Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Assigning Specific Clothing & Weapons  (Read 7102 times)

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Assigning Specific Clothing & Weapons
« on: August 07, 2012, 11:03:35 am »

So I have a nice candy warhammer for my Hammerer. I want him to start using it. I assign him to a squad, assign him the candy hammer as a weapon. Next time he gets a criminal, what does he do? He drops the candy hammer, grabs a silver warhammer from the barracks, and smashes the poor guy's head in. I finally get him to pick up the hammer by locking him in so it's the only one he can get to, but then he drops the thing after one hammering and goes for the silver again.

*sigh*

I need a good way to assign weapons, clothing, and armor to specific dwarves. The Fortress Guard can be done on the military screen (though whether they pick up their items is anybody's guess). But the Hammerer? Civilian dwarves? What if I want my civilians to wear, say, a copper chain shirt, just in case? Or assign armor to my woodcutters, so they don't get bisected by the next badger?

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
Re: Assigning Specific Clothing & Weapons
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 11:10:16 am »

Woodcutters, hunters, and miners have a "uniform" that consists of the equipment they need. You cannot supplement this invisible uniform so gearing them up is impossible.

You can make a uniform that has a adamantine weapon so that he will not pick up anything of any other material.  In the uniform menu, you may want to set "Exact matches" or else he will have a little leeway to pick up whatever he wants.

Or, you could go to the military screen, hit 'e' and from there hit 'W' and you can add specific weapons.

You can't tell a civilian what to wear unless you put them in a squad and add a uniform with what you want them to wear.

If you still have issues, you may have to set your uniforms to "Replace clothing" in case the clothes your dwarves already had on is conflicting with the uniform. For example, some dwarves arrive with 2 pairs of gloves on so they will never put new gloves on.  To get a dwarf to strip and start his uniform from scratch, make a new uniform that is totally empty and assign it to dwarves with too many clothes on and then unpause and after a minute assign the new uniform.

One final thing, in the most recent version my dwarves only put one boot on UNLESS you add two boots to the uniform.  You only need one entry for gloves, but you need two for boots.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 11:16:53 am by toomanysecrets »

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 04:12:23 pm »

One final thing, in the most recent version my dwarves only put one boot on UNLESS you add two boots to the uniform.  You only need one entry for gloves, but you need two for boots.

I've never had to define (2) boots in my 34.11 uniforms.  My guess is that you don't have (2) of the same quality coming out of the forge (the job produces 2 boots, but not identical quality).

Checked all my dwarves, they're all wearing (2) boots, one for each foot, even though the uniform only has a single mention of boots.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 08:06:07 am »

Yeah, this happened to one of my big forts in 34.11.  I had seen people on the forum complain about this and I thought "Oh these noobs just don't have enough boots."  Then it happened to me.  I'm glad it hasn't happened to you.