Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 130938 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #1110 on: October 26, 2015, 10:37:44 am »

Seriously no diplomats?)
You don't negotiate with insects. :P

That said I'm with Reelya here, it is kinda strange viewed in a modern day view, though of course you also need to remember that Superman was first written in the early 1930's, which put it simultaneously still just a little bit before the golden age of science fiction started (late 1930's) and still 20 or so years before our first ever actual scientific exploration to space (as opposed to the german missiles of war). It's important to remember that at this point just the idea of "he came from another world" was still a pretty revolutionary one in america, and the idea of another planet actually being sensible on it's own (instead of just being a caricature of earth) was still one that had yet to be really developed.

Heck even modern days the (WARNING)Planet of Hats trope is still rather common, so I'm not exactly surprised if canon of something that was written 80 years ago pulls on that trope a bit. Because over the years of superhero stuff we've determined at least one solid point, you don't mess with the key points of a superheroes backstory. You can bend things all you want and fiddle with the details, but Krypton has still got to explode with all souls aboard, and Mary Jane has still got to die. To do so otherwise is to invite fan backlash similar to what we saw with the more recent fantastic four film (which had plenty of other problems, but there was still plenty of backlash on the interwebs as well). And when you are trying to make money, well, backlash isn't necessarily a thing you want to be having.

Edit: AAAAHHHHH! I've been surrounded by ninjas!
Warning - while you were typing 7 new replies have been posted
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: October 26, 2015, 10:38:18 am »

They could just wear clothes that block out Red sunlight and filters yellow sunlight into them Sergius...

Who says they have to drive 10 hours? You just said they could turn their sun yellow, to have the benefit for the entire homeworld forever. Then, they never have to drive again, ever.

Yeah, they just don't care. Mostly because there is no mystique to super powers like we have... mostly because they have access to it anyway.

I seems to me that you're imprinting an extreme form of apathy in them that is never actually shown, just to justify actions that make no sense. None of them have these superpowers, even granted by magic kryptonian cloth. They just walk everywhere and use crappy flying taxis.

Pretty much all of their "quality of life" technology becomes irrelevant with superpowers. All they would need is tech to do the really interesting things like changing the colors of suns.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: October 26, 2015, 10:45:56 am »

I seems to me that you're imprinting an extreme form of apathy in them that is never actually shown

I dunno... you live in the modern world with many things that are wonderous and fantastical to people who lived 100-1000 years ago.

I am sure the fact that you have immunization shots and don't have to worry about catching the plague and dying is astounding... But I don't see you jumping up and down and fawning over it Sergius.

But that is fine I said my part really. Mostly I just don't find the whole "Why don't they colonialize?" to be an issue, it goes against Economics to suggest they would go elsewhere.

---

Actually that is something that is quite interesting about Fiction is that they are often written from a very reader POV.

So if say... someone has magical powers... in a world where EVERYONE has magical powers. They still will treat them like they are some sort of fantastical magical power even though to them it should be mundane.

It is kind of why I look at "Live On" an Anime with interest. Because they have cards that bind and summon huge monsters! but they are so mundane to them that for the most part the majority of people just ignore it... and it is even considered "ill-mannered" to transform into a monster in public.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 10:48:11 am by Neonivek »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: October 26, 2015, 10:49:05 am »

Woa... I unleashed this damn. I'll I said is that is stupid and without explanation of the why they abandoned their colonies.

Had they have something in the movie to point out why they did it, it would have worked far better. As it stands is seems they let themselves be wiped out while deliberately saving criminals just for the laughs.

Resources run out, space too. Unless they control strictly their population numbers and resource use they'll end up needed more places to live and get resources too.

Krypton in the movie seems like a pretty barren world.

It would stand to reason that at least some space miners or people in orbit would left and survive.

Also for this they would need a hive mind as suggested.

However they where in fact breeding by some kind of DNA tinkering and cloning of sorts, each individual with a purpose even before being born, superman father went against the "law" and conceived him the "natural way". So in retrospective it seems that indeed they choose to die like a bunch of morons because they were in fact big morons, programmed to be morons from before being conceived.

Then why was superman dad special? Why he was the only one to see what was happening? Which are the odds of a population in the millions(?) that only a single guy will realize they are going to die?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 10:54:49 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: October 26, 2015, 10:51:52 am »

With regard to Superman, the current issue is somewhat canceled out by another plot hole, to with that his claim to being one of only a few remaining Kryptonians is extremely incorrect. In addition to there being no shortage of kryptonian convicts in the phantom zone there is also the Bottle City of Kandor and the entire planet Daxam
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: October 26, 2015, 10:52:31 am »

Woa... I unleashed this damn. I'll I said is that is stupid and without explanation of the why they abandoned their colonies.

Had they have something in the movie to point out why they did it, it would have worked far better. As it stands is seems they let themselves be wiped out while deliberately saving criminals just for the laughs.

Well in the original series usually the colonies just amounted to experiments or temporary colonies for some other purpose.

So if they wanted to study, say, a black hole. They will build a colony near it. Study it, then move back home when they are done.

But this is Man of Steel where Superman is Batman.

So the actual explanation is that they all whined and cried themselves to death.

With regard to Superman, the current issue is somewhat canceled out by another plot hole, to with that his claim to being one of only a few remaining Kryptonians is extremely incorrect. In addition to there being no shortage of kryptonian convicts in the phantom zone there is also the Bottle City of Kandor and the entire planet Daxam

Daxam was REALLY short lived... I don't even think it survived a single story.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: October 26, 2015, 11:02:01 am »

It seems odd to me, Neonivek, that you have created a thread that is entirely for nitpicks, but then you have to try and grade if other people nitpicks are valid or not? Should we try for a scoring system and then decide which nitpicks aren't justified, and thus couldn't possibly have ruined movies for other people?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: October 26, 2015, 11:03:38 am »

He's critiquing the nitpicks. He's a nitpick connoisseur.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 11:10:29 am by Reelya »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: October 26, 2015, 11:04:40 am »

Doesn't seem to me that it is a healthy environment for nitpicks to flourish, lots of nitpick putdowns, people are just going to take their nitpicks and homeschool them.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: October 26, 2015, 11:06:51 am »

Doesn't seem to me that it is a healthy environment for nitpicks to flourish, lots of nitpick putdowns, people are just going to take their nitpicks and homeschool them.

So your nitpicking that I am nitpicking about nitpicking?

And no, I usually leave people's nitpicks alone because it usually just amounts to something that just bugs them. I was just trying to explain the justification the series gives as well as my own feelings based on that. I never thought Reelya would suddenly change his mind via magic.

This is one of the VERY few times in this thread I have even made more then one post in response.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 11:08:36 am by Neonivek »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: October 26, 2015, 11:09:02 am »

So your nitpicking that I am nitpicking about nitpicking?

Sure, why not. But we need a separate thread to nitpick the nitpicks, and another to nitpick that thread.

Quote from: Neonivek

And no, I usually leave people's nitpicks alone because it usually just amounts to something that just bugs them. I was just trying to explain the justification the series gives as well as my own feelings based on that. I never thought Reelya would suddenly change his mind via magic.

This is one of the VERY few times in this thread I have even made more then one post in response.

Yeah, that's exactly why it seems out of place, there seems to be an obsession to criticize that specific nitpick... seriously, one or two posts is one thing, but at this point this is defending, not explaining bad logic of the authors.

The explanation that Kryptonians are literally bred to be this kind of apathic and hive minded actually makes more sense than "well, it's easier to just lie on bed and eat thru a straw so why bother doing anything else? You don't know since you have never tried it!"
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 11:13:21 am by Sergius »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: October 26, 2015, 11:12:30 am »

How much nit would a nitpick pick if a nitpick would pick nit?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 11:14:13 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1122 on: October 26, 2015, 11:18:10 am »

It really should have been "How many nits would a nitpick pick if a nitpick could pick nits?". Ugh, lazy forum posters these days...

:P Couldn't resist the urge to meta-meta-nitpick.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: October 26, 2015, 11:18:48 am »

Also, upon rereading an article on Daxam, I've found that at least one of Krypton's offworld colonization attempts was sabotaged by the supervillains Eradicator and Kem-L.

See:
http://greenlantern.wikia.com/wiki/Daxam
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eradicator_(comics)#Fictional_character_biography
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: October 26, 2015, 11:19:55 am »

Well clearly what I did must have been traumatizing to Reelya who is just balling his eyes out. Just totally emotionally destroyed.

Soon he will down a cape and cowl and become NitpickMan!
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 88