Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 406950 times)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #1860 on: November 23, 2014, 10:10:33 pm »

Maybe expand on why they favor certain colors. Like orks prefer red cause it goes faster.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: November 23, 2014, 10:34:50 pm »

I hate Orks. But love Orcs.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: November 24, 2014, 07:41:20 am »

Tell you what, Hella Funtime Adventure Friends is basically the best forum game material you can get. (I doubt the game would realistically be playable on a four-year scale though, but that's just me.) Someone make it happen because we all know what happens when you assign me as a GM. :I

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: December 02, 2014, 07:19:52 am »

So, because of this quote:
UT actually. Could've gone pro if he hadn't joined the navy. Ain't no beltway pansie.

Related, Armstrong/Ork forum game
I decided to make a quick little intro for some kind of Armstrong/Ork forum game because it's late and I refuse to go to sleep:
Except it's gone.
Mother trucker.
Oh well, whatever:
It's always nice to lay back once in a while, just relax from all your hard work and know that someone else will be doing it for you.
Well, getting your heart crushed by a cyborg ninja may not be the best way to begin a forced vacation, but there you go.

"You and I... Are kindred spirits, deep down." He doesn't reply, he doesn't need to, you can see the acceptance in his eyes.
You drift asleep... And wake up.
On excelsior, no less, wasn't this thing destroyed by both you and that cyborg ninja dude?
"OI, Armstrong, get up, we do have all day, but I would prefer if you stopped pretending if you had any injuries anymore."
"Yhea, yhea, give me a minute, having your heart forcibly crushed isn't the best way to s..."
"Remembering already? Good, saves me the trouble of explaining everything to you, all you need to know right now is that this is purgatory for you and iiiivve got a proposition for you!"

Upon saying this, he whips out an old and crumpled document, with dozens upon dozens of names signed onto the bottom line, including a couple that come from cartoon shows.
But the basics of it is obvious, it's a one time only chance at revival, in a place where you can truly show your strength.
"Right, this doesn't seem like I would get away scot free from this, what do you want in return?"
"Nothing, really, I just find you a very interesting person, and I do always love those stories, perhaps you'll succeed, perhaps you won't, I don't know."

He leans in closely for his next sentence.
"But I love it when they don't.

Anyway, cig for your troubles? Can't hurt you here."
He hands you a cig and a lighter.
"Sure, I guess." You take a deep drag and motion for him to give you the paper.
Signing using some sort of jet black pen, your name glowing slightly even in this sunny morning, the paper vanishes, replaced with a small box, containing 8 different syringes, all with small notes explaining their uses.
"Good, I guess you didn't have any other choice in the matter, oh yes, and you can only choose 2 of those upgrades.
By the way, my name's Fred."
He disappears as well, leaving a glowing portal behind, that's probably going to get you where you have to go.

But first, the decisions.

Good, so, I'm thinking of having skills like:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: December 09, 2014, 01:15:09 am »

I had an idea for a chaotic game where people channeled various genres in order to cast magic with a large amount of arbitrary limitations (such as gaining a military grade mechanized exoskeleton for a limited amount of time by making a monologue in the rain after getting to first base with someone whilst in close proximity to a murder victim). After working on the system, it ended up as some sort of strange cross between Perplexicon's Rune system and Phantom Dust's Deck system. So instead, I'll present it as a magic/ability system based around customizable decks of cards.

Players have two decks, a resource deck and an ability deck. Both decks are progressively drawn according to some sort of criteria (turn, damage taken/dealt, collectables, etc) with the resource deck drawn at a faster rate. The decks do not run out, they just determine the probability of drawing a certain card. There is a maximum hand size however and upon having a full hand, no more cards can be obtained except by discarding which is a free-action.

Each ability card has its own set of slots. It becomes loaded when every slot is filled by either a resource card or a loaded ability card and acts in accordance to how its loaded. Once a slot is loaded with a card, that card cannot be removed (this includes by ability cards that haven't been loaded yet) except by some sort of ability.

Suppose the ability card Basic Projectile fires a basic projectile determined by a slot labelled projectile with an additional effect determined by a slot labelled effect. For the sake of brevity, let us represent it as Basic Projectile (Projectile, Effect). If it was loaded as Basic Projectile (Ice, Fire), then it would launch a shard of ice wreathed in flame that would set objects on fire.

Now suppose the ability card Area of Effect (Payload, Limit, Fuel) causes an explosion-like effect with its features determined by a slot labeled Payload but can only be used if the requirements of the Limit slot are met. If Basic Projectile (Wuxia, Area of Effect (Fractal Art, Symphonic Metal, Romantic Comedy)) is used, Area of Effect would be interpreted as "if the user is performing a guitar solo on a classical instrument, they can make an object fractally repeat" (note that because the fuel slot has no effect, Romantic Comedy does not affect the ability at all aside from raising the resource card cost) and thus Basic Projectile would be interpreted as "if the user is performing a guitar solo on a classical instrument, they can fire a qi blast that releases a fractally repeating system of sub-blasts upon impact".

If it was instead loaded as Area of Effect (Zentol, Basic Bullet (The Terrible Divine, Heavy Metal), Basic Bullet (Clockwork, Muramasa)), then the user is just wasting cards and making the ability rather useless seeing as it uses three ability cards, five resource cards and cannot be activated unless there is a divine arrow charged with the power of metal nearby. If Area of Effect instead said that its power increased if more resource cards were placed into the Limit and Fuel slots, then it would be a more viable ability. Well, as viable as a costly ability that requires a bow-wielding seraphim with an affinity for Iron Maiden can be.

For an example with less rigid ability descriptions, suppose there is an ability card in the form of Ability (Basis, Power Source Alteration, Effect Modification, Activation Alteration). As is evident, it is entirely dependent on the resource cards used since it takes a base ability, changes its power source and activation requirement whilst modifying its effect with no real specification as to what it actually does. So if it was filled out as Ability (Bullet Hell Shooter, 4X Real Time Strategy, Hong Kong Cinema, Realistic First Person Shooter), reloading a firearm will drain money, raw resources and take more time than usual; proportional to the money and resources drained, the user gets more cinematic slow-motion and fires significantly more bullets with pattern trajectories. If it was filled out instead as Ability (Magical Girl Anime, Patriotic War Film, Cosmic Horror Story, Heist Film), then the user can, through the process of planning out a bank robbery, channel their BURNING PATRIOTISM and undergo a transformation sequence that temporarily turns them into a powerful shoggoth. The more patriotic you are, the greater your eldritch majesty.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: December 11, 2014, 04:49:38 pm »

So, I had an idea for a D&D 3.5 game over my long absence, because I see where II was coming from when he dropped his sandbox game.

My idea:

A powerful corporation calling itself the South Dragon Company controls much of the Cerulean Bay area. Started from a grant given by the Korrav Empire to a man calling himself Mr. Migar as a large-scale trading enterprise, it is now as powerful as a country, except it has shareholders instead of nobles. It is currently sponsoring various feudal clans in the northeast, a program to explore the terra incognita of the Infinite Wastes in the east, and a personal war with a dwarf-clan in the north over mining rights.

The public both loves and hates the SDC. One in four workers is a South Dragon employee. It is praised for some of its acts of goodwill, such as giving aid to the poor and increasing the national wealth of the Korrav Empire, but it is criticized for being enigmatic about its aims and holding such great power over the world, coupled with widespread rumors of corruption. Rumors abound, both good and bad; some claim their employees are continuously under the effect of Charm Person spells, while others spread the idea that the company is developing a cheap and effective way to bring widespread usage of magic to the general population.

The players would give their characters' opinions on the SDC before play, and would be split into two groups early on, with NPCs filling the gaps in the party until the groups could meet and join forces.

Oh, and there's a technically impossible (enchantments add up to like +12 or something) magic greatsword as a plot item.

Sound interesting?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: December 11, 2014, 05:31:45 pm »

I would recommend you update the games you have first. Angeron has been waiting eagerly... But I'd probably sit this one out...

Though now seems like as good of time as any to mention my intent to run a horror themed 3.5 game. 4 players. Likely death. The goal being to simply survive. Not as well fleshed out as your but some people have asked me to run it so I figured I'd put it out there tht I'm considering it.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: December 11, 2014, 06:48:23 pm »

I'm going to update them, but later. I wasn't about to make that just yet, anyway. I still have some things to finish writing first, anyway. Later tonight?

I'm probably going to leave the horror campaign untouched. Unless you mean Lovecraft-style horror, in which case I'm totally in.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: December 11, 2014, 06:50:40 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: December 11, 2014, 07:46:14 pm »

That does sound like a neat setting.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: December 12, 2014, 01:38:13 am »

So I'm looking at the Savant from Dragon Compendium, and I'm looking at incantations, and while they don't line up perfectly, since only one person needs to be making the checks of an incantation, but if somebody had a ritual magic system similar to Incantations but requiring checks from all participants they would be the Savant's bag.

Er...

So... is anyone planning a Gestalt campaign soon?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: December 12, 2014, 11:01:39 pm »

So I'm looking at the Savant from Dragon Compendium, and I'm looking at incantations, and while they don't line up perfectly, since only one person needs to be making the checks of an incantation, but if somebody had a ritual magic system similar to Incantations but requiring checks from all participants they would be the Savant's bag.

Er...

So... is anyone planning a Gestalt campaign soon?

I am technically planning a Gestalt-ish campaign, just having a mental block on it.  Mostly related to art.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: December 13, 2014, 12:27:55 am »

Anybody know if someone is running or is wanting to run a pathfinder game that I can join? (Wasn't sure where to ask this but here seemed fine)
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: December 13, 2014, 11:22:01 am »

You know what I think would be nice?
A Skulguderry Pleasant game. I mean, I know that the setting is probably unsuitable for RPs, but still. I like that series. Obviously, I wouldn't GM it because I am shit as a GM, and even more shit at making actual systems that are supposed to work, but still. Although...
BRB, checking for anything MP-like in the series.
Edit: Apparently not... Still probably not gonna run this, but I can work with this.
Edit2: Also, I really need to find Book 9 somewhere around here.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 11:41:48 am by BlitzDungeoneer »
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: December 13, 2014, 11:04:55 pm »

So this looks fun. And it comes with a character generator for it.

Would anyone be thinking of running a game of it?
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 238