Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: D&D Next  (Read 6847 times)

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: D&D Next
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 03:22:47 am »

I'm actually a little confused as to how spell preparation works - wizards seem to be exactly like 3rd Edition (prepare exactly the spells you want; cross out each as you cast it). Both clerics have only 2 spells per day and three spells listed as prepared; either there's a typo on both sheets, or clerics prepare a certain number of spells and then can use their spells per day as 'MP', ala Final Fantasy 1.
If it's like earlier versions, you can prepare the same spell multiple times to fill up your slots. You can even just prepare one of the spells three times, and the other not at all, if you want.

Personally I hate spell preparation, because you have to be prescient to know what you need to prepare, so it tends to result in parties taking long rests to let the wizard prepare the spell they need to get past such-and-such an obstacle in the dungeon over and over.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 03:31:41 am »

Always wanted to play DnD, still been unable to mostly.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 03:34:22 am »

Personally I hate spell preparation, because you have to be prescient to know what you need to prepare, so it tends to result in parties taking long rests to let the wizard prepare the spell they need to get past such-and-such an obstacle in the dungeon over and over

You got some lousy parties.

Generally speaking the way Wizards function is you have their Forward offensive array, their back defensive utility array, and then their Utility array.

Sorcerers, because of their lack of known spells, have to focus hard on getting as much use out of known spells as possible. A good move for a sorcerer is to take spells that allow a wide field of use such as the Shadow Conjuration series.

The Sorcerer's major weakness is that the game was build for wizards and often they get stuck at levels that are filled with spells that will quickly become outdated or spells that have very specific effects that arn't useful yet. Sorcerer's have to overcome large fodder levels.

Always wanted to play DnD, still been unable to mostly.

There are many programs that allow you to play dungeons and dragons online. Personally I use OpenRPG (But that has went far downhill) but there are many people who use other programs such as Maptool with Skype to handle the conversation.

Heck maybe I should get a small game going.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 03:36:00 am by Neonivek »

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 03:55:36 am »

Actually I've just read the cleric's sheet, it does read more like MP doesn't it?

I read it like this:
Wizard prepares some of the spells he has into his spell slots, and then has to use those spells/slots. Thankfully, he now gets plenty of at-will spells/cantrips that are actually useful, so (unlike 3rd edition) he doesn't need to rest constantly.

Cleric prepares all the spells they know. Then during the game they cast them using a spell slot, which uses up the slot but not the spell (which can later be cast again using another slot, if wanted).

It adds a nice difference between the two styles of magic.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 04:11:53 am by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 04:16:23 am »

So Clerics are now a perfect combination of Wizard and Sorcerer.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 04:30:07 am »

I'm actually a little confused as to how spell preparation works - wizards seem to be exactly like 3rd Edition (prepare exactly the spells you want; cross out each as you cast it). Both clerics have only 2 spells per day and three spells listed as prepared; either there's a typo on both sheets, or clerics prepare a certain number of spells and then can use their spells per day as 'MP', ala Final Fantasy 1.
If it's like earlier versions, you can prepare the same spell multiple times to fill up your slots. You can even just prepare one of the spells three times, and the other not at all, if you want.

Personally I hate spell preparation, because you have to be prescient to know what you need to prepare, so it tends to result in parties taking long rests to let the wizard prepare the spell they need to get past such-and-such an obstacle in the dungeon over and over.

That's what scrolls are for, and why wizards start with scribe scroll. You scribe the spells that you are not going to be using on every expedition but will want if the circumstance comes up, and load up on the spells that you can be reasonably sure of wanting to use all the time.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 06:30:43 am »

Is this the edition where WoTC said it was going to be mix-and-match rules? So like you can choose to use vancian casting or not, you can play it like 4th edition or 3rd, etc? Or is that something else?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2012, 06:45:16 am »

I don't care what it ends up being, I just want to play it.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2012, 07:43:32 am »

I'm signed up, but am having trouble getting the rulebooks. Looks like a good idea. I expect the feedback to end up like this, though.

"Hey, could this be more like 3.5? But uh... a little different?"
"You mean like Pathfinder?"
"Perhaps."

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2012, 07:45:10 am »

the healing cleric just kind of says 'screw it' to ever rolling for healing (he automatically rolls maximum) when he hits 3rd.
I think you're wrong on this :
It's one of the choices available at lvl3.
Look at the other 3rd level cleric bonus : defensive stuff.

They just seem to choose a feature at each level, and this one is available...

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2012, 07:55:00 am »

the healing cleric just kind of says 'screw it' to ever rolling for healing (he automatically rolls maximum) when he hits 3rd.

I do like this option, though I'll have to do some math and figure out the optimal path.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2012, 08:03:45 am »

That's what scrolls are for, and why wizards start with scribe scroll. You scribe the spells that you are not going to be using on every expedition but will want if the circumstance comes up, and load up on the spells that you can be reasonably sure of wanting to use all the time.

Well in  D&D next there doesn't yet seem to be "scribe scroll", so you can't do that. The wizard can prepare "comprehend languages", but why would you in most dungeon delves? (unless you knew beforehand you would need to speak to something that you don't have a common language with). It would be nice to be able to cast utility spells like that unprepared, but perhaps taking longer to cast them.

Though again, now that the wizard has 3+ combat at-will spells, it's a lot less important to prepare combat spells, so maybe you would prepare comprehend languages, just for the hell of it.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2012, 09:10:45 am »

It really sounds like they're aiming to strike a balance between 3rd and 4th. Thats probably a good thing.

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2012, 12:20:58 pm »

Neonivek mentioned rests on the last page; that mechanic is still in. Instead of healing surges, at each rest you can choose to roll a number of your hit die and heal that much (although you need uses from a healer's kit, apparently; there doesn't seem to be any actual check involved though). You also add your Constitution modifier to each dice. So pretty much each PC can restore himself to (more-or-less) full HP once by taking ten minute rests between encounters.

I do wish we had more character creation rules because it's unclear what will be an option in the full rules and what's determined by your Background and Theme. The dwarf cleric's third level up passage says you gain Hold the Line because of your Guardian background*, which implies it's an option you're technically choosing at first level.

*except Guardian is the guy's Theme, not his background <_>

Still, my main point was that the rogue not being able to roll under 10 and the healer cleric being so much better at healing starts to make the roles a little rigid for my tastes. There's nothing really wrong with it, but eh.

-

At this point I think I'm going to sit out on the actual playtesting. I've got plenty of Pathfinder games already going, and they haven't presented me with enough choices/mechanics to make me actually interested in running or playing a game at this point. I do like what I've seen, though, and hopefully a future playtest will catch my interest.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2012, 01:04:49 pm »

The wizard can prepare "comprehend languages", but why would you in most dungeon delves?

Because it is one of the most useful spells you can cast and the only time it isn't is when you know a place already has a language that you know.

It is less useful with dungeon masters who always rely on common or with completely featureless dungeons.

Comprehend languages is so useful in fact that I often take the helm of comprehend languages.
Pages: 1 [2] 3