Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 639

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 694158 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #7200 on: April 20, 2021, 07:55:33 am »

My takeaway is that nerds were a mistake, not the internet.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7201 on: April 20, 2021, 08:12:19 am »

Nerds exist everywhere, even before the Internet. It's just that the Internet catalyzed the hellish coalescence of nerds, so I think nerds were a mistake, but the Internet is even more of a mistake for accelerating it. And you know who made the Internet? Nerds! Mistakes breed mistakes. The Internet is proof.

...and I'm saying this on the Internet. This must be what it feels like to watch those inspirational "social media bad" videos on Facebook, then liking and sharing said videos, on Facebook.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7202 on: April 20, 2021, 08:16:46 am »

In time, nerds will cause the Great Singularity, and we will all become the Interneardth
Love, scriver~

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7203 on: April 20, 2021, 12:32:26 pm »

I am a nerd.

What is lacking is a brief history of nerddom.  I'll attempt to illustrate, since some of these events may predate some of our nerdlings.  I'm sure others will fill in the gaps.

Prior to Bill Gates becoming a Millionaire, nerds did not out themselves in high school settings.  They did however find some solace in College.  Bill Gates becoming a Millionaire, and more, was the start of Nerd acceptance.

Nerds in these early days were still social outcasts, but they could socialize without suffering beatdowns from other students (mostly).  School staff started protecting them.

Because this generation of Nerds was still heavily mistreated by their peers, they tended to mistreat one another for not being the right sort of nerd.  You could get harassed because you didn't like the right kind of anime, for example.

Fast forward to 2007 and the Big Bang Theory.  Finally, nerds were mainstream.  They were given a role model for how to interact in public.  You start to have people who are NOT nerds claiming to be nerds.

...my biggest fear is the pushback, the correction.  That time when society inevitably goes back the other way, and the nerd harassment returns.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7204 on: April 21, 2021, 01:35:55 am »

Damn nerds thinking they're so great, well they're not there are way better candies out there than them!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7205 on: April 21, 2021, 02:01:35 am »

Damn nerds thinking they're so great, well they're not there are way better candies out there than them!
I may be mixing up my candies here, but Nerds taste like flavored chalk. Barely-flavored chalk. I don't know who the target audience is, but it sure as hell ain't me. I prefer breath mints myself, entirely for the taste. That sensation of having my tongue "burn" from the mint flavor is addictive.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7206 on: April 21, 2021, 07:51:02 am »

Definitely mixing them up. Nerds are the tiny crunchy ones, quite sweet. You might be thinking of stuff like Pez, the ones with a variety of fancy dispensers, which did indeed have something of a chalky taste.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
« Reply #7207 on: April 22, 2021, 11:28:45 pm »

What happened to Naturegirl? I mostly lurk but I liked her.
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7208 on: April 22, 2021, 11:54:39 pm »

I think she mentioned that college was taking up more of her time lately.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7209 on: April 23, 2021, 12:11:27 am »

Yeah, in a PM, she said that she needed to focus on her studies more, so she had to cut Bay12 out, at least for the time being. Considering her frankly-incredible post rate before she had to leave, yeah, I think that was justified. I'd imagine playing pretty much every forum game that pops up is a massive distraction.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7210 on: April 25, 2021, 12:51:54 am »

If I wanted to release some very small Python scripts (which are essentially working as cross-platform shell scripts), should I bother to package them up as self-contained executables for release, or should I just tell people to download their own copy of Python to run them? The 'packaging' option would need me to compile for at least Windows, Linux and MacOS for completeness, and I don't have a MacOS machine on hand (Linux is easy enough; I have WSL). I'd have to get an entire VM up and running for that.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7211 on: April 25, 2021, 04:40:36 pm »

I feel like the sort of people who'd be interested in that sort of download, are the sort of people who're plenty capable of setting up a Python system to run it.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7212 on: April 25, 2021, 07:07:52 pm »

... anyone know of something that would make it fairly painless to make like a meal randomizer? Basically something where you can input a number of components (individual ingredients, frozen meals, whatever) with their nutrition stats, set a few limits on total amounts of certain things (say only 60 carbs total, or a certain amount of salt or calories or somethin'), and then have it toss things together up to the limits.

I'm pretty sure it would be possible to do with a spreadsheet, but it'd be a time consuming pain in the ass and if there's an easier way it'd be nice to know about.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7213 on: April 25, 2021, 10:32:40 pm »

That's something that you need an actual programming language for, IMO--

You would need multi-dimensional arrays, ingredient data with meta tags appended, and then logic to evaluate nutritional information with-- then more logic to exclude ingredients based on their meta tags.

I would use a CSV file, just for ease of integration/modification, as the data source to populate the array with, and maybe also to set some values for the nutritional suggestion logic.  Other than that, any actual, real programming language that can deal with multi-dimensional arrays, and which can present a cogent UI to the user to select what they have in their kitchen would suffice.

Hell, Javascript in a simplistic web form would work.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7214 on: April 25, 2021, 11:32:33 pm »

My google fu is weak right now, but I'd suggest looking for one online.  I mean, I'm pretty sure there is a paid one offered through weight loss companies, so there must be a free opensource version somewhere.

Or Excel.  You can do anything with Excel.  ANYTHING.
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 639