Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130

Author Topic: Atheism/Religion Discussion  (Read 180610 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Atheism/Religion Discussion
« Reply #1905 on: December 27, 2012, 12:21:53 pm »

It is possible to test whether or not Yahve exist. Are the myths about what he have done true or false? If false, he does not exist..What we can't disprove is some anonymous supreme GOD figure that we can't possibly interact with or understand (something which Yahve obviously isn't as described by religious folks), but Yahve/God/Allah can be disproven by the exact same methods we use to disprove Thor, Athena, Osiris or Shiva, or any other deity of any religion.
Love, scriver~

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: December 27, 2012, 12:24:58 pm »

Ukranian Ranger, do you worship the bastard? After all, not doing so doesn't seem to have any additional ill effects.
Bastard? Strange word used

I like the world created by him. I believe in him. I am fine with his methods. I am not going to cry that sufferings exist in the world, because
1) That's our own fault
2) World is still a great place to live
3) It's only the first steps in eternal life

But that women couldn't choose another path to avoid rape is bullshit.
The point is that she wouldn't know which path to take.

So what? Still it's a result of her actions

Do you admit that some actions (or lack of) increase chances to get raped?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 12:30:37 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: December 27, 2012, 12:30:56 pm »

Ranger, when did you come too this set of beliefs? I'd also be interested in hearing the worst experience you've had.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: December 27, 2012, 12:34:54 pm »

sufferings exist in the world, because
1) That's our own fault
Yes, it's totally our fault that earthquakes and tsunamis and hurricanes and meteors and volcanoes and diseases and death and idiots happen. I agree with you.

Let's play a game. You have a gun, and a random stranger has a coin. If he flips heads, you shoot him in the face. Would you be okay with that game?

Purely hypothetical, by the way. Don't get any ideas.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 12:43:00 pm by MagmaMcFry »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: December 27, 2012, 12:39:09 pm »

Ignoring Ranger, what Christianity at least is forgetting is that religions live and die by their prophets and the changes they make. If Martin Luther King hadn't been religious i suspect there would be less, possibly much less Christians amongst at least black people, and it's been 40 and a bit years since then. Religions do not revel in stagnation, regardless of what some of the Anglican and a large portion of the church think. Without a figurehead, they'll burn out, and i say good riddance.
Reading a thinner book

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: December 27, 2012, 12:44:14 pm »

Partially that's true, partially it isn't.

It's true, religions do better with a figurehead.  So does everything else.

But second, Christians don't really forget that.  We know things do better with a leader.

And third, they won't entirely burn out.  Some branches/denominations will, sure.  Like Catholic, for instance.  But some churches are unstructured.  Y'know, the churches that don't have a hierarchy of believers.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: December 27, 2012, 12:49:12 pm »

Ranger, when did you come too this set of beliefs?
As long as I remember mysefl

I'd also be interested in hearing the worst experience you've had.
Broken spine.

Yes, it's totally our fault that earthquakes and tsunamis and hurricanes and meteors and volcanoes and diseases and death
Well, I don't think that death is something bad. Just a part of a life.

Let's play a game. You have a gun, and a random stranger has a coin. If he flips heads, you shoot him in the face. Would you be okay with that game?

No. And how is this related?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: December 27, 2012, 12:50:34 pm »

Why did you deserve that?
Reading a thinner book

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: December 27, 2012, 12:55:01 pm »

Why did you deserve that?
I don't know why God was so kind to me :D
Seriously if I hadn't got that trauma I would be a very different person. Basically I wouldn't exist, some other person would. I am grateful for that

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: December 27, 2012, 12:56:32 pm »

Why do you get better treatment then others?
Reading a thinner book

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: December 27, 2012, 12:57:30 pm »

All right, I apologize to all of the civil posters for mentioning rape. I would not have done so if I had thought it would bring the danger of bans and a locked thread.

UR, I do not have the choice to fly by my own power, but I have the choice to murder someone. You argue that I have the choice to try flying, and it isn’t God’s fault if I break my legs. After all, it’s just a feature of the universe that he made that gravity pulls you down and breaks your legs, and, if you’re stupid enough to ignore it, it will hurt you.

Now consider what God could have done. He could have made a universal law that people who try to torture children are immediately teleported to some kind of cosmic prison. It isn’t God doing it any more than it’s God that pulls me down to the ground and breaks my legs when I try to fly, it’s just, like gravity, a feature of the universe. The offender is released after a month of incarceration, again, not by God, but it’s just the way the world works. A conversation we would have had in that universe would have gone “God already violates our free will by sending us to cosmic prison!” And you might have replied, “God isn’t going to protect you from consequences. If you torture a child, don’t blame God when you are teleported to prison.” By your reasoning, that would be a universe in which children aren’t tortured and we keep our free will, and if God is a just and moral god he would have chosen a universe without children being tortured, so why aren’t we living in that one?

This is, again, completely ignoring that free will is a nonsensical idea, and we are also ignoring all the suffering that is not a consequence of human beings, and we are ignoring all the suffering that happens to creatures that are not human, and all the suffering that happened before human beings even existed, but we can go over those points later.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: December 27, 2012, 01:03:50 pm »

actually, UR believes god is an asshole and he's comfortable with suffering and all that jazz.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: December 27, 2012, 01:06:45 pm »

You want me to understand actions of the being that is much more complex and advanced than me? It's same as asking bacteria to understand some action of a human
What I am very not sure about is that it was a result of God's action. It's quite possible that it was a result of some unknown laws created by God, including results of human actions, decisions, thoughts and prayers

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: December 27, 2012, 01:17:51 pm »

You want me to understand actions of the being that is much more complex and advanced than me? It's same as asking bacteria to understand some action of a human
The whole thing is moot then, isnt it?

For practical purposes, a random system and an unknown system(especially one that is that unknowable) are identical.

I assume you pray, or believe that prayer has power? May I ask what the point it, when it is unfalsifiable if it even has an effect, or if it wont have the opposite effect to what the praying person intended?

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: December 27, 2012, 01:19:59 pm »

What I am very not sure about is that it was a result of God's action. It's quite possible that it was a result of some unknown laws created by God, including results of human actions, decisions, thoughts and prayers

So, if we can't comprehend it, why is accepting it the default?
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130