Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 638

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 694067 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #7020 on: February 28, 2021, 04:29:17 am »

You've never heard of targa (TGA) format?

Never heard of Targa Party?  Oh my. I must be very old indeed.

Before JPEG, it was THE format to share true color images in.  Corel Draw and Paint used it heavily, and it was very popular in the early 90s.

Since you are obsessed with quality, use PNG.  It is lossless when compressed properly.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 04:30:51 am by wierd »

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #7021 on: February 28, 2021, 05:11:07 am »

Everyone should just use postimages.org instead.  No muss, no fuss.

Oh god. Flashbacks of hosting IRON GLADIATOR on imgtc. All. Gone.

(3D mech forum game)
Awesome With Autism

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7022 on: February 28, 2021, 05:15:25 am »

Just be aware that postimages can be a little odd at times... I was putting together a ropework tutorial for someone and it apparently decided that half the images were nudes, so it hosted them on its adult-rated sister site instead. And the direct image links I used in my message did not directly link to the images, so there were some *interesting* ads visible for the ones that were hosted via the adult site.

YMMV. I do definitely appreciate the ease of use and having a built-in deletion timer

EDIT:

Everyone should just use postimages.org instead.  No muss, no fuss.

Oh god. Flashbacks of hosting IRON GLADIATOR on imgtc. All. Gone.

(3D mech forum game)

I was a dingus and hosted all my stuff via TinyPic (WITH an account!). Basically everything I've used images for, like the journals from India/school/army, Death and Glory, and the Majesty/HellSign LPs (this was actually what ended up finally killing the HellSign LP; I didn't manage to sort through all the pictures to re-upload them somewhere else in order and edit the posts to fix them)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7023 on: February 28, 2021, 05:47:29 am »

Before JPEG, it was THE format to share true color images in.  Corel Draw and Paint used it heavily, and it was very popular in the early 90s.

Well, that shows my youngness. I'm surprised no big retro Youtuber (the ones I know) has done videos on it, at least about the original graphics adapter that introduced the format.  Any other old file formats that were once really common, but are now utterly unknown unless you were around during that era?

Quote from: wierd
Since you are obsessed with quality, use PNG.

Done and done. I always go for compression level 9 out of 9. Of course, it's balanced by the fact that I don't enjoy hogging people's bandwidth, so I do sometimes show things in JPEG if they're too big. Just know that I keep lossless PNG masters of my work.

It is lossless when compressed properly.

Wait, are you implying that there exist PNG encoders that were lossy by accident?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #7024 on: February 28, 2021, 06:32:35 am »

Targa's not that old, is it? I remember it being semi-common in game texturing fairly recently.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7025 on: February 28, 2021, 06:33:40 am »

Targa's not that old, is it? I remember it being semi-common in game texturing fairly recently.

Yes, TGA is used as a texture format for a lot of programs, because it compresses "Very gently", and thus recompresses inside a bulk archive very well. It is also truecolor aware, and all that.

Well, that shows my youngness. I'm surprised no big retro Youtuber (the ones I know) has done videos on it, at least about the original graphics adapter that introduced the format.  Any other old file formats that were once really common, but are now utterly unknown unless you were around during that era?

Since you are obsessed with quality, use PNG.

Done and done. I always go for compression level 9 out of 9. Of course, it's balanced by the fact that I don't enjoy hogging people's bandwidth, so I do sometimes show things in JPEG if they're too big. Just know that I keep lossless PNG masters of my work.

It is lossless when compressed properly.

Wait, are you implying that there exist PNG encoders that were lossy by accident?

Lossy PNG is indeed a thing.

https://pngmini.com/lossypng.html

Make sure your encoder does things correctly.

Other obscure formats?

.HPGL and .HPGL2

:)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 06:36:20 am by wierd »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7026 on: February 28, 2021, 08:29:04 am »

Lossy PNG is indeed a thing.

https://pngmini.com/lossypng.html

Make sure your encoder does things correctly.

I closed Firefox by accident and couldn't get the numbers back, but the TL:DR is that I checked my PNG masters against my raw databent versions using FFmpeg, and I got an SSIM of exactly 1, and a PSNR of infinity. Irfanview's PNG encoder is perfectly lossless.

Then I wanted to use ImageMagick to verify even further (FFmpeg isn't the right tool for this), then I got these bizarre results where I could compare an image against itself with SSIM, and somehow it gets 0.386893. What. It's the same damn image; how the fuck can an image compared with itself only be 38% similar? I think there's something wrong with my copy of ImageMagick.

Code: [Select]
D:\foo\bar>magick compare -metric ssim foo.png foo.png null

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7027 on: March 01, 2021, 05:12:42 pm »

There was/is an RPG system out there with a basic concept that explained how heroes (PCs) were so much more powerful and able than the common peasantry, by stating that passion itself would grant a person power, and as such the upper class sought to keep the lower classes dispassionate and passively content. The system also featured a sort of ability "tree" characters would move along during challenges, such as a fighter changing stances every turn with different effects resulting from where in the "tree" they were located. This offered a tactical choice between going down short branches for immediate gains, or aiming for longer branches and more powerful abilities once reached in that conflict.

It was one of the RPGs examined briefly in the FATAL and Friends list, but I can't remember the name of it. Anyone point me in the right direction?

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7028 on: March 01, 2021, 05:38:06 pm »

Anyone point me in the right direction?

The 'Forgotten the name of this game' thread is here.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7029 on: March 01, 2021, 05:55:26 pm »

Anyone point me in the right direction?

The 'Forgotten the name of this game' thread is here.

That generally refers to computer/video games, this is a TTRPG, I figured it would fall under a different classification

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7030 on: March 01, 2021, 07:25:38 pm »

There was/is an RPG system out there with a basic concept that explained how heroes (PCs) were so much more powerful and able than the common peasantry, by stating that passion itself would grant a person power, and as such the upper class sought to keep the lower classes dispassionate and passively content. The system also featured a sort of ability "tree" characters would move along during challenges, such as a fighter changing stances every turn with different effects resulting from where in the "tree" they were located. This offered a tactical choice between going down short branches for immediate gains, or aiming for longer branches and more powerful abilities once reached in that conflict.

It was one of the RPGs examined briefly in the FATAL and Friends list, but I can't remember the name of it. Anyone point me in the right direction?

I've got nothing.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7031 on: March 01, 2021, 08:11:08 pm »

Is 8pm too late to do a first-date-zoom-call thing?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7032 on: March 01, 2021, 08:14:22 pm »

time has no meaning with agreed upon zoom calls

depends on schedules and desires of those involved; the only too late is if someone involved wants earlier

If you're wondering if it's late enough to start adopting cultural signals of being an attempt at a long distance booty call, though, hell if I know. That mess varies by region and culture.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7033 on: March 01, 2021, 08:16:27 pm »

What no

Calling late has implications of a booty call

That ain't the intention at all ahahaha
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7034 on: March 01, 2021, 08:31:05 pm »

I mean, honey, you callin' when it's bed time you maybe ain't calling for a chat, know what I mean?

Eight's probably not that late for most societies, but much later than that's questionable, and it's late enough a long call could start veering into "let's take this to bed" territory, y'know?

Any case, proper time depends on the schedules of the folks involved, really, and how long y'all plan the thing to last. There's not really going to be a set ~proper time~ for something that doesn't involve open hours, just what fits with other stuff the people involved needs to get done.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 467 468 [469] 470 471 ... 638