Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1008644 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #4200 on: March 26, 2013, 11:18:29 pm »

Yeah, I was referring to the Atlantis thing.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4201 on: March 26, 2013, 11:22:33 pm »

Another who listen the demagogic of Al Gore instead of science.
Wait, you mean we aren't causing global warming?
And you know of scientific evidence to support this?
Indeed, right now (per my thermodynamic's lecture on new uses of green technologies) something like 95%+ of experts out there agree that humans are causing global warming. Whether or not global warming is occurring is not a political question, and it's a terrible and embarrassing fact that it has become so in the U.S. Global warming has, and always will be, a scientific question. Whether or not we do anything about global warming is a completely political question though.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4202 on: March 26, 2013, 11:41:21 pm »

The people in charge have been oilmen, they don't want people to burn less oil.

So who decided to try and find it, then? I'm pretty sure there are people who have . . . in any case, it could've been what Plato got the idea from.
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4203 on: March 26, 2013, 11:42:35 pm »

Hey, if I was made of oil I wouldn't want people to burn a ton of it.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4204 on: March 26, 2013, 11:43:28 pm »

Oh, you know what I mean :D

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4205 on: March 26, 2013, 11:43:39 pm »

Frankly, it's even more embarrassing than the way that a religious interest group railroaded "intelligent design" and "controversy" over evolution until it actually became a thing.

You can ignore the first twelve pages of attempted justification added after they were called out on it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4206 on: March 26, 2013, 11:48:00 pm »

I never got intelligent design. Are they saying something intentionally sparked evolution, or that it doesn't happen at all? Because if they're saying it doesn't happen at all I think I give up on the human race.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4207 on: March 26, 2013, 11:49:31 pm »

Not just sparked, but guided. Which is... kinda not evolution.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4208 on: March 26, 2013, 11:52:40 pm »

I never got intelligent design. Are they saying something intentionally sparked evolution, or that it doesn't happen at all? Because if they're saying it doesn't happen at all I think I give up on the human race.
Depends on who you're talking to. Some think that an intelligence started the whole thing but let it run. Others think that an intelligence guided every step of the process, or that individual creatures and plants kinda "decided" to grow lungs or legs. And then there are the hardcore crowd who think that everything was created "as is".

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4209 on: March 26, 2013, 11:55:09 pm »

And why do they feel the need to have it explicitly said one way or the other? Why can't they just let people decide for themselves?

It's not like there's a real difference in outcome or anything. Well, except with the Creationist looneytunes. Those guys don't know what they're talking about.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4210 on: March 27, 2013, 12:04:12 am »

The problem is that the creationists (or "intelligent design-sts") want the stuff taught in a science classroom. Considering the lack of evidence so far regarding any sort of intelligent design, it's not an appropriate venue.

At least, that's the way I understand it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4211 on: March 27, 2013, 12:11:25 am »

Essentially, yes. Trying to have faith (or any type of philosophical thought, for that matter) taught as if it were science is bad in so many ways, not least because it assumes that real science and faith are incompatible. As far as I'm aware the U.S. is one of a very short list of countries where there's actually a strong sentiment of it being "Faith vs. Science" rather than them being two separate and largely unrelated topics.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4212 on: March 27, 2013, 12:18:06 am »

We kind of have that sentiment here in Australia, but not even nearly as much.
Nobody is pushing to have creationism or any sort of religious beliefs put in a science classroom, but there are a few nut jobs claiming that there isn't enough 'spiritualism' in schools. These range from mostly harmless art types who want a meditation class where the children can 'feel free from materialistic desires and institutionalization thinking!' to the more traditional nut jobs who want a scripture class flavored to their faith of choice mandatory in all schools.

Still, a lot less here than in the US.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4213 on: March 27, 2013, 12:35:32 am »

A non-mandatory meditation class could be cool. Mandatory would kind of defeat the whole point, though.

What really bugs me about Creationism is that a God who could create the universe 6000 years ago could also have created it last week, at which point things get a little silly. Why 6000 years ago? Why are there things obviously older than 6000 years? What kind of jerk creates a world that's been pre-aged and then punishes you for thinking it's older than it is? Why create it at all if you don't want to watch it form?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4214 on: March 27, 2013, 12:46:58 am »

A non-mandatory meditation class could be cool. Mandatory would kind of defeat the whole point, though.

What really bugs me about Creationism is that a God who could create the universe 6000 years ago could also have created it last week, at which point things get a little silly. Why 6000 years ago? Why are there things obviously older than 6000 years? What kind of jerk creates a world that's been pre-aged and then punishes you for thinking it's older than it is? Why create it at all if you don't want to watch it form?

Quit poking holes in the Creationist's theories, they get upset when you do that. They try and counter with 'the human eye is far too complex to have evolved' and then we get into this: And then they get all mad, and they won't talk to you for a week.
:P

In all seriousness though, I don't care what you believe as long as you don't try to force it on people. This includes your own children. -.- Don't tell your kids your belief as if that is the only option. You need to let them decide for themselves, because brainwashing is wrong.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 510