Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1008734 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #315 on: August 11, 2012, 08:58:47 am »

Don't talk to me about church please. :D Or I will turn into a terrorist, apparently.
Inexplicably works a bit better if you say you're Jewish instead. Just shuts them up without any of the terrorism connotations. Unfair, but true.
Inexplicably works a bit better if you say you're a Terrorist instead. Just shuts them up with all of the terrorism connotations. Wait...

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 11, 2012, 11:47:08 am »

So, if I start saying I'm a Jewish terrorist? What then?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 11, 2012, 11:51:50 am »

I've never been accused of terrorism for not wanting to discuss church, but I was once accused of communism for being the most liberal person in my 12 person class.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 11, 2012, 12:08:37 pm »

I've never been accused of terrorism for not wanting to discuss church, but I was once accused of communism for being the most liberal person in my 12 person class.

Why does everyone hate on communism so much? 'Oh god, they've got a liberal idealism that doesn't work, those heartless bastards!' ??? I don't get it.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #319 on: August 11, 2012, 12:24:49 pm »

'cause in modern history the communist nations have been the troublemakers. They also tended to be infected with other beliefs like the NK Juche. Being in a state of constant fear because nukes by COMMUNIST Russia for a few decades has that effect, one might say.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 11, 2012, 12:25:22 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 11, 2012, 12:29:44 pm »

EDIT: Wait, no, no politics.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 11, 2012, 12:43:39 pm »

Oh, right. Guess Communism is political right? My bad.

@ Svarte Troner: That... I lol'd to say the least.
He's fucking with us.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 11, 2012, 02:07:59 pm »

I have an avatar consisting of Mashed Potatoes. One of the few avatars on this forum that outsiders won't complain about being shoved down their throats. Because mashed potatoes with garlic is delicious.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 11, 2012, 02:26:11 pm »

Unless you dislike garlic :P

Which... I don't. But one of the folks living with me can't stand it. Definitely would complain, ohoho.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 11, 2012, 02:27:34 pm »

There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me, because they want to give something back.  They know they didn’t -look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own.  You didn’t get there on your own.  I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart.  There are a lot of smart people out there.  It must be because I worked harder than everybody else.  Let me tell you something – there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

Regardless, he said that. If it has nothing to do with my own merits, then the fact I succeed and someone else doesn't has nothing to do with me. Therefore,  "somebody else, made that happen!"

Plenty of people work hard at low-paying jobs and never get rich. Plenty of smart people work hard and make a LOT less that their WAY less bright managers / business owners. That's all Obama was saying there. Common sense really, you just choose not to comprehend.

If you worked hard and became a billionaire, it was NOT solely because of your brains and personal hard work, you had a HUGE pyramid of other brainy and hardworking people to get there. EMPLOYEES. CUSTOMERS. And lots of activities those people do that benefit business's are state subsidized.

And most of your employees and customers were educated at the expense of the community, that education cuts into training costs because you can assume at least minimal literacy. Increasing the supply of higher skilled population decreases the demand value of those skills, and keeps wages from skyrocketing. Employees and customers ride buses to work or spend money, or they drive on state-funded roads. Without bus subsidies, you couldn't get away with paying people wages so low they can't afford a car. All that's FREE SHIT that business's get that's hidden subsidies.

Employees I paid, Customers who would be worse off without my products.

You've just illustrated my point. My own merits, my intelligence and my hard work, had nothing to do with my success according to Obama.

Do you believe that Albert Einstein discovered special relativity because he was intelligent, or because he worked at the patent office or walked on government roads? The fact is, I made my business happen, even if you provided the catalyst (which I then paid my share for dozens of times over through taxes). The same way Michael Phelps parents can't say "WE JUST EARNED 18 GOLD MEDALS!!!!", no, Michael Phelps earned them. You just gave him DNA, and support for 18 years. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 02:32:54 pm by Urist_McDrowner »

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 11, 2012, 02:29:03 pm »

T'was a good thread, but alas, all good things come to end or currupt, achieving th' opposite cause.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 11, 2012, 02:34:48 pm »

There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me, because they want to give something back.  They know they didn’t -look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own.  You didn’t get there on your own.  I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart.  There are a lot of smart people out there.  It must be because I worked harder than everybody else.  Let me tell you something – there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

Regardless, he said that. If it has nothing to do with my own merits, then the fact I succeed and someone else doesn't has nothing to do with me. Therefore,  "somebody else, made that happen!"

Plenty of people work hard at low-paying jobs and never get rich. Plenty of smart people work hard and make a LOT less that their WAY less bright managers / business owners. That's all Obama was saying there. Common sense really, you just choose not to comprehend.

If you worked hard and became a billionaire, it was NOT solely because of your brains and personal hard work, you had a HUGE pyramid of other brainy and hardworking people to get there. EMPLOYEES. CUSTOMERS. And lots of activities those people do that benefit business's are state subsidized.

And most of your employees and customers were educated at the expense of the community, that education cuts into training costs because you can assume at least minimal literacy. Increasing the supply of higher skilled population decreases the demand value of those skills, and keeps wages from skyrocketing. Employees and customers ride buses to work or spend money, or they drive on state-funded roads. Without bus subsidies, you couldn't get away with paying people wages so low they can't afford a car. All that's FREE SHIT that business's get that's hidden subsidies.

Employees I paid, Customers who would be worse off without my products.

You've just illustrated my point. My own merits, my intelligence and my hard work, had nothing to do with my success.

Do you believe that Albert Einstein discovered special relativity because he was intelligent, or because he worked at the patent office or walked on government roads?
Would Einstein have invented special relativity without the governement funded university at which he studied? \(there are more examples). The governement is there for a reason, ie , to do things toghether you can't accomplish alone. Humans are group creatures. You can't survive on your own.

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 11, 2012, 02:53:14 pm »

"I'am a spam bot"

go get botted!

also english papers saying bray is british, nope wrong side of border you muppets.
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 11, 2012, 03:16:43 pm »

Politicking in non-politics thread!

That is all.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 510