Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should necromancers be killed on discovery?

Yes
No

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Adventure mode challenge: Ultimate pacifism.  (Read 17123 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Adventure mode challenge: Ultimate pacifism.
« on: May 18, 2012, 02:10:55 pm »

If adventure mode is (according to a few) nothing but killing, more killing and even more killing, what would happen if you did none of that?

Rules:
  • Never kill anyone. If encountered with hostiles, flight is always preferable, however disarming/causing the enemy to "sleep" with choking is allowed, and preferred.

Disarming can be done by wrestling, grabbing your attacker's weapon and moving away. You can then safely discard the weapon and escape, knowing you've made the world that much more safer.
  • No companions. They do not understand the pacifistic way.
  • If you kill someone, you must meditate in reflection of your deed for 7 days alone in the wilds. Bogeymen help you focus.
                 Uzu Bash amendment1, if you kill someone you must confess your deed to this thread, and accept whatever atonement ritual is proposed to re-accept you to the pacifist way.
  • In extreme moments of dire need, when one is under threat of something, batman levels of violence are permitted.

Broken bones = OK
Broken skin = NOPE
  • Hermit bonus - Always travel. You can never sleep in the same place twice. You must attempt to talk to anyone you meet, and spread the word of pacifism.
  • Lycanthropy, vampirism and the secrets to life and death are to be avoided, they distract you from your path.
  • Undead can be slain, but over excessive violence that could lead to indulgence or distraction should be avoided. We're pacifists, not warriors. The dead should be buried, not mutilated!

With three exceptions. Vampires, Husks and Lycans should not be harmed. What others do based on truths you say is not on your hands.1 They are not dead, have never died and have sentience. By all rights, they should be treated as live individuals.
  • Stay alive for as long as possible.

Ultimate monk challenge
  • Legitimately acquire yourself some monk attire. Hoods, robes, cloaks, sandals and staves. If it's reminiscent of a monk, it's for you.
  • You are vegetarian now. No products that came from the death of another being.
  • Harm nothing, not even animals. Period. No harm to anything. Ever. True pacifism. And no proxy-killing through the manipulations of others either.
  • You mustn't steal.
  • Ostentatious items are not to be taken, unless they would help you along your path of pacifism.
  • Training in a martial art is optional.
  • Never sleep in a house. They restrict the mind, and the body from the true nature of the world.
  • Pilgrimage to faraway lands, to truly understand the nature of people.
  • Optional: Live an ascetic life. Try to have as little sleep as possible, drink as little as possible and eat as little as possible.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 04:07:35 pm by Loud Whispers »

vicwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure mode challenge: Ultimate pacifism.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 02:53:44 pm »

So to get food you either have to steal it, become a vampire or disarm hostiles and grab their money to buy food?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 03:00:28 pm »

Interesting challenge. Can I add to this:
If you kill someone, you must meditate in reflection of your deed for 7 days alone in the wilds. Bogeymen help you focus.
You must confess your sins on this thread and accept any atonement ritual proposed. No one is perfect, except the ones who are, and we'll just have to denigrate them to make us feel better about ourselves. But we can put the ones who transgress through some serious shit.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 03:12:33 pm »

So to get food you either have to steal it, become a vampire or disarm hostiles and grab their money to buy food?
How you find food is up to you. The rule is to not kill people - this is the Dwarf definition of pacifism. Whether or not this'll extend to mother nature is up to you.
Even taking this into consideration, defending people from angry bears would allow for food, finding a bag full of berries somewhere would last you for a LONG time, legitimately found gear can be bartered for food e.t.c.
The main focus is being a pacifist hermit.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 04:56:01 pm »

Extreme pacifist challenge I did way back in 40d using a bronze colossus. ended up causing a multirace war to sprang due to wild life killing the leaders.
It's possible to not kill folks but you have to play Adventure mode long enough to find other things to do outside of killing.
Luckly we got Minecarts to roll around and not have to find other ways to play like trying to start life as a trader of goods.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 05:32:02 pm »

Extreme pacifist challenge I did way back in 40d using a bronze colossus.
Yeah, if I were going to pick a challenge and comment on my ability to meet that challenge, first thing I'd do is cheat like a motherfucker, without the tiniest bit of shame.

See, this is why I suggested the confession clause. Someone is going to cheat, might as well be honest about it.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 05:54:03 pm »

Suggestions:

In order to prove completion of (or simply adherence to) the challenge, screens must be provided showing the adventurer has no kills recorded.

Similarly, for every kill, screens must be provided proving the absolute necessity of such actions.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 06:03:54 pm »

In a manner of speaking, this is easier than almost any other way to play Adventure Mode right now.

Just taking food from houses provides nigh-infinite food for free, or at least, amounts that would take so long to exhaust that you would go insane from boredom before you ate every sackful of food on even a small world.  Water is infinite. 

As long as you are reasonably fast and/or can sneak fairly well, you can just use running to the nearest drop-off in elevation or ducking behind a tree and sneaking to escape every battle.  It's probably safer than combat itself. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 06:08:35 pm »

Extreme pacifist challenge I did way back in 40d using a bronze colossus.
Yeah, if I were going to pick a challenge and comment on my ability to meet that challenge, first thing I'd do is cheat like a motherfucker, without the tiniest bit of shame.

See, this is why I suggested the confession clause. Someone is going to cheat, might as well be honest about it.
the multirace war was from elves hating on humans and the humans during that time having their town leaders die and had to migrate. the bronze colossus kinda lost her arms near the beginning of the playthrough and I spent most of the time walking to each town and talking to the leaders. soon after the elves must have sent wild life to kill them causing the residents to migrant to the only settlement left with a leader... the elves. long story short it was a bloody battle with elves humans and I thought I saw dwarves killing each other. though it was 40d one of the more more stuff to do version of adventure mode. so I guess pulling a tale from that page of history would be unfair.

Well then I got nothing after that character I pretty much scratch pacifism run off my list of things to do in adventure mode and went on to attempt stuff folks rarely did in adventure mode like having babies. Other times where I didn't harm or kill folks where doing trading runs or going through the game with no kills(to experiment on adventure mode to fort mode). then those (no kill)characters I barely remember doing any thing memorable outside of being a trader. So far my recent runs of adventure mode boils down to "grab minecart, push minecart through the world, try not to die." often get no kills on a couple characters due to either dying early or riding away from conflict.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 06:24:47 pm by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 06:22:08 pm »

Rumrusher, you've given a very justifying reason for confessing. You picked a non-standard race with its own benefits and penalties, but overall kept within the spirit of the challenge. I really couldn't call that cheating.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 02:50:11 am »

Not killing anything is much harder than it sounds; for one thing, leaving fast travel occasionally puts you right in the middle of a herd of animals. This occasionally leads to an odd situation where the animal suddenly notices you standing there and lashes out automatically, which can prompt a counterstrike. If it's a small enough animal, chances are good that you'll strike it down instantly or injure it enough that it will die shortly afterwards. Birds are especially prone to this sort of thing.

Now, if you choose to eschew the use of fast travel and decide to just walk, you have to constantly check in front of your adventurer to make sure that there aren't any animals in your path as it poses the same risk of blundering into an animal by accident and killing it entirely by accident. Keas for instance. Not just sneaking either as your adventurer will need to look up or down ramps to avoid animals below or above him/her.  The best thing to do there is to stick to level ground as much as is possible. Same for crossing rivers. It takes FOREVER to walk long distances as well so be prepared for hours of moving short distances that allow you to look ahead enough to avoid animal encounters; it took me several hours for Nish Koltulon to hike across the Bronze Towers for the Dawn of the World challenge in this fashion and that was only about a quarter or so of the map.

Far as food goes, the best option is to simply sell your weapons and purchase as much food as possible in exchange for that dagger and default weapon as that part of your life is now over. It might even be best to take sword/axe skill and a level of shield user just to have more to sell; that or slip into a catacomb just enough to regain some treasure. Inflicting harm on others by stealing from them ought to be right out as an option, but recycling or recovering goods from thieves shouldn't be. Especially if you sell them at well below their normal value since you can't actually give them to somebody right now.

An entire stack of plants at the market is enough food for months and you can always sell the seeds at a later date. Meat is much less of a bargain because of this. Barring buying a walking stick or another flask, the rest of the money should probably be given to a shopkeeper at the end by overpaying for whatever you buy as attachment to worldly goods like wealth doesn't really fit the idea.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 03:14:01 am »

Well hey, as long as you aren't killing anyone, I say the occasional breaking of an ankle or two should be entirely allowed as a non lethal method of escaping enemies.

Legendary wrestler-monks, here we come:p
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 04:10:14 am »

I like this. Basically in the spirit of "harm nothing that can feel pain." No stealing, no killing even for food. Like those Buddhist monks who sweep the ground in front of them as they walk to make sure they don't step on any insects by mistake. What about zombies though? They don't feel pain - is it acceptable to fight them to try to put them to rest and free them from their nightmarish existence?

I think we need an official deity for this challenge. Armok just isn't into the whole pacifism deal. Anyone have a good genned one in one of their worlds?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 04:28:15 am »

Armok just isn't into the whole pacifism deal.
Exactly. The idea stops being fun when put into practice. I wanna kill something!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 07:32:46 am »

Armok just isn't into the whole pacifism deal.
Exactly. The idea stops being fun when put into practice. I wanna kill something!

Then pacifism is not the way for you.

Or maybe it is.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8