...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, anyone interested in doing a PoE B12 guild?  I'm still on fire with schoolwork, but I think I'll be a little better off in a week or two, once the mid-term squeeze is done.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 10:32:19 pm by aristabulus »

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 100